Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

Dropping off Body & Mind - Theravada

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

Dropping off Body & Mind - Theravada

Postby maaeso on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:44 pm

I have always like Theravada and Zen. Theravada due to the pali canon and the forest tradition. Zen because of teachers like Dogen and places like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America & Antai-ji in Japan.

Many may know that Ajahn Thanissaro is quite prolific in the Theravada community and in particular the Thai Forest Tradition.

He is an excellent scholar and has written many incredible works.

Lately I heard that he has a secret soft spot for Dogen and enjoys reading Shobogenzo. In particular he thinks:

The fifty-first patriarch was Priest Eihei Dogen. He studied with Priest Tien-t'ung Ju-ching. Once, during late night zazen, Ju-ching told the monks, "Studying Zen is the dropping off of body and mind." Hearing this, the master was suddenly greatly awakened. He went at once to the abbot's room and burned incense. Ju-ching asked him, "Why are you burning incense?" The master answered, "Body and mind have dropped off." Ju-ching said, "Body and mind have dropped off, the dropped-off body and mind." The master said, "This is a temporary ability; you must not approve me without reason." Ju-ching replied, "I am not approving you without reason." The master asked, "Why are you not approving me without reason?" Ju-ching said, "You dropped off body and mind." The master bowed. Ju-ching said, "You have dropped off dropping off."

Is related to Nibbana as understood in the Pali Canon/Theravada.
maaeso

Re: Dropping off Body & Mind - Theravada

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:41 pm

"Liking" is good.

Better is to be as deeply as possible adept in the practice(s) of the school you like. Or both schools. Or more.
Actually, "liking" is as shallow as it gets, if there's no more than that. :Namaste:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby maaeso on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 am

desert_woodworker wrote:"Liking" is good.

Better is to be as deeply as possible adept in the practice(s) of the school you like. Or both schools. Or more.
Actually, "liking" is as shallow as it gets, if there's no more than that. :Namaste:

--Joe

I think he takes it pretty deep ;)
maaeso

Postby Avisitor on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:07 am

Please explain dropping off body and mind
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:07 pm

g'morning, Av,

Avisitor wrote:Please explain dropping off body and mind

It is dropping body and mind. It is the dropping away of body and mind, and especially the aftermath of the dropping away. Using everything freely, spontaneously, but absolutely no sense of a body, and definitely no mind.

In Ch'an or Zen Buddhist circles, it happens suddenly (as it happened for Dogen, with his teacher Ju-ching, the teacher he had always looked for).

That's all the explanation that can be given. It's more a description. An "explanation" would have to include all the practice(s) that the awakened person had undergone/undertaken, and all the help he/she had from a teacher and sangha and myriad other cooperating causes and conditions.

Again, it's what happened to/for Dogen. And many others.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Spike on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:22 am

It is always interesting to invite the opinions of fellow students. For a definitive, valid, reliable answer, obviously it is best to rely on a trusted teacher to confirm or provide information.
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Linda Anderson on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 am

Maaeso,
I'm not a scholar so I have no idea about Nibbana, Pali Canon/Theravada... never mind I see truth when i do: "You have dropped off dropping off." In the past on this forum, I have seen Zen and Theravada folks discuss their similarities.

linda

maaeso wrote: Ju-ching said, "You have dropped off dropping off." [/b]

Is related to Nibbana as understood in the Pali Canon/Theravada.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Linda Anderson on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 am

desert_woodworker wrote:"Liking" is good.

--Joe

Like is not the keyword here.... the beauty of what Maaeso said is not attached to liking. It's a larger conversation. I see appreciation and recognition... and, a precious story about Dogen's teacher.... which I think is often missing in the seeking. Dogen dropped the dropping off, no explanation is needed.

linda
Last edited by Linda Anderson on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Linda Anderson on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 am

Spike wrote:

It is always interesting to invite the opinions of fellow students. For a definitive, valid, reliable answer, obviously it is best to rely on a trusted teacher to confirm or provide information.

I'd say the dropping of body and mind can't be explained.... and I wouldn't depend on a teacher for that either. It's unmistakable, or not. Ofc, there may be a few false starts along the way... :PP:
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Spike on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:I'd say the dropping of body and mind can't be explained....

Not a negative explanation?

Linda Anderson wrote: and I wouldn't depend on a teacher for that either.

"for that". Well, at least a teacher is good for something, then. I think I may know what you mean about depending on teachers, though. Just like the rest of us, some things are beyond them.
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Linda,

Linda Anderson wrote:Like is not the keyword here.... the beauty of what Maaeso said is not attached to liking. It's a larger conversation.

Sure, and I don't mind at all your trying to speak for the OP. The conversation is as large as we want.

Linda Anderson wrote:It's a larger conversation

It has become so, by now (but the point at question is very tiny).

But, the "conversation" is why I came back for a second brush, at the time to answer Avisitor, by the time he repeated the question.

Linda Anderson wrote:Dogen dropped the dropping off, no explanation is needed.

I agree that the best is to experience this (to enable and allow it), and to continue. Descriptions don't necessarily help to save sentient beings: only true Wisdom can do that, in them (an original Human-inheritance freed-up by correct practice). And "explanations"?: not the proper word. Descriptions, if anything.

"Liking" the similarities -- if any -- between Theravada and Ch'an or Zen Buddhist accounts of this (if indeed there are any that are similar) is just "liking" the dharma, which means liking the way things truly are. Since liking the way things truly are is no biggie (after a few minutes or hours of the initial astonishing novelty and joy of it, "like" no other), one, yes, drops the dropping. And Ju-ching, or whomever one's teacher is, will recognize that, then maybe give you a good swat, and advise you to take good care (of your realization). I.e., Practice continues, by way of "maintenance".

Such is what I'd say, and is what I am saying.

:Namaste:,

--Joe

ps Appreciation of Archaic Buddhism and of Mahayana is fine and dandy as can be (or better), if that is the "liking" in the OP. Without those bodies or vehicles, our practice would not have reached us.
desert_woodworker

Postby organizational on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:18 pm

-Question 1 Why do we love eachother?
Follow White
organizational

Postby organizational on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:30 pm

or do not?
Follow White
organizational

Postby Spike on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:56 pm

organizational wrote:-Question 1 Why do we love eachother?

"eachother"

Beautifully put
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:59 pm

org'l, Enver,

organizational wrote:-Question 1 Why do we love eachother?

It's because there are conditions of mind-body in which we are able -- or induced; have no honest choice but -- to apprehend things and others as if there is duality, and, as if there really are... Others. In other words, body and mind have not dropped away.

(trying to make the question fit the thread topic; but, Enver, your question may draw more responses if you begin a new and dedicated thread with it. I think that would be interesting)

Happy New Month,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:11 am

I think there's no connection between Archaic Buddhist ideas, and the phenomenon of dropping body and mind in the Mahayana (in Ch'an and Zen circles).

I find none.

It's been a good study: Thanks (!).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Return to Theravadan Buddhism