Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 pm
Pathway:  Board index Resources Library Zen Texts & LIterature

Great Doubt

Great Doubt

Postby Caodemarte on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Great Doubt: Practicing in the World is as far as is I am aware the only complete English translation of these important texts by great Zen ancestor Boshan. The doubt spoken of is one of three essentials of Zen practice as in Great Faith, Great Doubt, Great Determination or "small doubt, small enlightenment; great doubt, great enlightenment." The book also has equally valuable extensive commentary by the translator Jeff Shore, lay dharma heir of Fukushima Roshi and professor at the Rinzai Hanazono University. Together they provide a map of the traps, some quite subtle, to avoid in Zen practice. If you a serious Zen practioner I would highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Doubt-Pract ... Jeff+shore
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Re: Great Doubt

Postby Nothing on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:48 pm

I second that recommendation. One of the most practical books on Chan/Zen Buddhism I 've ever read.
The commentaries provided by Jeff Shore can not be more clear.
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Re: Great Doubt

Postby Dan74 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Caodemarte wrote:Great Doubt: Practicing in the World is as far as is I am aware the only complete English translation of these important texts by great Zen ancestor Boshan. The doubt spoken of is one of three essentials of Zen practice as in Great Faith, Great Doubt, Great Determination or "small doubt, small enlightenment; great doubt, great enlightenment." The book also has equally valuable extensive commentary by the translator Jeff Shore, lay dharma heir of Fukushima Roshi and professor at the Rinzai Hanazono University. Together they provide a map of the traps, some quite subtle, to avoid in Zen practice. If you a serious Zen practioner I would highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Doubt-Pract ... Jeff+shore

Thanks, Caodemarte! I will try to check it out. I've seen talks by Jeff Shore and liked them.
Dan74

Return to Zen Texts & LIterature