Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 am
Pathway:  Board index Welcome to Zen Forum International Feedback & Support

Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

For constructive feedback and support questions concerning ZFI.

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby partofit22 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 am

flutemaker wrote:
On a aside note, well I once sold a site I have been developing for 15 years. Can I say that I invested my soul in it? Yes. Did the buyer promised to maintain it properly? Yes. Did he follow what he promised? No. But I have no regrets regardless. If I no longer want to properly maintain the site I won't sit on it just for the sake of my feeling that no one would care about it rightly. Am I wrong?.. Dan, just make an offer to purchase the site for one dollar to the de facto owner and then set it straight as you see fit. I can post more quotes confirming the fact that the official ownership is with M. with no claims otherwise.


As always, your life stories (and explanations..) are appreciated -- easy to relate to and insightful- My minds eye kind of glosses over when the conversations get too technical- So thank you for speaking plainly, yet creatively-
partofit22
 
Posts: 4897
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 am

Linda Anderson wrote:As I understand it, members of this forum took full responsibility for moderation and for the payment of renewal fees.... there was discussion about zfi continuing, or not, and ppl stepped forward. I thought that Carol and Gregory made it clear that they are no longer responsible. So, imo, no one abandoned ship.


NO I have never said I am no longer responsible. I am the person who has continued to approve all the registrations by crosschecking names, IP addresses, and email addresses against entries in the "Stop Forum Spam" website.

Carol transferred the "ownership" and password of the Forum to Michael without talking to me beforehand or asking for my agreement. As one might imagine that this has caused some tension.

I have been observing (lurking) and posting from time to time.

I think the notion of "reviving" is somewhat silly. That's my opinion, because I don't see ZFI as either languishing or dying in a manner that needs reviving. ZFI seems alive and well to me. But perhaps that is because I am not trying to measure by preconceived notions. Perhaps some would consider my standards to be "low." I have always appreciated the organic quality and have no desire to market or advertise and feel no need to increase participation beyond what occurs "naturally" through the participation of the people who find their way here. I see attempts to market or advertise as too close to proselytizing for my tastes.

I am not clear what is behind the idea of "reviving"? What is the need that such an idea is trying to fulfill? What is the perceived lack?

_/|\_
Gregory
.
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
User avatar
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 am
Location: Santa Rosa, California

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby bokki on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am

LOL LOL LOL GREGORY!!! LOLhad2 log in again lllooolll

Carol transferred the "ownership" and password of the Forum to Michael without talking to me beforehand or asking for my agreement. As one might imagine that this has caused some tension.



lol lol lol y u not post more?!
lol lv u
b
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA Chef
User avatar
bokki
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby bokki on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

LOL GREGORY thank u! and d 1 about mistake! this is y zfi rocks
Gregory, dont lurk
but post! pleas!
love 2 c ur posts
love u 2
all
b :heya:
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA Chef
User avatar
bokki
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby partofit22 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:
Linda Anderson wrote:As I understand it, members of this forum took full responsibility for moderation and for the payment of renewal fees.... there was discussion about zfi continuing, or not, and ppl stepped forward. I thought that Carol and Gregory made it clear that they are no longer responsible. So, imo, no one abandoned ship.


NO I have never said I am no longer responsible. I am the person who has continued to approve all the registrations by crosschecking names, IP addresses, and email addresses against entries in the "Stop Forum Spam" website.

Carol transferred the "ownership" and password of the Forum to Michael without talking to me beforehand or asking for my agreement. As one might imagine that this has caused some tension.

I have been observing (lurking) and posting from time to time.

I think the notion of "reviving" is somewhat silly. That's my opinion, because I don't see ZFI as either languishing or dying in a manner that needs reviving. ZFI seems alive and well to me. But perhaps that is because I am not trying to measure by preconceived notions. Perhaps some would consider my standards to be "low." I have always appreciated the organic quality and have no desire to market or advertise and feel no need to increase participation beyond what occurs "naturally" through the participation of the people who find their way here. I see attempts to market or advertise as too close to proselytizing for my tastes.

I am not clear what is behind the idea of "reviving"? What is the need that such an idea is trying to fulfill? What is the perceived lack?

_/|\_
Gregory
.


Well, Gregory, this forum wouldn't even be, as it is or as it was, without a desire to revive, to renew, to create something new- The wanting of a renaissance of sorts during what appears to be dark times happens when the conditions to make it take place arise- When something would benefit from a dusting off, be it our backsides (our mind) or an altar or frond of a plant that is in our care or a forum that had become polarized and borderline hostile over time due to neglect .. the occasion to change, to evolve, is eventual- It fulfills our human ability to be the beauty we see and experience each and every day- Nothing is lacking for that to happen obviously because it already has- That doesn't mean that many of us haven't missed Carol's more frequent contributions to the forum or yours-

flutemaker indicated somebody needed to be behind the scenes doing a laundry list of things and now we know that's what you've been doing- It's more than enough for one person to do- Wouldn't you say that's true? Learning this, I think, will ease some of the tension, too- Those with an interest, take an interest -- those without don't-

I'm not a huge fan of war related programming- It's my husband's thing- So once in a while I sit and witness the D Day slaughter on a big screen while squirming and thinking I've seen this all before when in reality I never have- And I learned that I haven't from watching him watch the program as though he'd never viewed it before-

My preferences don't trump his- They aren't more important- But sometimes communicating a disinterest in any shape or form ends in defensiveness unless one's hands are empty-

I think I love people more than I will ever realize-
partofit22
 
Posts: 4897
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks for the clarification Gregory.

17 Pages later, we might forget that the OP got this whole thing going.... there were not a whole lot of fish biting for revival since none is necessary. If anything, the concern became what happens after Michael retires.... I'm just observing and guessing from the conversation.

linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
User avatar
Linda Anderson
 
Posts: 3868
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: Forestville, CA

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby Caodemarte on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:
Linda Anderson wrote:As I understand it, members of this forum took full responsibility for moderation and for the payment of renewal fees.... there was discussion about zfi continuing, or not, and ppl stepped forward. I thought that Carol and Gregory made it clear that they are no longer responsible. So, imo, no one abandoned ship.


NO I have never said I am no longer responsible. I am the person who has continued to approve all the registrations by crosschecking names, IP addresses, and email addresses against entries in the "Stop Forum Spam" website.

Carol transferred the "ownership" and password of the Forum to Michael without talking to me beforehand or asking for my agreement. As one might imagine that this has caused some tension.

I have been observing (lurking) and posting from time to time.

I think the notion of "reviving" is somewhat silly. That's my opinion, because I don't see ZFI as either languishing or dying in a manner that needs reviving. ZFI seems alive and well to me. But perhaps that is because I am not trying to measure by preconceived notions. Perhaps some would consider my standards to be "low." I have always appreciated the organic quality and have no desire to market or advertise and feel no need to increase participation beyond what occurs "naturally" through the participation of the people who find their way here. I see attempts to market or advertise as too close to proselytizing for my tastes.

I am not clear what is behind the idea of "reviving"? What is the need that such an idea is trying to fulfill? What is the perceived lack?

_/|\_
Gregory
.


Great and reassuring post!
Caodemarte
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:NO I have never said I am no longer responsible. I am the person who has continued to approve all the registrations by crosschecking names, IP addresses, and email addresses against entries in the "Stop Forum Spam" website.

Carol transferred the "ownership" and password of the Forum to Michael without talking to me beforehand or asking for my agreement. As one might imagine that this has caused some tension.

I have been observing (lurking) and posting from time to time.


Most ppl here responded to the 'reviving' thingy that it was unneeded.

fukasetsu wrote:ZFI is what it is, and it's fine the way it is.
Sure there's always room for improvement or change but that change (improvement or decline) comes naturally and spontaneously depending on the members new and old, I'm not a big fan of "trying" to improve anything which involves many ppl, if there's an intent or ideal someone imagine what a forum should be, then it is best as Joe also pointed out, to start one's own forum fresh and anew somewhere else, instead of trying to alter an already existing one.



but what got my attention is the idea that you or whoever might go awol and the site would be left to die without renewal,
so hearing from you now is reassuring and we can let zfi be and continue to shape naturally.
I think this thread is obsolete now.
Everyone for President!
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby Michaeljc on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm

And a reminder that 3 other people contributed financially to the latest subscription - not just me

Gregory has summarised the existing situation very well IMO

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Regards

m
User avatar
Michaeljc
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: Raglan New Zealand

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby partofit22 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 pm

It's evolved .. :)
partofit22
 
Posts: 4897
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby partofit22 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:NO I have never said I am no longer responsible. I am the person who has continued to approve all the registrations by crosschecking names, IP addresses, and email addresses against entries in the "Stop Forum Spam" website.

Carol transferred the "ownership" and password of the Forum to Michael without talking to me beforehand or asking for my agreement. As one might imagine that this has caused some tension.

I have been observing (lurking) and posting from time to time.


Most ppl here responded to the 'reviving' thingy that it was unneeded.

fukasetsu wrote:ZFI is what it is, and it's fine the way it is.
Sure there's always room for improvement or change but that change (improvement or decline) comes naturally and spontaneously depending on the members new and old, I'm not a big fan of "trying" to improve anything which involves many ppl, if there's an intent or ideal someone imagine what a forum should be, then it is best as Joe also pointed out, to start one's own forum fresh and anew somewhere else, instead of trying to alter an already existing one.



but what got my attention is the idea that you or whoever might go awol and the site would be left to die without renewal,
so hearing from you now is reassuring and we can let zfi be and continue to shape naturally.
I think this thread is obsolete now.


Relying on what most think on any forum can create a polarizing environment .. a sort of a group think sort of thing- Some scientists think that whales beach themselves because they're so very social creatures but die as a result of playing a deadly game of follow the leader .. :)
partofit22
 
Posts: 4897
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby bokki on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 pm

partofit
But sometimes communicating a disinterest in any shape or form ends in defensiveness unless one's hands are empty-

I think I love people more than I will ever realize-

b :heya:

fm had a few direct points
linda said its 17 pages
ill compile tmrw
so u cats get whats happening

and M, the thing is not broke, its about developing it
and fuki, y obsolete when so many suggestions were offered
b
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain
burst into flames

-Linda Anderson, aka LA Chef
User avatar
bokki
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 pm

partofit22 wrote:Relying on what most think on any forum can create a polarizing environment .. a sort of a group think sort of thing- Some scientists think that whales beach themselves because they're so very social creatures but die as a result of playing a deadly game of follow the leader .. :)


Sometimes words are just words Teresa.
But it's interesting, there's a lot of polarisation going on on zfi (as in many places off and online) we're still creatures of habit afterall, and unlike me social beings (well I'm social but in my own way :PP: )

Just look at the evolvement of how members react to Joe throughout the years, one or two members keep fucking with him and a long time later you see other's behaviour (less respectful) start to change too, it's usually "subconscious" with people but anyway reminds me of the stanford prison experiment. (Joe is just an example btw please dont take it as a new topic it happens to many members both in praise and blame)

Scientists have funny ideas, perhaps sometimes theres a david koresh among thew whales.
Play thingy is nonsense, my cats know perfectly well to stop playing and not jump of the balcony, pretty sure every whale knows it doesnt have legs.

edit: too many grammar errors to let it slip
Last edited by fukasetsu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone for President!
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:20 pm

bokki wrote:and fuki, y obsolete when so many suggestions were offered


Lately its a habit that whatever anyone types seems to be put under a magnifying glass, carry one though. :)
Everyone for President!
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby Spike on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:
Carol transferred the "ownership" and password of the Forum to Michael without talking to me beforehand or asking for my agreement. As one might imagine that this has caused some tension.


Fair enough. But knowing about Carol a little over the years, as she moderated and helped refine my posts, always for the better, I am sure she had the best of intentions.
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
User avatar
Spike
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Spike wrote:Fair enough. But knowing about Carol a little over the years, as she moderated and helped refine my posts, always for the better, I am sure she had the best of intentions.


Funny, I found her moderation to be arbitrary, ironically due to polarisation :lol2:

Which is no critique every moderator does that and I doubt it being escapable, but no doubt about her best intensions.
No reason to bring it up in the first place, since that only creates the suggestion she's capable of bad intent :PP:
Everyone for President!
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby partofit22 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
partofit22 wrote:Relying on what most think on any forum can create a polarizing environment .. a sort of a group think sort of thing- Some scientists think that whales beach themselves because they're so very social creatures but die as a result of playing a deadly game of follow the leader .. :)


Sometimes words are just words Teresa.
But it's interesting, there's a lot of polarisation going on on zfi (as in many places off and online) we're still creatures of habit afterall, and unlike me social beings (well I'm social but in my own way :PP: )

Just look at the evolvement of how members react to Joe throughout the years, one or two members keep fucking with him and a long time later you see other's behaviour (less respectful) start to change too, it's usually "subconscious" with people but anyway reminds me of the stanford prison experiment. (Joe is just an example btw please dont take it as a new topic it happens to many members both in praise and blame)

Scientists have funny ideas, perhaps sometimes theres a david koresh among thew whales.
Play thingy is nonsense, my cats know perfectly well to stop playing and not jump of the balcony, pretty sure every whale knows it doesnt have legs.

edit: too many grammar errors to let it slip


Marcel, if you're suggesting that kindness can go unrecognized I agree -- and that (all) people can appear "mean", at times- For example, when someone is frequently being a dick and then someone else decides to be a cunt in response- The cunt I assume would likely be seen as a Koresh type while the dick viewed as business as usual- Not unlike scientists, we all can have funny ideas .. But .. on occasion, some of the most nimble, acrobatic, yogic .. cats .. slip .. and there is nothing funny about that ..
partofit22
 
Posts: 4897
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby Spike on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
Spike wrote:Fair enough. But knowing about Carol a little over the years, as she moderated and helped refine my posts, always for the better, I am sure she had the best of intentions.


Funny, I found her moderation to be arbitrary, ironically due to polarisation :lol2:

Which is no critique every moderator does that and I doubt it being escapable, but no doubt about her best intensions.
No reason to bring it up in the first place, since that only creates the suggestion she's capable of bad intent :PP:

Arrrghh, matey!
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
User avatar
Spike
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Nice summary, well yeah main thingy I had in mind is like there's usually one bully, and others "decide" to bully along (at least they're save for now) and the one being bullied due to a overdosis of dick and cutness, ends up dead stranded on a beach somewhere.

But bullying begets bullying so we need a new bully-nee, which can be the new kid in the ocean but when there's no fresh fish it ends up another one being fried which bullied along in the previous round.
Everyone for President!
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Ways of Reviving ZFI as a Zen Buddhist Forum

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Spike wrote:Arrrghh, matey!


:lol2:

sorry we haven't seen land for a while, it works on a mens mouth :)
Everyone for President!
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

 
RocketTheme Joomla Templates

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 157 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests