Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

I find what others find interesting, to now be quite boring

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

I find what others find interesting, to now be quite boring

Postby Maitri on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:26 pm

:O: Since really immersing myself into meditation, and exploring Buddhism, I’m finding social media to be extraordinarily boring. I find the whole ‘look at me’ fakeness of facebook to be depressing and sad. I hardly ever go on there now. People wonder where I’ve gone to, but I explain how boring it’s all become. They look at me like I’m crazy. I find certain message forums to be boring as well…those that if you really water them down, they’re nothing more than veiled insults and sexual innuendo all day long. Is this normal to find these things boring? Before Zen, I wasn’t enthralled with all of this, but meditation, and just trying to focus more on a Zen lifestyle, has brought me to a much different way of thought. I wonder how some of you feel about what I’m saying?
Maitri

Re: I find what others find interesting, to now be quite bor

Postby Michaeljc on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:43 pm

Welcome to our soup Maiti

I sense that you are relatively young. There are other serous younger practitioners here who you will find as time goes by

Try to find a group with whom you can get an introduction to establish fundamentals from the beginning

This, potentially, is a very powerful practice. Take care to live an ordinary life too

Bon Voyage

Michael
Michaeljc

Postby Chrisd on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Nice Maitri.
Old desire structures are crumbling and you are coming to a truer state.
Be kind to yourself and those you meet :)

best wishes and nice of you to drop by.
Chrisd

Postby Maitri on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Michaeljc wrote:Welcome to our soup Maiti

I sense that you are relatively young. There are other serous younger practitioners here who you will find as time goes by

Try to find a group with whom you can get an introduction to establish fundamentals from the beginning

This, potentially, is a very powerful practice. Take care to live an ordinary life too

Bon Voyage

Michael

I agree with you, it is quite powerful when you begin to realize all it can be. In the beginning, it was sort of meh. I wasn't pouring myself into it enough. I suppose you get out of it what you put in. :)

I'm in my early 30's by the way, not as young as you might think. lol :lol2:

I like how you say to live an ordinary life. Agreed. I think where I'm coming from right now is that we honestly don't 'need' social media and all of the trappings of it, but we convince ourselves that we must have it in order to fit in, or to even accept ourselves. I enjoy social media but not like I used to. It just is the same old thing, every day. It is nice not to cling to it like I once did to be honest. thanks for your advice.
Maitri

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Maitri wrote: Is this normal to find these things boring?

Glittery-wordly superficial stuff is without any substance or essence, you're exploring something else now which is a calling from within.
It's normal that you move on from things you took interest in previously, it's all part of the process.
One doesn't necessarely have to rule out the other, I was very dissatisfied and bored with about anything under the sun at first.
Then I fell in love with life all over again. Now all's in harmony and there's peace at heart but that's 20 years later. So just do your thingy and don't give any of it a second thought.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Maitri on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:15 pm

Chrisd wrote:Nice Maitri.
Old desire structures are crumbling and you are coming to a truer state.
Be kind to yourself and those you meet :)

best wishes and nice of you to drop by.

Thank you! Old desires, yes that's it exactly. I used to honestly CLING to the internet day in and day out for the past few years, and while it's a great tool, and I'm thankful for the ease and convenience of it, social media has become a problem for our culture, emotionally and physically. I don't ever want something to take a hold of me like that again. In looking at how some of the Zen Masters view this type of thing, it's been said that they believe less is better. Less not necessarily in quantity, but less as in lessening the complications in your life. I've had a lot of drama with guys come my way from social media, and I think that could be what is meant by it. Hope you have a good night.

@ fukasetsu, I just saw your comment after posting this. I feel better knowing you too felt this way. Maybe boredom isn't entirely the 'right' word, but it's something I can't put my finger on. Like I love life, but maybe I wasn't fulling living it before, I was existing and just doing the same things over and over, out of habit. And out of escape. Social media, how often one devotes to it, in my eyes is indicative of how happy or unhappy a person's offline life is. During the times when my life has a lot of balance, I don't enjoy it as much. During the times when it's been out of balance, I spend more time on it. Interestingly, Zen does a lot of the heavy lifting for us. :lol2: I didn't wake up one day and tell myself that I'd try to avoid face book, it just happened...effortlessly, and I don't miss it. I can only attribute that to Zen.
Maitri

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:35 pm

Maitri wrote: I was existing and just doing the same things over and over, out of habit.

Yeps, karma=habit energy. Kind of like slavery to whatever arises (habitual tendencies), thoughts, feelings, perception, consciousness.
Once you have uprooted the gross vasanas most humans struggle with you will find there's some more subtle stuff to uproot.

And out of escape.

People distract themselves to fill or escape a 'void', their minds never stop moving, as I said kind of a slavery to the body-mind.

it just happened...effortlessly.

You're endowed with good karmic roots then, don't let it go to waste! ;)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby partofit22 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:17 am

Maitri wrote:Maybe boredom isn't entirely the 'right' word, but it's something I can't put my finger on.

Maybe expectation?
partofit22

Postby Maitri on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:25 am

fukasetsu wrote:
Maitri wrote: I was existing and just doing the same things over and over, out of habit.

Yeps, karma=habit energy. Kind of like slavery to whatever arises (habitual tendencies), thoughts, feelings, perception, consciousness.
Once you have uprooted the gross vasanas most humans struggle with you will find there's some more subtle stuff to uproot.

And out of escape.

People distract themselves to fill or escape a 'void', their minds never stop moving, as I said kind of a slavery to the body-mind.

it just happened...effortlessly.

You're endowed with good karmic roots then, don't let it go to waste! ;)

I didn't know karma can be described as 'habit energy.' Maybe that is part of it.
Thank you for your comment, it is very helpful to me.
Maitri

Postby Maitri on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:30 am

partofit22 wrote:
Maitri wrote:Maybe boredom isn't entirely the 'right' word, but it's something I can't put my finger on.

Maybe expectation?

Yes, that could be. I don't know, I find face book all of a sudden just a sad place to spend time. It's nice to catch up with people that you won't see or haven't seen for a while, but facebook is far from being only about that. It's about attention seeking. It's about posting nonsense and 'expecting' likes in return. A contest of sorts. It is hard to watch friends of mine 'compete' ...who can post more selfies, more nonsense, more memes...Idk. I have a sense of humor and I like my friends, but face book changes people. Some have stayed the same, but some...it causes them to forget who they really are, and pretend they are someone else online. I find it so empty anymore. :( I have enjoyed meditation, but there are days when it is too revealing. lol I can't ignore the messages that come about after a good meditation session, for they tell me to empty myself, of myself. And since going further into it, I feel scared that I no longer like the things my friends like.
Maitri

Postby Maitri on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:35 am

By the way, there is no 'like' feature here. I like that! :lol2:
Maitri

Postby Avisitor on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:40 am

Meditation sometimes brings about insights or unique experiences into one's life
These things are just something else put in the way for the mind to stumble upon

What or how you think ... you become
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:03 am

Maitri wrote:I didn't know karma can be described as 'habit energy.'

Most people tend to think that karma is what happens to them, but I always say karma isn’t what happens, but karma is the way you react to what happens, or are inclined to react/behave.
For instance someone might call you names, or hit you, steal your bike etc you’ll also see a lot that people in relationships (friends/lovers) often tend to end up in the same situation over and over again, even though at first in appearance the guy/girl seemed totally different, yet still the same situations happen. People say “why does this always happen to me?” And I say, "why do you always react, feel, think the same way? :lol2:

Well if they’d only "see" ;) That’s why I always say everything is a blessing, the “good and bad”, there is something to be learned, when the insights do not occur, naturally stuff tends to repeat itself. When I was young (well younger) I was easily mad about stuff, I never understood why it kept happening (like school/family bullying), and every time it happened I became madder, until your mad about being mad, madness! :lol2: Until I had an insight and just couldn’t be mad anymore it changed everything (happenings) completely.

I’m not on facebook nor expect to ever be, it’s just not my thingy. I understand you’re just expressing and sharing, but if you fixate too much on what you think of facebook (or social media, or the people on them) now, that too can become habit energy, you see? Not saying that you do but it’s fun to observe in yourself if there are other tendencies evolving like that. It takes just one little seed to sprout in a big tree with lots of branches and trees (effluents) So keep up the good observing work but try to focus on yourself and not so much on others, you have no control over what happens, or the way others behave/think/feel, you do have control on how you respond/react to things. :)

Sure there are many more (philosophical) types of karma to be talked about (well not by me) I tend to stick to the practical like the above.
It’s just expedient talk though, I do not claim to have any knowledge about the subject of (Buddhist) karma.

Don’t worry about not liking the things your friends don’t like, true friends will support you in your endeavour. Living in a loophole between desire and fear, is THE habit, it’s the big prison, find your original freedom ;)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:05 am

Maitri wrote:By the way, there is no 'like' feature here. I like that! :lol2:

Very occasionally people tend to do the +1 thingy in here

It's been a long time, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it :lol2:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Maitri on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:33 am

I think you're great, fukasetsu! you have helped me so much. i agree, by focusing on the things i dislike (ie facebook or parts of it, etc) i lose focus on the good things. i read something tonight in passing, looking for something else, and thought it was brilliant.

here it is:

“I'm simply saying that there is a way to be sane. I'm saying that you can get rid of all this insanity created by the past in you. Just by being a simple witness of your thought processes.

It is simply sitting silently, witnessing the thoughts, passing before you. Just witnessing, not interfering not even judging, because the moment you judge you have lost the pure witness. The moment you say “this is good, this is bad,” you have already jumped onto the thought process.

It takes a little time to create a gap between the witness and the mind. Once the gap is there, you are in for a great surprise, that you are not the mind, that you are the witness, a watcher.

And this process of watching is the very alchemy of real religion. Because as you become more and more deeply rooted in witnessing, thoughts start disappearing. You are, but the mind is utterly empty.

That’s the moment of enlightenment. That is the moment that you become for the first time an unconditioned, sane, really free human being.”
― Osho

There are times when I've experienced moments of that type of clarity, or 'enlightenment,' but it would be something to feel it always ...

(and the +1 thing...uh oh) :lol2:
Maitri

Postby Michaeljc on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:35 am

There are times when I've experienced moments of that type of clarity, or 'enlightenment,' but it would be something to feel it always

Take care

Eventually this practice always comes back the ordinary - warts and all :)
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 am

M.,

Maitri wrote:I wonder how some of you feel about what I’m saying?

This is a sign of maturity, and great value to yourself and to society, I'd say.

Don't apologize to anyone, but don't step on toes. Brings folks WITH you, if you can. Not by "coercion", but by invisible persuasion (genuine "friendliness"). Keep up your practice!

--Joe

ps (careful of "Osho". That fellow is not a Zen Buddhist teacher. He talks a good game, ... but not even really THAT! There's much better out there, who are genuine transmitted Zen Buddhist teachers, in authentic lineages. "Osho" was never one of them. He began as some sort of fraudulent Hindu-styled fake "teacher". And then, to change to a different business-model after a while of business down-turn in the "Guru"-industry, he decided to read Zen Buddhist literature, and to fashion himself as a new sort of fraud, and put on new (phony... ) robes. It's sinister. Caveat emptor! ).
desert_woodworker

Postby Avisitor on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:55 am

Maitri wrote:I didn't know karma can be described as 'habit energy.

I didn't know that also.
For it was always the five skandhas, creating the seamless working of the self
with mental formations being the one more closely related to the volitional action which karma is created

Wait for it ... Fuki has always gives me lumps ...
Sometimes go with my coffee and mostly not ..... :coffee:
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby littletsu on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:09 am

I was listening to this Reb Anderson talk the other day and he said something like if you think others are doing something wrong (I know you said boring to you, but let's be honest, is it not implying that they should spend their time with something else?), then your task is to make friends with this very thought of yours. And also that the Buddha Way is
Good Friendship.
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby Maitri on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:33 am

littletsu wrote:I was listening to this Reb Anderson talk the other day and he said something like if you think others are doing something wrong (I know you said boring to you, but let's be honest, is it not implying that they should spend their time with something else?), then your task is to make friends with this very thought of yours. And also that the Buddha Way is
Good Friendship.

I agree with good friendship, but what do you mean by make friends with this very thought of mine?
I don't necessarily think that others are doing anything wrong per se, but I'm of the opinion that what we think has value in this life, doesn't. Where we spend our time, money and talent is what is most important to us. Since so many are clutching their phones, waiting for the next text, like or instant message to pop up on the screen...it would stand to reason that this is of importance, and we have lost our way. For at the end of it all, how many likes we all receive on face book won't matter a year from now. Or even tomorrow. lol
Maitri

Next

Return to Practical Buddhism