It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 pm
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Links & Contacts Blogs

Zen and The Art Of Dying Well---Zen Hospice Project

Zen and The Art Of Dying Well---Zen Hospice Project

Postby Monk Rob on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Monk Rob

Re: Zen and The Art Of Dying Well---Zen Hospice Project

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:23 am

Well, the article is quite good.... if you don't invest in it's title... after all, even the NYTimes identifies it as an Opiniator... they misunderstand that zen is the art of dying well.... when it is in the dying. Go past the first few paragraphs engaged in struggle to get a sense of the hospice project and how it serves the dying.

Go past this story:
In fact, we can’t afford not to have this conversation. According to the National Institute of Health, 5 percent of the most seriously ill Americans account for more than 50 percent of health care spending, with most costs incurred in the last year of life in hospital settings. Economists call this a “cure at all cost” attitude

ok, #$%^&*().... that's what I see in this. ..... then keep reading, there is the treasure of what hospice is about.

My dear friend Paula, died on Page Street in 2003 at the Zen Hospice ... she was a mentor for me and a true Bodisattva. She introduced me quite naturally and innocently to Buddhism and to the true experience of life along side suffering and joy. She took me in to cook with her. Many ppl were involved in bringing her here to die. She said it was like being in the Buddha fields. I will never forget the night she died, the staff that supported us in washing her and her departure down the steep and creeky stairs into the street at 1 am... the staff had provided us with rose petals for her departure.... the street lights at that hour and the stillness were heavenly. She had donated her body so it happened at 1 am

I do not know if the hospice is the same as I experienced.... I heard talk about concern about fire safety bec it was an old building with steep stairs... who could care besides the officials?

I am a bit flumoxed by the article and the connection of hospice and the introduction which seems a bit in a panic about how health care and the numbers of dying can be handled... and can't we solve it and stop trying to keep living... or some such nonesense.

Still, hospice is simply a Buddhafield as Paula said.. from her Memorial:

In memory of

Paula Amsbury

July 4, 1939
to
August 16, 2003

Mother of the Planetary Gods
(Za Namgyi Yum)

Homage to the Guru!

Glory to her who makes the good and
the bad suitable in this world.

The mother of the planets,
holding the pride of power over the stars,
O mother who pacifies personal danger
and protects from fear,
please make samsara a ground for
complete happiness!
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:38 am

Monk Rob wrote:http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/zen-and-the-art-of-dying-well/

Rob.... what is your take on this?
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Monk Rob on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:18 am

Linda Anderson wrote:
Monk Rob wrote:http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/zen-and-the-art-of-dying-well/

Rob.... what is your take on this?

Linda,

Thank you for your comments and sharing your experience with the Zen Hospice.

I liked the the parts of the article discussing the mindfulness/present moment aspect of the Zen Hospice. As a nurse myself, I found it to be an interesting read.

Rob
Monk Rob

Return to Blogs