Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 pm
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Links & Contacts Blogs

A Response to Broughton's Translation of Zen Master Linji

A Response to Broughton's Translation of Zen Master Linji

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:52 pm

An edited and expanded version of my post in the topic on Jeffrey Broughton's new translation of the Linji-Lu in the Zen Buddhism forum is now posted at my blog under the title "A Response to Broughton's Translation of Zen Master Linji's Record."

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Re: A Response to Broughton's Translation of Zen Master Linj

Postby Caodemarte on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 pm

I am a little confused. Are the bracketed comments in the text that interrupt the flow and seem superfluous from Broughton himself or mostly (from Oxford Publishing) the Zen commentaries that "form a body of vital, in-house interpretive literature never before given full credit or center stage in previous translations of the LJL. Here, their insights are fully incorporated into the translation itself, allowing the reader unimpeded access throughout, with more extensive excerpts available in the notes."? From the excerpts I have seen (I don't have the book), I thought the bracketed text were from the Japanese Zen commentaries (presumably identified in the footnotes), but this is unclear to me.

If you care to say, what to do you think of other translations you mentioned? Any you would recommend?
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby Guo Gu on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 am

the bracketed texts are from broughton. personally i've always like reading watson's translations (i'm thinking of his translations of the vimalakirti and the lotus sutras). they read very well and get the gist of the text. not so good for technical nuances but the flow of the text is very good.
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 am

Guo Gu wrote:the bracketed texts are from broughton. personally i've always like reading watson's translations (i'm thinking of his translations of the vimalakirti and the lotus sutras). they read very well and get the gist of the text. not so good for technical nuances but the flow of the text is very good.

I find that to be a good description of Watson's translation of the record of Linji. Very readable.

Caodemarte wrote:I am a little confused. Are the bracketed comments in the text that interrupt the flow and seem superfluous from Broughton himself ......

Broughton is a academic who seems to write mainly for his fellow academics and not for general audiences. As Guo Gu said, Broughton's bracketed insertions are all his own choices, whether or not they are supported by someone elses' interpretation. The information that Broughton passes along from the commentaries is placed in the voluminous end notes with refernce to which commentary each bit is from.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Return to Blogs