Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 am
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Links & Contacts Podcasts & Audio Portals

Sheng Yen videos on YouTube

Sheng Yen videos on YouTube

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:07 pm

A plethora of videos featuring Master Sheng Yen have been uploaded on YouTube in the recents months.
They come from Great Dharma Drum in Taiwan so they are speaking in Chinese with English subtitles. Some are so new that they have less than 200 views so far.

Here's the YouTube channel for Great Dharma Drum.

Here's one of the videos. When you watch on YouTube you will of course see many of the links to others on the side.

_/|\_
Gregory

Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Re: Sheng Yen videos on YouTube

Postby fighlite on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 pm

I have seen a couple of these when visiting Dharma Centers. I really found them informative and the production quality is really great. I watch other videos sometimes and find myself wanting to offer my services for mastering audio rather than paying attention to the theme or message of the program.

:O:
"Where there is form, already there is emptiness.
Where there is emptiness, already there is form."

--Kumarajiva
fighlite

Postby Seeker242 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:34 am

Love these videos. Although, some people might find some of them a bit "out there". Remember one video on killing he talks about spirit beings inhabiting trees and asking the being to leave the tree before you cut it down so they aren't without a home, etc. The talks are definitely geared to a Chinese audience. Probably because that is who he is actually talking to. :)
Kill a cat, with a dried shit stick, under a cypress tree in the courtyard, while eating three pounds of flax! Only a cow goes Moooo!
Seeker242

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:05 am

Seeker242 wrote:Love these videos. Although, some people might find some of them a bit "out there". Remember one video on killing he talks about spirit beings inhabiting trees and asking the being to leave the tree before you cut it down so they aren't without a home, etc. The talks are definitely geared to a Chinese audience. Probably because that is who he is actually talking to. :)

NZ Maori will relate directly with this. I find it kinda cute. Maybe it relates to a kind of respect for what constitutes a tree, which we are about to kill. How many organisms live on and in the tree? Millions in most. I can relate to this. It could also be complicated by translation.
Michaeljc

Postby Seeker242 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Michaeljc wrote:
Seeker242 wrote:Love these videos. Although, some people might find some of them a bit "out there". Remember one video on killing he talks about spirit beings inhabiting trees and asking the being to leave the tree before you cut it down so they aren't without a home, etc. The talks are definitely geared to a Chinese audience. Probably because that is who he is actually talking to. :)

NZ Maori will relate directly with this. I find it kinda cute. Maybe it relates to a kind of respect for what constitutes a tree, which we are about to kill. How many organisms live on and in the tree? Millions in most. I can relate to this. It could also be complicated by translation.

Personally, I think it relates to actual non-physical spirit beings that take up their non physical residence in trees, literally speaking. Which is really not out of alignment with traditional teachings IMO. :)

This was the actual video. Have to admit it made me cringe a bit when he talked about it. But not because I don't believe him but rather because I know a lot of people can't believe such things. And it would be a shame to dismiss what he says simply because he talks about ghosts! :)

Do the Buddhist precepts forbid us to cut down or hurt plants?
Kill a cat, with a dried shit stick, under a cypress tree in the courtyard, while eating three pounds of flax! Only a cow goes Moooo!
Seeker242

Postby Guo Gu on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 pm

in regards to other forms of sentient beings, there's much more than meets the eye. :heya: just because we don't see them it doesn't mean they're not there. most times we don't even see physical things due to our own limitations :lol2: let alone things that have no physical form.
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Carol on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Guo Gu wrote:in regards to other forms of sentient beings, there's much more than meets the eye. :heya: just because we don't see them it doesn't mean they're not there. most times we don't even see physical things due to our own limitations :lol2: let alone things that have no physical form.

:)
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Guo Gu wrote:in regards to other forms of sentient beings, there's much more than meets the eye. :heya: just because we don't see them it doesn't mean they're not there. most times we don't even see physical things due to our own limitations :lol2: let alone things that have no physical form.

:)
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:11 pm

LOL! That is the "open secret" of the so-much-more-than-meets-the-eye-zen. Most of us can rest easy with the just-what-meets-the-eye-zen and that is enough.

What ever beings we meet should not change our demeanor. But if they throw things at us we can still duck, if we can't transmute them into flowers like Buddha did.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Return to Podcasts & Audio Portals