Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:51 am
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Links & Contacts Sangha Locations & Websites

Tassajara Zen Mountain Center

Tassajara Zen Mountain Center

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Here's a recent stravel tip from the Los Angeles Times on Inside the Tassajara Zen Mountain Center.

Shunryu Suzuki Roshi was looking for a place to build a Buddhist monastery that would be reminiscent of temple locales in the mountains of Japan. He found his ideal spot in the Ventana Wilderness southeast of Big Sur and built the center in 1967. It became the first Zen training monastery outside Japan. Now some visitors come as much for the vegetarian fare and the hot springs as for yoga and meditation. Here's a glimpse of this remote place to unwind, unplug and recharge.

--Mary Forgione

Basically the LA Times is presenting 8 photos of Tassajara ZMC as a vacation destination for the open period there.

The second photo shows the new remodeling of the zendo. Other photos show the famous fresh baked bread and the not so famous but probably pretty unique zen monestary swimming pool.

If you have a fun or illuminating story, or your own photos, of visiting Tassajara ZMC during either the training retreat period or the open period for the public, this topic can be a good place to share them.

Tassajara webpage at SFZC website, with a Tassajara slide show.

_/|\_
Gregory
j
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Re: Tassajara Zen Mountain Center

Postby amelia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:57 pm

I've always wanted to go there, and since it is within driving distance for me, I probably will. :lol2:
迎 Geika
amelia

Postby Nonin on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 pm

I highly recommend that people go to Tassajara. I spent 2 1/2 years there in the mid-to-late 1980's. The practice is solid and authentic, and it's in a beautiful place. The Summer Program schedule is more relaxed and open than the Fall and Winter Practice Period schedule, and it's a great time to experience monastic practice for short periods, from a couple of days to a couple of weeks, or for a long period, the whole Summer.

Hands palm-to-palm,

Nonin
Soto Zen Buddhist Priest. Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin Katagiri Roshi.
Abbot and Head Teacher, Nebraska Zen Center / Heartland Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
http://www.prairiewindzen.org
Nonin
Teacher

Postby Zendudest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 pm

I have not been to Tassajara but ... several of the priests here at Chapel Hill Zen Center have.

Based on my observations of 'before' and 'after' Tassajara I second Nonin's recommendation. Those fortunate enough to have had extended training there show remarkable transformations.

Bryan
Zendudest

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 am

Here's another article, this time from San Francisco Chronicle's webpage SF Gate.
Tassajara Zen Mountain Center: 50 years of serenity. They must be doing effective outreach.
When the Tassajara Zen Mountain Center opens its doors in April for its annual guest season, it will mark 50 years since Shunryu Suzuki-roshi established the first Zen monastery outside of Asia in 1967. This year's guests will enter Tassajara's 126-acre grounds deep in the Ventana wilderness through a new, but absolutely traditional, temple gate that signals passage into sacred territory. They will practice yoga and other pursuits in a new, Japanese-style retreat center, which replaces a tent yurt that served for many years.

Beyond that, little has changed since Tassajara became known — by reputation if not always first-hand experience — for its hot springs, its profoundly wild surroundings and its peaceful environment. Steve Jobs, Gov. Brown and Joan Baez have been among the more prominent lay guests of Tassajara's summer season (it is reserved for students the rest of the year). And for those who have four-wheel drives, or at least good springs, tough tires and high clearance, it has been a beautiful and serene place to decompress, regardless of religious or philosophical beliefs.
(continued in a two page article.)

Tassajara retreat center.jpg

Tassajara Zendo.jpg

More photos at the SFGate website.

_/|\_
Gregory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Return to Sangha Locations & Websites