Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:31 am
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Links & Contacts Sangha Locations & Websites

Zen Practice Centers

Re: Zen Practice Centers

Postby PeterB on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:46 am

What extraordinary times we live in ! What resources are now available !...I think we all have reason to be deeply grateful for the fact that Dharma has now come to greet us whereever we are.
I am not THAT ancient, and I remember the time in my adult life when there was ONE Zen Buddhist group in the whole of the UK...
:Namaste:
PeterB

Postby Dan74 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:14 am

Some more Melbourne ones:

Jikishoan (Soto)
http://www.jikishoan.org.au/

Seon Centre

Address: P.O. Box 266, Kinglake 120 Weber Road Vic 3763
Tradition: Mahayana, Korean Seon (Zen ) Jeogy Order
Phone: (03) 5786 1081
EMail: rev.chikwang@gmail.com
Main Contact: Rev. Chi Kwang Sunim
Teacher: Rev. Chi Kwang Sunim

Fo Guang Shan (Chan)

http://www.bliav.org.au/home/ibcv/ibcvindex.html
Dan74

Postby AlasdairGF on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 pm

A resource for people looking for Zen groups in the UK and Ireland:

http://bit.ly/ZenMapUK

ZenMapUK.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StoneWater Zen in Northampton, UK - zeNN1 @ swz-northampton.blogspot.co.uk
AlasdairGF

Postby aryannatimothy on Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 am

This is a good list. Does anyone know a good place for Zen centers in Japan? My friend would love to know. Thanks!
Start finding peace and finding yourself-
aryannatimothy

Postby unsui on Thu May 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Please know that you are also welcome in Denmark:

Egely Monastery on the Baltic island of Bornholm: http://egelykloster.dk/en/home offers open weekly zazen, kessei (training) and 4-6 sesshins/year. Our practice is based on the Rinzai Zen School of Buddha Dharma, and we are in the process of integrating Nyingma Dzogchen into this. We are currently busy establishing the monastery which was opened June 1, 2007. A temporary temple for our daily practice as well as facilities for staying overnight are already established.

Our teacher, Denko John Mortensen, first became interested in Zen Buddhism in the late sixties in Denmark. He went to Ryutaku-Ji in Japan, where he met Soen Nakagawa Roshi, and later became a student of Soen Roshi's successor, Eido Shimano Roshi. Denko was ordained as a Rinzai Zen Buddhist monk on July 4th 1980. Denko received Dharma Transmission (Inka) from Eido Roshi in 2002. In May 2011 Denko became student of H. E. Kilung Jigme Rinpoche in order to further develope his insight into Buddhism - specifically to study dzogchen.
May we extend This Mind over the whole universe so that we and all beings together may attain maturity in Buddha's wisdom
unsui

Postby aryannatimothy on Fri May 18, 2012 11:31 am

Nice one unsui. I am curious to go to Denmark and perhaps will make time to visit the one you referred.
Start finding peace and finding yourself-
aryannatimothy

Postby unsui on Fri May 18, 2012 5:41 pm

aryannatimothy wrote:Nice one unsui. I am curious to go to Denmark and perhaps will make time to visit the one you referred.

See you here, then!
May we extend This Mind over the whole universe so that we and all beings together may attain maturity in Buddha's wisdom
unsui

Postby Ko_Shin on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Carol wrote:Boundless Way Zen
Founded by James Ishmael Ford Roshi, a dharma heir of John Tarrant Roshi and, in the Soto tradition, from Jiyu Kennett Roshi
and by Boundless Way Teachers David Dayan Rynick is a Dharma successor to Zen Master George Bomun Bowman. Zen Master Bowman, in addition to being a Dharma successor to Zen Master Seung Sahn has trained extensively in the Japanese Rinzai tradition with Kyozan Joshu Sasaki Roshi. and Melissa Myozen Blacker is a Dharma successor to James Ford. James Ford is a Dharma successor in the Soto tradition from Jiyu Kennett Roshi and from the Soto reform Harada-Yasutani tradition from John Tarrant Roshi.

BWZ AND THE ZEN WAY: An Overview

Mission

The great project of Zen is awakening.

On the one hand Zen is about the most important things in our lives. Within the practices of Zen we have an opportunity to come to our deepest knowing, to find who we are, and how we fit within the world. As such Zen is focused on the disciplines of meditation, the technologies of awakening. On the other hand Zen is about becoming ordinary, discovering who we are within the simplest moments of our lived lives. And so Zen is also about how we eat our breakfast, how we treat children, and how we care for each other. It is about poetry and dance and politics and changing the world.

Zen is a path deeply rooted within the teachings of the Buddha, enriched by encounters with the sages of China, and now also through additional meetings with cultures across the globe. Zen is accessible to anyone who wishes to explore the contours of her mind, the shape of his heart: women and men, young and old, scholars and those who don't even read the morning newspaper.

One western Medieval author wrote of "a cloud of unknowing" and this image is instantly recognizable by Zen practitioners. In Zen our awakening to the reality of the world has many names, each pointing beyond names: the unborn, beginner's mind, only don't know. This cloud of unknowing is a possibility for each of us that exists before our first thought, as well as being the all-consuming reality of all our thoughts and actions. This unknowing, unborn or beginner's mind and heart is the deepest aspect of our human condition and is the source of wisdom and compassion.

Zen is both the experience of reality, and a way toward that experience. As such Zen is about transformation. There is magic within this transformation, because as we find ourselves changing, we notice that the world around us also begins to change. This path of transformation of self and the world is called the Bodhisattva way. This is a path of reconciliation where our hearts and minds and the very earth itself are discovered to be holy, where the divisions of self and other become less clear, and our every act becomes sacred.

Zen Disciplines

There are any number of ways a person can awaken to see into the heart of this matter of our profound interconnectedness to each other. But ultimately this experience of insight happens spontaneously. Awakening is a glorious happenstance, a mysterious accident. And none can claim causal responsibility. We each come to it in our own way. For some it is a flash of illumination. For others it is a gentle unfolding like the petals of a particularly fragrant flower. This insight into our true nature happens within all religions and none. This awareness of our profound interweaving with all beings is nothing other than our birthright as human beings.

At the same time we can live our whole lives without ever having this insight that heals and opens new possibilities. The Zen disciplines are simply ways that have evolved over the generations of our human experience to particularly enhance the possibility of our coming to our own intimate and direct knowing. So, if awakening is an accident, the practices of Zen make us particularly accident-prone.

Zen is not a theology or set of beliefs. The practice of Zen invites us to come into a deeper relationship with this moment — to learn how to fully participate in our life of each moment. We practice together and with the guidance of a teacher, not to learn what someone else knows, but to uncover the wisdom and aliveness that is already present within each one of us.

The principal discipline of Zen is 'shikantaza', literally "just sitting". In just sitting, we allow ourselves to become aware of our experience moment to moment. Through this deceptively simple practice we begin to see how the constant activity of the mind can be a barrier between us and the aliveness of each moment. 'Shikantaza' is both a path to and an expression of our basic sanity, wisdom, and compassion. As we learn how to cultivate a basic friendliness with ourselves as we actually are, we begin to see that what we have been looking for is already here.

The other great discipline of the Zen way is 'koan' introspection. Koans are poems and stories that both embody and elicit a moment of penetrating insight, bringing us to the dazzling reality of presence. The western master of koan introspection John Tarrant Roshi has described a koan as "being like a jewel and the koan system as being a treasure box of world culture".

Boundless Way Zen offers opportunities for engaging with both of these ancient disciplines as well as with other traditional Buddhist practices under the direct guidance of several qualified Zen teachers. We are an independent sangha bringing together the insights of both the Soto and Rinzai lines of Zen.

Regular Practice

The core of Zen discipline is regular meditation practice. We need to find time in our lives to sit down, to shut up and to pay attention. The core work of the sanghas, the local communities of Boundless Way Zen, is to support individuals' practice through providing opportunities to regularly meet and meditate together. In practicing together, we are supported and encouraged on this path of awakening. Please consult the websites of our local sanghas for their meditation schedules.

Two new(ish) Affiliates:

Greater Boston Zen Center (A merging of the Spring Hill and Waldo sitting groups) opened since May 2012

http://bostonzen.org/

The Greater Boston Zen Center, located in Cambridge, offers an extensive schedule of Zen Buddhist meditation practice and periodic Zen meditation retreats. The Center also offers meditation classes. The Greater Boston Zen Center is an affiliate of Boundless Way Zen. We offer one-day meditation retreats at our location in Cambridge, and multi-day meditation retreats at the Boundless Way Zen temple in Worcester, MA. Classes in various topics in Zen and Buddhism are also offered.

In addition to our main center in Cambridge, near the Somerville line, we also have affiliated local Zen meditation groups in Newton, Mass General Hospital, UMass-Boston, and Newton North High School . Boundless Way Zen also has Zen meditation groups in Worcester, MA and Providence, RI.

Great Heartland Buddhist Temple of Toledo

http://www.buddhisttempleoftoledo.org/fr_home.cfm

A MESSAGE FROM THE TEMPLE PRIESTS REV. JAY RINSEN WEIK AND REV. KAREN DO-ON WEIK:

The Temple is situated in the Holland/Springfield area of greater Toledo and brings together people interested in Buddhist practice from all around the greater NW ohio area and beyond. You are always welcome to join in for our family oriented Sunday Morning Service, the Wednesday Evening Service or any of the many classes and workshops that happen here.

Our growing community is made up of a diverse group of people who have perhaps read books about Zen and Buddhist philosophy or tried meditation on their own and then decided to visit and taste for themselves what the cookbook describes. Regular members of the community include area college students and professors, engineers, physicians, homemakers, entrepreneurs, artists, musicians, computer geeks, martial artists, yoga practitioners, children and retired folk.

We sincerely hope you will enjoy exploring this website, and find in it a compelling invitation to come and explore this deep Wisdom Tradition for yourself!

- Rev. Rinsen and Rev. Do-on
"Whether the water is cold or warm, only you will know, and it is not something you can describe to others."
Master Hanshan Deqing "Essentials of Practice and Enlightenment for Beginners" Translation by Guo-gu Shi
Ko_Shin

Postby Leum on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Alaska

Fireweed Sangha

A Community of Mindful Practice
The Fireweed Sangha of Mindful Living is a community of people in Anchorage, Alaska who practice Buddhism according to the teachings of Zen teacher Thich Nhat Hanh.
The meaning does not reside in the words, but a pivotal moment brings it forth.
Leum

Postby Pedestrian on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Part of the Boundless Way Zen community, The Benevolent Street Zen sangha sits regularly on Monday nights at the First Unitarian Church of Providence, located on the corner of Benevolent and Benefit Streets. All are welcome!

On the first Monday of each month, James Ford Roshi offers dokusan at 7a. On the third Monday evening sit of each month, James and Jan Ford offer dokusan during zazen.

You can find regular updates as well and information about additional events (including a precepts discussion group on Sunday afternoons) on our Google calendar. PM me if you'd like to be added to our Facebook group, which receives regular updates.
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby thehaze on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for having me!

Right now I'm in Australia and by mid-september I'll head back to Europe, so I'm thinking to stop to nepal or meaby tibet and look for some sesshin, after lookin here and other sites I couldn't find any zen center, I found one in India and that could be an option, another option could be to try another tipe of meditation (any suggestion on wich one could be the most similar?)
Even better if you can help me find a zen center in Tibet or Nepal.

Thanks for reading, have a good day!
thehaze

Postby Guo Gu on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:10 am

can someone recommend a zen center/temple in kyoto with teacher(s) who speak english? i have a friend who is visiting in aug/sep, 2016 for a week or so. she wants to do a short weekend retreat if possible.

so far my search yielded two only (kyoto kokusai zendo and seitaian zen hermitage). perhaps zen teachers in the forum can personally recommend a place or two?

thanks in advance,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Caodemarte on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:56 pm

Try http://www.kyotoguide.com/ver2/thismonth/zen.html

Not quite what you asked for, but your former fellow retreat leader, Jeff Shore has a kind of urban hermitage in Kyoto at
http://beingwithoutself.org/hermitage/
Caodemarte

Postby Guo Gu on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:42 am

thanks, caodemarte,
jeff's place is for solitary practice. my friend is more interested in practicing in a weekend session with others. i'll ask her to stop by jeff's place to say hello if she has time.
will forward her the link. she's been practicing chan for 30 yrs, so maybe shun-ko ji is not suitable?
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Nothing on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Does anyone know and can recommend any good zen teacher(s) in southeast Europe (Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia etc..)?

Central Europe is also fine if there is/are not any in southeast.

It does not matter from which tradition the teacher is.

thanks in advance
viktor
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Postby Caodemarte on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Dobro veče (or dobra večer if you prefer),

Never sat with them and so can't recommend or criticise, but Croatia has the
Dharmaloka Chan Buddhist Community which was founded in 1977 by Žarko Andričević, a Dharma heir of the Venerable Master Sheng Yen, and a small group.

Dharmaloka chan budistička zajednica
Dordiceva 23
10000 Zagreb
Croatia
+38 5 1481 0074

I don't know if they still have a web presence. I believe Andričević has some videos on the web in English so you might want to take a look at them.

There is a February 25 – 28 retreat with the highly recommended Kyoto-based American Zen teacher Jeff Shore on the Romanian - Hungarian border area in Oradea, Romania (http://beingwithoutself.org/retreats/) I don't know if the group there has other activities, but you could ask.
Caodemarte

Postby Nothing on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:36 pm

Caodemarte wrote:Dobro veče (or dobra večer if you prefer),

Never sat with them and so can't recommend or criticise, but Croatia has the
Dharmaloka Chan Buddhist Community which was founded in 1977 by Žarko Andričević, a Dharma heir of the Venerable Master Sheng Yen, and a small group.

Dharmaloka chan budistička zajednica
Dordiceva 23
10000 Zagreb
Croatia
+38 5 1481 0074

I don't know if they still have a web presence. I believe Andričević has some videos on the web in English so you might want to take a look at them.

There is a February 25 – 28 retreat with the highly recommended Kyoto-based American Zen teacher Jeff Shore on the Romanian - Hungarian border area in Oradea, Romania (http://beingwithoutself.org/retreats/) I don't know if the group there has other activities, but you could ask.

Fala (Thank you) for the information Caodemarte. Great to hear that he is dharma heir of Master Sheng Yen.

I checked, they do have a website http://budisticki-centar.hr/.
I managed to find one video of him in English from some retreat few years back and few audio talks/lectures in Croatian.

Not familiar with Jeff Shore, but will check him and ask if there is aregular group. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nothing

Postby Caodemarte on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:42 am

Glad to hear it may be helpful. I am sure there are other locally based teaches and visiting teachers in SE Europe, but these leapt to mind. For what it is worth, I can personally recommend Jeff Shore. In any case good luck!
:Namaste:
Last edited by Caodemarte on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caodemarte

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Zarko is a friend of mine. I've sat a number of intensive 7-day Chan retreats with Zarko, while we were students of The Ven. Chan Master Sheng Yen. Chan Master Guo Gu, here at ZFI, is also a friend and colleague of Zarko.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Nothing on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:20 am

Thanks Joe, that's good to know. :rbow:

Viktor
Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Sangha Locations & Websites