Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Events

Zen Forum International meetup!

Share and list upcoming or annual events.

Zen Forum International meetup!

Postby Guo Gu on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:34 am

hi everyone,

as meido suggested, i would like to invite all of you to the zfi meet up on sat. oct 14th weekend (in less than 3 months). oct 14th which is also our center's grand opening. meido will be here already, along with other western dharma teachers, as well as the dharma drum lineage abbot from taiwan. on the 15th we can devote a day on zfi meetup discussions and socialization. there are many possibilities for what we can do. we can think about sharing specific topics relating to practicing/teaching dharma in the west to support one another. or, as i was originally thinking, take all the out of towners to nearby scenic sites in northern florida on an excursion for a few days. maybe on each of the evening of our excursion (if everyone is not too tired), i would like to ask the teachers on this trip to give a sharing to all those on the trip.

we'll try to grp ppl in hotel rooms so the shared cost will be cheaper. think of it as a zfi meeting plus vacation.

not sure if anyone has been on a group trip with other practitioners before... it's an amazing experience. being with practitioners from different centers informally allows for exchange of experiences that is pretty rare in modern times. the organization is crucial, so we will try our best to make this an awesome event.

what do you all think? i know fuki is planning on coming. anyone else?

rejoice,
guo gu

/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=11838&start=40
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Re: Zen Forum International meetup!

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:49 pm

I don't travel as much as I used to (though my health is great, knock Formica).

I have animals: they need me each day.

I'll try to get there!

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Would mean a lot to me too Joe, if you can. Linda said she'd come to. :)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Marcel,

fukasetsu wrote:Would mean a lot to me too Joe, if you can. Linda said she'd come to. :)

HOT diggety DAMN!!

I'll have to "consider" it. :lol2:

--Joe

joe3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:HOT diggety DAMN!!

--Joe

:lol2:

You look like (and remind me of) a movie star Joe.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Fuki-cat,

fukasetsu wrote:You look like (and remind me of) a movie star Joe.

Thanks!

Alas, but my bank-account does not support the illusion. Despite all efforts! :lol2:

--Joe

p.s. ( It's just my Mexican wedding-shirt; and home-made bolo tie, I suspect ).
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Too bad Joe, but nothing gained or lost.

But there's still time to generate some illusion if the stars say so. :daisy:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Linda Anderson on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:09 am

you guys, it's a dream for me.... I'd like to be there, meet you two and maybe others :hugs: .... I just don't know if I can make it. I'm always on the edge financially.... we'll see what the stars say.... and what the schedule/expense is. It wouldn't be the first miracle trip I've taken. It's a good beginning for the center to mark it as a place that ppl from all over can come to.

anyone going to the retreat in NY the week after? that's way over the top if I can come, but....

desert_woodworker wrote:Marcel,

fukasetsu wrote:Would mean a lot to me too Joe, if you can. Linda said she'd come to. :)

HOT diggety DAMN!!

--Joe

joe3.jpg
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Guo Gu on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 am

linda,
my students usually drive 18 hours to upstate ny for my 7-day retreat at ddrc after the opening. if you're up for a road trip, you can just go with them. there's scholarship for that retreat which you can use. if you can get yourself here... the rest will be taken care of. think about it...
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Guo Gu on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 am

desert_woodworker wrote:I don't travel as much as I used to (though my health is great, knock Formica).

I have animals: they need me each day.

I'll try to get there!

--Joe

joe,
if you get yourself here, the rest will be taken care of.
would be lovely to see you again.
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby jundo on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:44 am

I thanked Guo Gu for his kind invitation and offer. Unfortunately, I have not yet progressed in my meditation far enough to travel bending time and space, except in the heart. Otherwise, I would be there in more than heart.

Gassho, J
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby Linda Anderson on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:08 am

Thank you Guo Gu, I will think about it... it would be great on so many levels.
linda

Guo Gu wrote:linda,
my students usually drive 18 hours to upstate ny for my 7-day retreat at ddrc after the opening. if you're up for a road trip, you can just go with them. there's scholarship for that retreat which you can use. if you can get yourself here... the rest will be taken care of. think about it...
be well,
guo gu
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Guo Gu on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:39 pm

think about it linda.

actually there is a 5 acre land right behind our center. it's an empty lot, with a radio tower in it (4 yrs left in the contract) so no developers have jumped on it. my plan is to purchase it and later develop it into a community where the old and sick dharma teachers and practitioners can live the last phase of their lives with dignity, wisdom, and compassion.

my idea comes from the fact that there are already second generation western teachers who are getting old... knowing that they don't have much savings and their centers may not have the means of taking care of them, i would like to take care of them. we have many young practitioners. i want the young to interact with the old. one thing i criticize in our modern society is that because the culture favors youth, beauty, and wealth, it tends to gather all old folks and tuck them away so no one sees them--the invention of senior citizen homes. i would like to change that and honor the elderly.

death is what ppl fear... it is the last dharma lesson for seasoned practitioners. i would like facilitate that by offering a conducive environment for that phase of life. i shall call that 5 acre community the "evergreen dharma community." it will be a 5-10 yr plan. i'm exploring the possibility of collaborating with the fsu nursing school, medical school, and social work program. if i buy that land and register it as educational institute instead of 501c religious organization, i may be able to use the site as practicum for fsu students to learn to take care of the elderly. when folks in my evergreen community die, we will cremate their bodies and spread the ashes in the garden or use them to plant trees. my life-death recycle program! practitioners leave no trace behind, not in living, not in death--so no tomb stones, signs, etc. demonstrating the truth of nonabiding--the chan way to live and die. all will return to nature.

anyway, these are my ideas... i'll make it happen one of these days. i'm saying this because i want you all to know the long term plan of this center. so linda, joe, you should come to check out your future resting place. you're always welcome here if you so choose.

:heya:

be well,
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Meido on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm

This is extraordinarily wonderful.
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺]: http://www.korinji.org
Madison Rinzai Zen Community/Ryugen-ji [機山龍源寺]: http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community: http://www.rinzaizen.org
Meido
Teacher

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Wonderful ideas Guo Gu, if I'd have a million dollars I'd send them to you (on the condition that you'd also build a cat shelter for me to maintain) :lol2:

But joking aside, may these dreams manifest.
:rbow:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Linda Anderson on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Wonderful Guo Gu!! :daisy:

It is so needed. And, one more reason for me to come. I'm still looking around for a future resting place. :peace: Do you envision a place for the healthy and the infirm? Joe could teach yoga. My previous sangha mates and I always sat around and talked of such things... many talented ppl who could make things happen are scattered now. You probably have same. This is something that I've considered since about 15+ years ago when I was at a Tibetan center, Lama Tharchin's place. We our group went up for dinner.... up a very, very steep stairway in the woods, a very elderly woman in Tibetan clothing was coming down to use the temple while we were at dinner. Turns out she was the mother of one of the Lamas. I know of nothing like this in CA except the SFZC hospice which had 6 beds in 2003 when my friend was there. It was a Buddhafield.

May the wind be at your back,
linda
Last edited by Linda Anderson on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Caodemarte on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Fantastic plan!
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 am

Guo Gu, that's a great and compassionate idea, and plan.

Whether the organization on-paper is a 501(c)(3) Religious or Educational organization or not, will you let us know if there is a land-acquisition or development fund to contribute to, when the time comes? Of course, news of that could also be gotten into some of the Dharma-related magazines, too, at the relevant time, and mailings could be sent to sanghas all over the land.

BTW, I would think that of course many of the old-timers who might come to reside there would have Medicare coverage, so probably much of their nursing care or physician care would be covered by that insurance.

When I was a member of Zen Desert Sangha, we talked about acquiring a place where people could reside and practice each day, once retired. Discussion on that lasted about 6 months, but did not develop further (and this was about 20 years ago). I'm not a part of that group any longer, so I don't know the status of the idea, or whether they might resurrect the discussion.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:00 am

Linda,

Linda Anderson wrote:It is so needed. And, one more reason for me to come. I'm still looking around for a future resting place. :peace: Do you envision a place for the healthy and the infirm? Joe could teach yoga.

It would be hard to stop me. ;)

And for me to stop myself. :tongueincheek:

--Joe

p.s. and if not "teach" it, lead it somewhat, if there's interest, in practice together, to give the teacher (Guo Gu) a break, sometimes! :lol2:
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:13 am

Guo Gu, there's a lot of implications in getting conventional medicine involved, and the hoops that you'll have to jump thru. The SFZC had 6 beds in an old victorian ... the health dept made them move (as I understand it, I'm not sure how it finally happened).... fearful that dying patients may die in a fire, not able to get down the stairs ... :PP: They had no problem carrying my friend's body down the stairs at 1am with rose petals to go with her. I, for one, hope to avoid that standard of care as long as I can stand up... then, we go with the program. The whole paradigm of aging is in a trance....

At the end of the line, don't forget the music.... "well it's alright even tho we're old and gray ... you still got something to say... "

linda

ps: don't miss Rob Orbison's spirit rocking the empty chair with his guitar..... gone, but not forgotten.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Next

Return to Zen Events