Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:33 am
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Events

Happy Solstice!

Share and list upcoming or annual events.

Happy Solstice!

Postby flutemaker on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm

v.jpg

60 km/h North wind, and very cold.

(Not a Zen event?..)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flutemaker

Re: Happy Solstice!

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:53 am

Definitely a Zen event. Dogen placed great value on it. :)
Michaeljc

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:04 am

Heatwave Solstice over here in France. Not alway possible to get to the place where there is no hot and cold.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby partofit22 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:33 am

I love it when the sky still looks like twilight at 10pm
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 am

Hot!, in this desert, during this week of heat-wave (high-pressure induced). It was another 44 deg C day today, and not as dry as usual.

The monsoonal humidity is creeping in, creeping up from the South, slowly. There could be thunderstorms beginning in the next three days to initiate the Summer monsoon here. It would be just about on-schedule: it's usually well underway by Independence Day, July 4.

Lightning is very dangerous here. It's thus time to be careful about disconnecting some amateur radio antennas here each day from ham-rigs and grounding their transmission lines, during days with t-storm build-up of clouds, and audible thunder. This discipline must persist until about Sept. 30, every year.

Very high-speed micro-burst wind-gusts are also a great danger here to high antennas, and even to houses, trees, and properties.

The lightning can be... "very exciting". ;) (Just keep a low profile).

And "flooding" (!) in the desert can be a sight to behold... . Flash-floods however can be deadly (and are, regularly; Steve, a Dharma-brother of mine, lost his wife in one, when they were both suddenly washed away in their car, three years ago; he survived drowning).

--Joe

Kitt_Peak_National_Observatory_southern_Arizona.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby flutemaker on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:09 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Lightning is very dangerous here.

Kitt_Peak_National_Observatory_southern_Arizona.jpg

2014 thing. Osorno (Puehue).
flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:08 pm

FM,

Thank you! Special circumstance... .

--Joe

p.s. "Osorno", yes!

My friend Tito Fernandez mentions it (and so many other towns/cities!) in his hugely famous hit song (~1980), "y Yo Sigo Siendo Chileno".

Here is probably his finest performance of the song, on recording. You may already revere it; I dunno. A "travelogue" of all of Chile!:

By the way, I'm the fellow who telescopically discovered the Asteroid "(19348) Cueca", and named it "Cueca", myself. It took five years.

I tried to name it "Cueca Larga", but they turned that down (!), the International committee of 13 scientists (guys), of the International Astronomical Union (IAU), who meet as a cabal, online, during Full Moon, to consider such proposals or propositions. It's all Official!

I'm afraid none of these gate-keepers had ever tasted a Pisco Sour, nor eaten an empanada de queso, nor feasted in austral Fall on pastel de choclo, nor danced the Queca (!), nor hung out at Bar Nacional, as I did, chatting with the overflowing Abogados at the counter, in Santiago de Chile, ...la Capital... !, during the military totalitarian Pinochet years (but not challenging them too much: dangerous!, Pepe!):

"...Una Cuequita bién Chilena... "! :Namaste:,

-J.
desert_woodworker

Return to Zen Events