Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 pm
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Events

US book tour

Share and list upcoming or annual events.

US book tour

Postby madeinlondon on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:33 pm

My teacher is about to publish a book on Zen practice. I believe it will be aimed at beginners and will include some anecdotes and personal stories from the sangha. We have a small sister organisation in the US, so my teacher was thinking of going over to the States (we are based in the UK), giving some talks and signing some copies of his book. Our organisation is essentially run on a shoe string - Zen is very niche in Britain - so any advice/help would be gratefully appreciated.

In particular, any advice on the following would be great:

Are there any Zen hotspots in the States? The first place that springs to mind is San Franscisco, but the US is a huge country, so I am sure there are other places. If you were to organise a book tour what places would you include?

Can you think of any spiritual book stores or other venues in those places that would be interested in hosting a talk on Zen from a Brit master followed by a book signing? My teacher spent 5 years in Japan studying Rinzai Zen, which makes him pretty unusual.

Do you think there would be sufficient interest in this kind of thing? There wouldn't be any point in setting up these events if only one or two people came.

Just to stress, I have no skin in the game (hope that metaphor translates). I'm just trying to help my teacher who has finally got his book published after 20 rejections and is only getting a tiny amount on each copy. If he can sell a decent amount, he will be in a better financial position (London is super expensive) and grow the group.

Here is a link to the UK group: https://zenways.org

And here is a link to the US one: http://bluecliffzen.org

Thanks & best wishes from the UK
madeinlondon

Re: US book tour

Postby Caodemarte on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:18 pm

Just FYI, if your teacher is Julian Skinner, he has been discussed here before at viewtopic.php?f=64&t=4295
Caodemarte

Postby madeinlondon on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 am

I am aware of the thread and it is utter garbage. It's funny how people pick out one negative online review and choose to ignore all the evidence to the contrary. I guess I'm not going to get much help here, but no worries. I will do my own research. When there's a will, there's a way :)
madeinlondon

Postby Caodemarte on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

I am not a representative of Zen Forum. The thread mentioned (I was not involved) is a series of comments which are almost all on the web site and impressions from the advertising. It also notes that the criticized bits were eventually removed/corrected. I did not point out the thread to be provactive. I suspect we have different standards for what is insulting. I didn't and don't see a reason to be offended. However, I regret it if you were.
Caodemarte

Postby madeinlondon on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Not a problem. Glad you were not posting the link to be critical. I obviously jumped the gun. Have a nice day.
madeinlondon

Return to Zen Events