Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 am
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Events

Eido Shimano to "offer his sincere regret" in mediated talk

Share and list upcoming or annual events.

Eido Shimano to "offer his sincere regret" in mediated talk

Postby Carol on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Eido Shimano to “offer his sincere regret” in mediated talk with Zen Studies Society sangha

by Lion's Roar Staff| November 5, 2015

On November 2, Eido Shimano, age 83, issued a letter to the Zen Studies Society sangha, addressing that community’s need for healing in the wake of Shimano’s reported misconduct, as documented in Mark Oppenheimer’s The Zen Predator of the Upper East Side. (See also, on Lion’s Roar: “Zen teachers issue open letter confronting abuse’; and “Confronting Abuse of Power.”) His letter reads, in part:

I would like to meet with you face-to-face on Saturday, November 21, to speak openly from the heart. I know that many of you discontinued your practice at the Zen Studies Society, but I hope you will participate in the meeting […] My wish is to express my ignorance and sincere regret for hurting the hearts of the Sangha. It is my hope that through this face-to-face meeting, our heavy burden can be laid to rest, for you and for us all.

This was followed today by a message issued from the Zen Studies Society, signed by its abbot, Shinge Roshi:

Dear Sangha and Dharma Friends,

As many of you are aware, Eido Roshi wrote a letter to our Zen community wishing to create an opportunity to speak from the heart and to offer his sincere regret.

This meeting is an important step toward the possibility of healing for those who have experienced harm and for the community as a whole.

Recognizing the sensitivity of the issues, the need for candor, and the need for creating an emotionally safe environment to have these conversations, the Zen Studies Society has engaged a professional facilitator for the meeting, Christine Hickey, who has taught mediation and conflict resolution for 10 years at Syracuse University College of Law, and has given seminars for a variety of professional organizations in the area of conflict resolution and associated topics. Chris is not a member of the Zen Studies Society or a student of Zen Buddhism, and has no connection to either Eido Roshi or to any current or former members, other than being invited to participate as a facilitator.

You will have an opportunity to speak to Eido Roshi in the presence of supportive friends and members.

Eido Roshi will also have opportunities to express his thoughts and feelings both by way of addressing the topic and in response to those who attend.

Chris will help everyone listen deeply to one another by paraphrasing or clarifying when necessary, and by maintaining a respectful structure throughout the afternoon.

You are invited to participate to the extent that you are comfortable. You may wish to attend and simply listen and witness the conversations, or you may wish to speak.

Chris has kindly offered to speak with you before the meeting to answer questions about the process, to help you identify and articulate the key points that you may wish to share at the meeting, and to discuss your fears, hesitations, perceptions, anger, and other emotions. I strongly encourage you to contact Chris soon by email or phone if you are thinking about or planning to attend the meeting. Your conversations with her will be entirely confidential. Speaking with her beforehand will help increase the chances for healing and closure. Chris may be contacted at mchickey@a-znet.com or 315-422-9756. She is looking forward to hearing from you.

This meeting is scheduled for Saturday, November 21, 2015, from 2:00 to 5:00 pm at All Souls Unitarian Church, 1157 Lexington Avenue (at 80th St.), New York City.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Re: Eido Shimano to "offer his sincere regret" in mediated t

Postby Carol on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Here is the full text of Eido Shimano's letter, as sent to me by ZFI member "Spike":

November 2, 2015

Dear Dharma Brothers and Sisters,

We never know when our departure day will come. Now, at the
age of 83, I am more aware than ever of the transiency of life.
In addition, Aiho has been seriously ill for over a year.
I would like to meet with you face-to-face on Saturday,
November 21, to speak openly from the heart. I know that
many of you discontinued your practice at the Zen Studies
Society, but I hope you will participate in the meeting, from 2
to 5 p.m.

Judy Chang, minister at All Souls Unitarian Church, is kindly
making her chapel available to us for this. The address is 1157
Lexington Avenue (at 80th St.), New York City.

My wish is to express my ignorance and sincere regret for
hurting the hearts of the Sangha. It is my hope that through
this face-to-face meeting, our heavy burden can be laid to rest,
for you and for us all.

Gempo Roshi said again and again, “Human beings are
emotional beings.” I now understand this golden teaching at
last.

Gassho,

Eido Tai Shimano
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby littletsu on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you for posting, I hope they can make some progress in terms of healing for everyone involved.

°°°
I was amazed how this topic has attracted - I assume - the most "clicks". The old Shimano thread has around 194 thousand views!
I guess that is the record on this forum (if not, please correct). This means a lot of non-registered viewers.
To me, that shows that people's thoughts about religious practice these days revolve mainly around scandal and misconduct.
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 pm

L.,

littletsu wrote:To me, that shows that people's thoughts about religious practice these days revolve mainly around scandal and misconduct.

It could otherwise be that the interest in scandal and misconduct is not connected with interest in religious practice at all. Search engines will deliver links customized to a person's interest.

A point to ponder... .

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Spike on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:09 am

littletsu wrote:
To me, that shows that people's thoughts about religious practice these days revolve mainly around scandal and misconduct.

Well, I guess you're "people", so you must be revealing your own projection while generally disparaging the teeming masses.

Speaking for myself, I don't think about scandal or misconduct as I slug out the daily actualization of my "religious practice". I don't know anybody who does.

Disclaimer: I was a student of and received Jukai from Eido Shimano. My views on his behavior are well documented.
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Anders on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:43 am

My prayers for Shimano that he learns all that there is to learn before the end of his life. May the hard lessons of this life be even more auspicious wisdom in the next one and the the negative karmic relations become bonds to bind people to the raft of dharma.

Also, I wish the same for everyone involved - and that whatever painful lessons they have to learn will be speedily absorbed to allow for even more wisdom. But I don't know their names, so can not dedicate this prayer in quite the same way.

:Namaste:
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"
--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby littletsu on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Spike wrote:
littletsu wrote:

Well, I guess you're "people", so you must be revealing your own projection while generally disparaging the teeming masses.

Speaking for myself, I don't think about scandal or misconduct as I slug out the daily actualization of my "religious practice". I don't know anybody who does.

Disclaimer: I was a student of and received Jukai from Eido Shimano. My views on his behavior are well documented.

Thank you for your guesswork Spike, well taken. I will look into this issue, whether I carry tendencies of disparaging the "teeming masses" in my mind, or not. However disappointing it may be, I don't wish to do the same guessing about the intention of your comment, and the background of it, etc., though.

all the best,
L.
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby Spike on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:04 am

Wake up, little tsusie, and provide an appa-polly-lodgie for disrespecting other Buddhists, for falsely claiming their "thoughts about religious practice these days revolve mainly around scandal and misconduct". Or: offer proof, that "people's thoughts about religious practice these days revolve mainly around scandal and misconduct". Poll your fellow practitioners. Do actual research. (Or just ask 'ol spikey! The Buddhists he knows are not like that at all!!) Not so many people involved in all the postings on the Shimano Mess blog, compared to the number of working-class, actualizing, Buddhists in this world, who never comment (or perhaps even dwell) on such scandals, much less know about them. In their practice, I'll bet they try hard! And Shimano himself is not widely known, so far as I can tell. Not valid or fair to generalize! So just apologize. Be a mensch.
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Spike on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:53 am

Spike wrote: (Or just ask 'ol spikey! The Buddhists he knows are not like that at all!!.

I am a school bus driver. Most of the bus aides in my school system, who double as cafeteria cooks and workers, are mainly Buddhists from Malaysia and China. Believe me: they have no clue and could probably care less about some Japanese guy, for several reasons. But they are salt-of-the-earth, and I think they are generally more representative of Buddhists in the world.
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby littletsu on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Spike wrote:Wake up, little tsusie, and provide an appa-polly-lodgie for disrespecting other Buddhists, for falsely claiming their "thoughts about religious practice these days revolve mainly around scandal and misconduct". Or: offer proof, that "people's thoughts about religious practice these days revolve mainly around scandal and misconduct". Poll your fellow practitioners. Do actual research. (Or just ask 'ol spikey! The Buddhists he knows are not like that at all!!) Not so many people involved in all the postings on the Shimano Mess blog, compared to the number of working-class, actualizing, Buddhists in this world, who never comment (or perhaps even dwell) on such scandals, much less know about them. In their practice, I'll bet they try hard! And Shimano himself is not widely known, so far as I can tell. Not valid or fair to generalize! So just apologize. Be a mensch.

Excuse me? No, thank you, I didn't ask for new names. As for apologies, they have to wait.
Clarify first, what your accusation is - who am I disparaging now? You seem to have shifted from the "teeming masses" to
"other Buddhists".
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby Spike on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:33 pm

littletsu wrote:
Clarify first, ...

I think that would be gratuitous and not worth further effort, since your questionable words are quoted twice in one comment already.

The beauty of apologizing is that it frees you from carrying a weight (ill-thought comment about other people's shallow religious practices--oh, whoops, did I just clarify!?--and the reactions some might have to it), plus shows that maybe you have some class as well as humility.

Last comment, should you care to comment, is yours.
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby littletsu on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Spike wrote:
littletsu wrote:
Clarify first, ...

I think that would be gratuitous and not worth further effort, since your questionable words are quoted twice in one comment already.

The beauty of apologizing is that it frees you from carrying a weight (ill-thought comment about other people's shallow religious practices--oh, whoops, did I just clarify!?--and the reactions some might have to it), plus shows that maybe you have some class as well as humility.

Last comment, should you care to comment, is yours.

Hint: I wasn't talking about Buddhists at all. I was talking about whom you fairly accurately identified as the "teeming masses". And in that case, your warning was very valid and welcome, as I expressed. How we got switched to the "fellow practitioners", I have no idea.
By the way, I don't think I hold any feelings of resentment or spite against people who I perceive as being outspokenly anti-religion. I listen to their criticism (mostly associated with the wrongdoings of leader figures and brainwashing) and very rarely go into any argumentation as I find it counterproductive in most cases. Plus, I see this as a very authentic expression of the desire for freedom, which I consider valuable. I hope I have managed to free you of something. You shall decide what that is, in your silence. Thank you!
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby Genjo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Here is part of what I wrote the moderator of this event...

Dear Chris,

I am listed as one of Eido Shimano’s Dharma Heirs. I do not trust this man at all. He is a liar, a cheat and preyed on his own sangha for decades. When I was with him, 1996-2010, I thought he had both repented and recovered from his bad habits, but no his bad behavior had just gone more underground preying on even the more vulnerable females in the sangha in secret. His claim that he was ignorant is only comical and false to the core. If I were in NY I would consider attending, but I certainly won’t be paying for a ticket from Seattle to be there. I wish him no ill will, and I believe that everyone is able to genuinely grow, repent and make amends; however, if this is the start of his amends it will take decades that he does not have to complete this task. I am a psychotherapist with 25 years of experience and in my professional opinion Eido Shimano suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You might want to read up on this condition, before you facilitate this meeting.

Genjo
Abbot of Dai Bai Zan Cho Bo Zen Ji (Chobo-Ji) temple, Seattle, USA; psychotherapist and certificated spiritual director.

http://www.choboji.org
Genjo
Teacher

Postby Spike on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Genjo wrote:
Dear Chris,

I am a psychotherapist with 25 years of experience and in my professional opinion Eido Shimano suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Genjo

I am a retired psychotherapist with ten years of experience. I was also a student of Eido Shimano during the 90's, and received jukai from him at DBZ. I believe Genjo's diagnosis is accurate.
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Genjo on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:00 am

Well, I just heard from a close friend who was in attendance that Eido Shimano was still evasive, "If I have offended..." and he was conveniently vague on details and dates of wrong doing. He suggested that any females that wanted an apology should make an appointment, as he is still a busy man with much to do. Obviously, he still doesn't get the magnitude of his transgressions or the crushing impact his actions have had on successive generations of sangha associated with him. He has made many similar apologies in the past, but clearly these have never altered his behavior or dented his grandiose self-image. Of course some may believe him, perhaps even Shinge and Junpo (two of his Dharma Heirs who helped promote and organize this event), I don't know.

With palms together in shame for how long I was once taken in by his charisma and lies,

Genjo
Abbot of Dai Bai Zan Cho Bo Zen Ji (Chobo-Ji) temple, Seattle, USA; psychotherapist and certificated spiritual director.

Genjo
Teacher

Postby Spike on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:20 am

Genjo wrote: Obviously, he still doesn't get the magnitude of his transgressions or the crushing impact his actions have had on successive generations of sangha associated with him. He has made many similar apologies in the past, but clearly these have never altered his behavior or dented his grandiose self-image. Of course some may believe him, perhaps even Shinge and Junpo (two of his Dharma Heirs who helped promote and organize this event), I don't know.

Genjo

As far as I can tell, neither of these two dharma heirheads deign to comment publicly as to whether they believe Shimano's apology is sincere. It is hard to understand why Shinge would promote or organize an event on Shimano's behalf, given that, effectively, he is suing her (ZSS). Also, it is self-evident that his words and deeds, like the conditional "if" quoted in his *apology* ("If I have offended ..."), and his failure to independently reach out, on his own to those he harmed, indicate lack of compassion, if not coldness, to the ZSS sangha.

I am sorry for Shimano if he suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Essentially, this is a pathology that goes beyond mere behavior, and is clinically significant and deeply embedded in his character. In my opinion, only counseling coupled with honest non-defensive self-reflection might help.
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Nonin on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:18 pm

This guy (Spike) posts nothing but personal attacks in a nasty and arrogant style. Shinge-roshi and others stuck with ZSS and Daibosatsu and have created authentic and compassionate practice places while others self-righteously quit and have done nothing but criticize and smear from afar those who stayed and righted things.

I wasn't at the Mediated sesshin and neither were Genjo or Spike, so none of us know what actually went on. At the least, it sounded like an attempt to get a healing process started. Whether is was positive or not, neither Genjo, Spike, nor I know.

Hands palm-to-palm,

Nonin
Soto Zen Buddhist Priest. Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin Katagiri Roshi.
Abbot and Head Teacher, Nebraska Zen Center / Heartland Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
http://www.prairiewindzen.org
Nonin
Teacher

Postby Spike on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Nonin wrote:This guy (Spike) posts nothing but personal attacks in a nasty and arrogant style. Shinge-roshi and others stuck with ZSS and Daibosatsu and have created authentic and compassionate practice places while others self-righteously quit and have done nothing but criticize and smear from afar those who stayed and righted things.

"Righted things"? Your comment belies ignorance about and lack of compassion for the sangha, both survivors and others, who suffered and left. They left out of conscience because of Shimano's unconscionable acts, and for many because of the hurt and damage they experienced, not out of "self-righteousness", which seems to be on full administrative display here. The concern or "criticism" voiced by these former sangha members probably had a lot to do with why the recent Fake Apology event was held, and the welcome fact that the effort by former sangha to seek redress, even after all this time, still continues. Unscathed and uninvolved people like you, Mr. Nonin, should know better than to criticize them.

Nonin wrote:I wasn't at the Mediated sesshin and neither were Genjo or Spike, so none of us know what actually went on.

Actually, look again at Genjo's comment. It contains a direct quote from an eyewitness. Obviously, Genjo has been informed about "what actually went on" by someone who was there.

Hey, Mr. Nonin? Have a nice day!
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Genjo on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Genjo
Teacher

Postby Genjo on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:29 am

One of the most interesting revelations coming out of this event is Eido Shimano admitting, apologizing for and warmly remembering his past affair with the current abbot and Roshi of DBZ and the Zen Studies Society, Shinge Roko Sherry Chayat. Shinge was hand selected to be the next abbot by Eido Shimano and now I better understand why. Shinge has repeatedly denied that she ever had an affair with Eido Shimano. She told this lie to me on multiple private occasions, in public on multiple occasions, and shamed and angered other women when she denied to them that she had told them at one time the truth about a previous affair with Eido. Shinge said in 2011 that she was starting her new administration with honesty and transparency. I could care less that she had an affair with Eido Shimano, but to lie to the sangha and the public is inexcusable, and I believe she now has no credibility to lead DBZ or ZSS. She could have used the truth for healing, instead she choose to protect herself and be loyal to Eido Shimano.

Genjo
Teacher

Next

Return to Zen Events