Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 pm
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Events

Solstice sit

Share and list upcoming or annual events.

Re: Solstice sit

Postby Jojo on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Anirukta wrote:
Jojo wrote:Nekochan looks a tiny bit complicated ...

What does neko-chan mean?

Now I know...
Your new avatar is nice. It makes me think that actually all us western unguided or half-guided zen practitioners are like clumsy baby tigers, playing in all earnestness, now and then even catching a mouse or a rabbit by accident.
Jojo

Postby [james] on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:08 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:And it IS just a moment. A bounce of the Sun (against the hard line of the Tropic).

Where does this moment occur? We mark this year's solstice at 38 minutes past the various hours depending on our particular location but where does this moment of contact occur on the Tropic.
[james]

Postby fukasetsu on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:34 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Fuki,

Roger that. Getting together in earnestness is itself a great thing.

--Joe

ps I'll be along-with. Just doing samu, or maybe kinhin somewhere. :)

fukasetsu wrote:Great things are possible when folks come together in all earnestness.

Thanks Joe, and fyi I'm also one of those who "feel comfort in knowing" :)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Michaeljc wrote:No farting in the Zendo

That's the only rule

Sorry I'm no farter, but if I can't fart when needed there's no marriage possible :PP: let alone....
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Michaeljc on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:04 am

I'll meet you in the mist, friends

:Namaste:
Michaeljc

Postby Jojo on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Fifteen minutes to go. Wonderful sunshine here, after a day with heavy rains and thunderstorm.
Jojo

Postby Michaeljc on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:06 pm

It’s been a while since I sat Zazen 3 hours before dawn. I had forgotten how peaceful it is. No sound aside from gusts of wind in the trees and rain dripping from the eves. Cold, around 3 degrees.

Muffled up, it was a lovely sit. I don’t often sit through without hearing the timer

Big Yella is on her way back home where she belongs :heya:

Thanks for the company folks

Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Michael,

Happy Solstice!

Things are moving again, though... . ;)

We're happy to share Big Yella! 109 deg here yesterday. Only up to 101 now, at 11:20 AM, Arizona Time (UTC minus 7). Usually our high temperatures are reached in late afternoon.

I sat too. But in the operator's chair. Working stations on the 6-meter band in my radio-shack, which band is open beautifully here today all across the States and into the Caribbean, via sporadic-E-layer propagation, which happens in Summer. A great start to the new season, here!

Strong practice,

--Joe

Michaeljc wrote:Big Yella is on her way back home where she belongs :heya:

desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Joe - I do agree. Cold is better than hot

The most livable climate in the world is at elevations 2000 - 3000 m a.s.l. in the tropics
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Michael,

Michaeljc wrote:Muffled up, it was a lovely sit. I don’t often sit through without hearing the timer

Here's my timer. I built many of these and spread them vagrantly around the world to practice centers, with various teachers, from Greenwich Village in New York City, to Melbourne, Australia.

It's a convenient commerical 10-button beeping timer, which I placed on a little project-box, containing mostly 2 batteries, and an LED. I disabled the beeper transducer, and replaced it with the flashing green LED. It's silent. The Jikijitsu of the zendo, of course sitting with open eyes, sees the flashing LED via peripheral vision, and never has to look at the timer at his/her knee, until the end of the sit is indicated by the flashing. There's no annoying beeping. Jikis love this thing! I've been making them for 15 years... .

See pic attached.

:Namaste:,

--Joe

timer_0000.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:29 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Michael,

Happy Solstice!

Things are moving again, though... . ;)

We're happy to share Big Yella! 109 deg here yesterday. Only up to 101 now, at 11:20 AM, Arizona Time (UTC minus 7). Usually our high temperatures are reached in late afternoon.

I sat too. But in the operator's chair. Working stations on the 6-meter band in my radio-shack, which band is open beautifully here today all across the States and into the Caribbean, via sporadic-E-layer propagation, which happens in Summer. A great start to the new season, here!

Strong practice,

--Joe

Michaeljc wrote:Big Yella is on her way back home where she belongs :heya:

We can chuckle together Joe

Have had some floods in NZ. It has taken out roads, bridges and electricity. You should hear the shock-horror wining and bitching on the news. "NO COMMUNICATION - PEOPLE MAY DIE!" :blush: - its always someone else' fault

Smartphones went flat inside half a day

Fiber cable and cordless phones wont work (no battery backups)

There are always ways of solving these problems but people are so dumb-phoned down now

Meantime old clunker cord phones with copper underground keep humming on :-)

Stick with your radio :heya:
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:19 am

Michael,

Caballero, again, Happy Solstice! Yes, the radio's (and my antennas are) alright.

A line from amateur radio service is, "When All Else Fails". And that's true.

Be safe,

best 73,

--Joe

ps also have a land-line.

Michaeljc wrote:
Have had some floods in NZ. It has taken out roads, bridges and electricity. You should hear the shock-horror wining and bitching on the news. "NO COMMUNICATION - PEOPLE MAY DIE!" :blush: - its always someone else' fault

Smartphones went flat inside half a day

Fiber cable and cordless phones wont work (no battery backups)

There are always ways of solving these problems but people are so dumb-phoned down now

Meantime old clunker cord phones with copper underground keep humming on :-)

Stick with your radio :heya:
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:23 am

Michaeljc wrote:It’s been a while since I sat Zazen 3 hours before dawn. I had forgotten how peaceful it is. No sound aside from gusts of wind in the trees and rain dripping from the eves. Cold, around 3 degrees.

Muffled up, it was a lovely sit. I don’t often sit through without hearing the timer

Big Yella is on her way back home where she belongs :heya:

Thanks everyone,

It was raining here but I happen to love rain yet to avoid a cold so I changed the hill setting to a mostly dry sit under the pines.
I sit often in the dunes in the middle of the night or at the break of dawn, it's my favourite way to start the day, especially if I can do a 60 minute bike ride first, but with these temperatures I need to pick one, because sitting in the morning cold in sweaty clothes isn't the smartest thing to do, well not at this 'old' age.

Till the next one! (I didn't bring my camera due to the rain)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:25 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Here's my timer. I built many of these and spread them vagrantly around the world to practice centers, with various teachers, from Greenwich Village in New York City, to Melbourne, Australia.

That's cool Sir.
Can I order one embedded in wood? (the deluxe version)
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 am

ps soltice at stonehenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmRwhGd3iy4

At least we had a proper "clean up" :tongueincheek:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby ed blanco on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Does Qigong count?
After zazen.
Hot and wonderful in the shade, nice Noon breeze blowing.
Happy Solstice to all here.
:O:
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Till the next one

Equinox :) (3 months from now)

Solstice is almost symbolic. Mid winter/summer in terms of heat and cold in locations outside of the tropics only begins at solstice. This is due to convection lag. It takes time to heat/cool something

In the tropics the suns path overhead retraces its self (sort of) after solstice. A location in the tropics has 2 mid summers. They define seasons more by wet season, dry season.

But equinox? BAM! Rapid change in daylight hours in all locations, but more so as latitude increases. Its the trigger in nature: wake up or snuggle down. Autumn Equinox is the trigger for many larger animals that evolved outside of the tropics to mate - giving birth in bounty of spring and summer

I'll have a look through Dogen's writings. I'll be surprised if he did not recognise equinox, even though the mathematics were not clear back then
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Michael,

Michaeljc wrote:I'll have a look through Dogen's writings. I'll be surprised if he did not recognise equinox, even though the mathematics were not clear back then

Well, they certainly recognized it in China in Dogen's time, and Dogen spent a few years in China learning some of the more original ways of Ch'an, so he could bring it to Japan to reform Zen Buddhism in Japan, which had gotten into a lamentably degenerate state there.

Joseph Needham's SCIENCE AND CIVILIZATION IN CHINA is a massive set of volumes, and I don't own copies of any of them (but I have a birthday coming up!, hint, hint!). Yet, I'm just now starting (reading... ) a book about Needham, THE MAN WHO LOVED CHINA (2008), by Simon Winchester.

Tang Dynasty star charts exist of the northern hemisphere sky, the oldest known in the world (from 7th to 10 century). The Beijing Observatory was not built until 1442, 200-some years after Dogen flourished. For a while I had professional colleagues at Purple Mountain Observatory, in China (an observatory with history only in the 20th and 21st century, I think, though).

I think the relatively ancient Chinese had a pretty good handle on celestial mechanics, at least to recognize equinoxes and solstices, and to be able to predict eclipses of sun and moon, but I don't know the chronology with respect to Dogen's dates. Needham's books would be the place in English to look for any detail on this. I have no knowledge at all of Japanese ancient astronomy.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Michael,

Michaeljc wrote:No farting in the Zendo
That's the only rule

See?, now, during periods of chanting, one can toot one's tune in time with the rhythm of the liturgy, and obtain good cover (at least for the sound). And you'll have to hope that the Roshi is a fresh-air freak, as mine was, and keeps the place pretty wide-open even in Winter.

BTW, ever seen those twelve-foot trumpets used in Tibetan Buddhist ceremonies? Played indoors, imagine the "cover" that that would provide! :lol2:

--Joe

tib_trumpet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:12 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:See?, now, during periods of chanting, one can toot one's tune in time with the rhythm of the liturgy, and obtain good cover (at least for the sound). And you'll have to hope that the Roshi is a fresh-air freak, as mine was, and keeps the place pretty wide-open even in Winter.

My favourite kind of Roshi, I'm always warm (or overheated) my doors and windows are mostly always open when home, winter being no exception. I still love to sit in the snow for 2-3 hours with only underpants on. Only rain and wind I need to avoid while sitting still, must be getting old or something.

BTW, ever seen those twelve-foot trumpets used in Tibetan Buddhist ceremonies? Played indoors, imagine the "cover" that that would provide! :lol2:

Reminds me the 'vuvuzela world cup'.

Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

PreviousNext

Return to Zen Events