Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 pm
Pathway:  Board index Resources Zen Events

Send Strong Nen

Share and list upcoming or annual events.

Re: Send Strong Nen

Postby partofit22 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 am

Spike wrote:Oh yes, haha, so funny, people burnt/unreachable, homes burned down, you laugh, make jokes. Real class.

I take it no contact has been made as of yet- Again I must admit that it could be considered a private matter- Yet, I'm concerned- And hope someone hears from them soon-
partofit22

Postby Larry on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 am

Spike wrote:Oh yes, haha, so funny, people burnt/unreachable, homes burned down, you laugh, make jokes. Real class.

Of course I'm concerned about Linda and everyone else effected by the fires. Linda and I share an interest in Tibetan Dzogchen and certain aspects of Hinduism, such as the work of Robert Adams disciple, Ed Muzika. And, of course, Zen. We are also Facebook friends.

My laugh was obviously purely in response to lobster's post. And obviously I can't speak for him in terms of, perhaps inappropriate, placement of his jokes in this particular thread.

Apologies for any upset caused by me.

I very much appreciate your blunt honesty.
Larry

Postby Spike on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

partofit22 wrote:

I take it no contact has been made as of yet- Again I must admit that it could be considered a private matter- Yet, I'm concerned- And hope someone hears from them soon-

Just heard from Linda last night, and I'm sure she wants everyone to know she's ok.

Thanks to everyone for the nen.
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Larry on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for the update. Wonderful news :)

:Namaste:
Larry

Postby partofit22 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:34 pm

A joy to hear, thank you for the update-

:)
partofit22

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 pm

hi al, :ghug:
grateful for your concern... I've been offline all week. I got on my phone last night to respond to Spike. The fire was about 10-15 miles east from me and heading east.... 70 mile/hr winds when it started... just never know when the winds shift. I live in a wooded area and there was a red flag warning, so the neighborhood was all packed, just in case. yes, Carol and Gregory's area was not affected... I was house sitting on a mtn in Guerneville, farther west in a heavily wooded area, up a one lane rd, only way in/out. I packed up their house with papers and 3 dogs. So I was also responsible for their dogs.... I took them everywhere just in case. :) I came down on Mon afternoon after smelling smoke since 5am Mon and having no communications access... to my local grocery store to hear about what was happening. So many displaced people over here, so heart breaking. I do not know about John Tarrants house, the whole area was evacuated and it's dry tinder out there. I stopped on the way home today in a small restaurant for breakfast... a family with two girls under 5, talking about how their friend had lost all her toys and what they could find in their house (which was spared) to help them.

Spike, I'm glad to hear things worked out for you. Wish you all the best. :Namaste: No better healing than ENMEI JUKKU KANNON GYO ... I was always told it was for healing, but could not be translated. It was the only thing in the Sutra book without a translation. I can probably still chant it in my sleep, it always stayed with me since I've heard it... as I recall, we used the KoK???, the hollow frog thingy, to keep the beat. never good at these names. :PP:

Blessings and Best Wishes.... I've also got Tom Petty's words with the Traveling Wilbury's in my head.... "I'm just glad to be here... happy to be alive..."

any excuse to post it again:

Linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Linda,

It's a relief to know you're safe.

Linda Anderson wrote: No better healing than ENMEI JUKKU KANNON GYO ... I was always told it was for healing, but could not be translated. It was the only thing in the Sutra book without a translation.

Yes, the Makugyo is the dharma instrument used in keeping time for the Kanzeon chant. And, yes, many of us have it indelibly memorized. Here's the text I used as Ino (Chant-Leader) during 20 years at ZDS (with Robert Aitken Roshi's translation from the Sino-Japanese, as used at Diamond Sangha places):

EMMEI JIKKU KANNON GYO
Ten Verse Kannon Sutra of Timeless Life

(repeat 7 times)

KANZEON
Kanzeon!
NAMU BUTSU
I venerate the Buddha;
YO BUTSU U IN
with the Buddha I have my source,
YO BUTSU U EN
with the Buddha I have affinity--
BUP-PO- SO- EN
affinity with Buddha, Dharma, Sangha,
JO- RAKU GA JO-
constancy, ease, the self, and purity.
CHO- NEN KANZEON
Mornings my thought is Kanzeon,
BO- NEN KANZEON
evenings my thought is Kanzeon,
NEN NEN JU- SHIN KI
thought after thought arises in mind,
NEN NEN FU RI SHIN.
thought after thought is not separate from mind.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Spike on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:hi al, :ghug:
grateful for your concern... Blessings and Best Wishes.... I've also got Tom Petty's words with the Traveling Wilbury's in my head.... "I'm just glad to be here... happy to be alive..."

any excuse to post it again:

Linda

Tom Petty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1oh5HV9RxI
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 am

Sweet mix of live and death in celebration.... who knew then what we know now? :O:
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:05 am

L.,

Linda Anderson wrote:Sweet mix of live and death in celebration.... who knew then what we know now? :O:

I knew it, ;) , but wasn't breathing a word toward the exhalation side of things, except among friends, who I suppose were as "demure" and retiring as I was, and hence, our knowledge was left for those of the interested future to rediscover. You can easily see how this could transpire. Not everyone is on the same page, or any page, at once. More than a truism, this is just true, true, TRUE.

How's by You? :lol2:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby lobster on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 am

LOL
Send strong nen then, that would be a class act ... However I'll settle for a joke ...

... meanwhile back to traditional classless dukkha ...try not to burn your home ... :Namaste:

In the experience of yogins who do not perceive things dualistically, the fact that things manifest without truly existing is so amazing they burst into laughter
Longchenpa
lobster

Postby Larry on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 am

:heya:
Larry

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:28 am

koan for this evening in Santa Rosa:

taking the form of Quan Yin, find shelter for the homeless person
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:34 am

Linda Anderson wrote:koan for this evening in Santa Rosa:

Luckily it's not yet the cold season. Bad enough to live outdoors now, but colder in a month from now.

May Kuan Yin take form in many bodhisattvas, and give people some sort(s) of lodging ASAP, and other support.

--Joe

kuan_yin_tear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Larry on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:18 am

Linda Anderson wrote:koan for this evening in Santa Rosa:

Larry

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:58 am

Spike is a great middle UFC or bellator name don't you think :heya:
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Spike on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Well, it's a great dog name.
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby Spike on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:35 pm

lobster wrote:

LOL
Send strong nen then, that would be a class act ... However I'll settle for a joke ...

... meanwhile back to traditional classless dukkha ...try not to burn your home ... :Namaste:

In the experience of yogins who do not perceive things dualistically, the fact that things manifest without truly existing is so amazing they burst into laughter
Longchenpa

Lil' lobsterboy lobs a loogie
laughs like a lama

i'll wipe the spit off
and save it for a burning house
Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Previous

Return to Zen Events