Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

practice in daily life

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: practice in daily life

Postby Avisitor on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Caodemarte wrote:I join you in coffee.☕️

Thank you.
Important week and soon Dec 8th.

Here's to you ... cheers
Avisitor

Postby Guo Gu on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:51 am

there's something that i see here on this forum that should be addressed as it is related to this thread about "practice in daily life."

once in a while someone joins the forum and his/her views differ from the rest of the pack here and so s/he is called out and lambasted. if ppl don't agree with their views, just don't respond. why rebuke them? everyone has his or her own view. everyone has his or her own path.

there is no need to fear internet browsers taking those (perceived) erroneous views as "correct." buddhadharma does not need to be defended. the more we rebuke others, the worse it gets. and we (despite our good intentions to help or defend the dharma) exhibit vexations and perpetuate self-grasping. not to mention we hurt others. this is not practice.

there's a history why ppl behave the way they do; there are reasons why ppl come here to this forum. some have suffered; others are actually suffering from mental illness now! still, others are just simply lonely. why is it that we cannot accept them? pls have compassion--not only for them, but for yourself... in rejecting others you have already rejected yourself.

there is a story in the discourse record of hongzhi zhengjue, one of the greatest teachers of the silent illumination method. one time during a famine, ppl greatly suffered and they all came to tiantong monastery for food. the chefs and the monks fed them but as this went on for months, the food was running out. gradually, the chef and the monks were getting annoyed of the begging laity. finally, the chef couldn't stand it anymore and complained to hongzhi. hongzhi just said, "continue to accept them--just add more water to the rice (to make congee). everyone has his or her own mouth. there's no need for you to be concerned." the days went on and, by the end, everyone was just drinking rice water. sure enough, when the famine was over, one of hongzhi's lay patrons from another province donated a lot of rice and food. everyone was able to live, each in his or her way.

ppl don't change because of some reasoning or some good explanations of "buddhadharma." ppl change because they are moved by love and openness that stem from practice. the ocean reject nothing; the valley accepts all. we must open our minds/hearts for all. this is not to say we ignore what's going on or that we're oblivious to right and wrong. red is red; green is green. we must engage actively, but on occasions when you have vexations or discover that you're annoyed/disturbed, it's best to keep quiet because whatever come out will be vexing. when you're free from vexations, practice right speech.

be well, be free, be kind,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Lunarious1987 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:09 am

Thats right. Islam, primarily is a warrior religion. Imam Ali says if one is not with me (my army), or the other side of battle. Leave him alone in peace, like a plant. Allahs mercy extend to plant and eviroment. Keep spreading love and stay away from trouble/friction. Like Go Gu says. Christians are the nearest to muslims, and they are peaceful loving their next person. Circumstances have omitted you from the Quran, and maybe neccesity. But one Imam i know say peace be upon him to Buddha, a honorary title for only great people, very great, and prophets.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby Guo Gu on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:29 am

peace to you, lunar. apologies for some of the frictions you experienced here... ppl mean well here. they just feel threatened by some of the posts you made, which they feel do not accord with buddhadharma.
i'm guessing you're here on the forum because you're interested in learning more about buddhadharma or the buddha's teaching? are you open to learn?
be well, my friend.
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Lunarious1987 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:40 am

Long time has passed, and i've not felt warmth kindness as Asperger with all the trouble that comes with it. I've lost all my power and become lazy with my brain still dull. I'm still receptive, but not much, and a bit clumsy which can lead to violence, i need the best and alot of repetition. Otherwise i'd rather die. Thats what i've always gotten. To tell you about myself, i can't cook, i can't clean, and don't. I am a warrior. A retired warrior (age 30).
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby Guo Gu on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:12 am

lunar,
thank you for opening up. there is warmth and kindness here on the forum. it's just disguised as something else. love yourself and you'll see.
the folks here will change their tone. they may forget from time to time--we all do.
from now on, never say "can't"; whenever you feel you can't do something, tell yourself, "how?" instead. then the door will open.
you are so much more than just a warrior, retired or not. there's no battle. no war.
be well,
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Lunarious1987 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:03 am

Muslims can't go backwards to Christianity (older religion) although they are closest to us, or Buddha-Dharma. It is an infeld principle wheither i am a man or woman, a peaceful muslim or a warrior muslim. If i can't die muslim, i'll die free without labels, but i'll inshallah die muslim.

Peace
Lunarious1987

Postby noorcasta on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:41 am

Hello Lunarious,

Islam is a grand religion and very broad. Look within it, look deeply. The spirit of any true and profound religion touches upon something which is universal (and maybe not even human any more). Many Muslims and non-Muslims are deeply drawn to Sufi Islam, its contemplative mystical poetry. In what for example, Rumi or Hafez wrote, we can all find the call to truth, acceptance, tranquility. Overcoming obstacles that we think separate us from truth is the real striving, the real jihad.

I wish you all the best.

From nothing all beings as beings come to be. (Heidegger)
noorcasta

Postby partofit22 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 am

Guo Gu wrote:there's something that i see here on this forum that should be addressed as it is related to this thread about "practice in daily life."

once in a while someone joins the forum and his/her views differ from the rest of the pack here and so s/he is called out and lambasted. if ppl don't agree with their views, just don't respond. why rebuke them? everyone has his or her own view. everyone has his or her own path.

there is no need to fear internet browsers taking those (perceived) erroneous views as "correct." buddhadharma does not need to be defended. the more we rebuke others, the worse it gets. and we (despite our good intentions to help or defend the dharma) exhibit vexations and perpetuate self-grasping. not to mention we hurt others. this is not practice.

there's a history why ppl behave the way they do; there are reasons why ppl come here to this forum. some have suffered; others are actually suffering from mental illness now! still, others are just simply lonely. why is it that we cannot accept them? pls have compassion--not only for them, but for yourself... in rejecting others you have already rejected yourself.

there is a story in the discourse record of hongzhi zhengjue, one of the greatest teachers of the silent illumination method. one time during a famine, ppl greatly suffered and they all came to tiantong monastery for food. the chefs and the monks fed them but as this went on for months, the food was running out. gradually, the chef and the monks were getting annoyed of the begging laity. finally, the chef couldn't stand it anymore and complained to hongzhi. hongzhi just said, "continue to accept them--just add more water to the rice (to make congee). everyone has his or her own mouth. there's no need for you to be concerned." the days went on and, by the end, everyone was just drinking rice water. sure enough, when the famine was over, one of hongzhi's lay patrons from another province donated a lot of rice and food. everyone was able to live, each in his or her way.

ppl don't change because of some reasoning or some good explanations of "buddhadharma." ppl change because they are moved by love and openness that stem from practice. the ocean reject nothing; the valley accepts all. we must open our minds/hearts for all. this is not to say we ignore what's going on or that we're oblivious to right and wrong. red is red; green is green. we must engage actively, but on occasions when you have vexations or discover that you're annoyed/disturbed, it's best to keep quiet because whatever come out will be vexing. when you're free from vexations, practice right speech.

be well, be free, be kind,
guo gu

Often times selflessness doesn't result in more than enough rice, as it does in the story- Sometimes selflessness leads to selfishness and being taken advantage of- So one needs to be kind and take care of themselves as well when the rice doesn't arrive- And that too is life, just as much as red is red and green is green- Not everyone is moved by openness and love-
partofit22

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:16 am

Selflessness isn't a tool one uses to make friends and influence people. Selflessness doesn't really exist, it just means freedom from me, me, me. Freedom from suffering. But of course the self cannot do selflessness.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 pm

mdd,

macdougdoug wrote:But of course the self cannot do selflessness.

Great, great point. Strong practice, All,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:51 am

No disagreement with Guo Gu- What I wrote was in addition to what he said- There are many stories to point to- One which comes to mind is the tragic story about Shunryu Suzuki's first wife, a story that was wisely brought to light and begs not to be ignored but remembered- There are many avenues of selfless action people can take when mutually beneficial solutions fail to be reached but not all will, or may never, be recognized as compassionate-

How to Win Friends and Influence People, first published in 1936, is still being read by many- :)
partofit22

Postby Guo Gu on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:40 am

partofit22 wrote:Often times selflessness doesn't result in more than enough rice, as it does in the story- Sometimes selflessness leads to selfishness and being taken advantage of- So one needs to be kind and take care of themselves as well when the rice doesn't arrive- And that too is life, just as much as red is red and green is green- Not everyone is moved by openness and love-

thank you. yes, i agree. but if selflessness leads to selfishness, then it's not selflessness.

also, selflessness or selfishness are not monolithic "things" or a either or situation.

but to get back to the subject, be kind to others in speech--or typing words out to others--and don't jump on the bandwagon to criticize or try to correct others based on different beliefs/view points, etc. especially when vexations are present in one's mind... and especially when the person one's criticizing is troubled by so-called disabilities (in western medical diagnosis). this is basic etiquette of how to treat another human being. pls don't respond if you don't like what is being said by the other person, and his/her thread will not get traction and will fade in its own accord.

if i don't point this out on the forum, then i'm not doing my job as one of the teachers of this forum. as a teacher sometimes i have to say things. that said, i will not point this out ever again. this forum should be open to all views and should be mature enough to monitor by itself, by its members. when i was asked to be a teacher of this forum, i hesitated because i didn't know anything about online buddhist forums, but decided to help anyway. if members here continue to criticize each other, new comers, ppl with illness, ppl who are lonely, adherents to multiple religions/beliefs, then this forum would not be something i will spend any time on or be associated with. and shall stop posting here.

be free,
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Guo Gu on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:49 am

macdougdoug wrote:Selflessness isn't a tool one uses to make friends and influence people. Selflessness doesn't really exist, it just means freedom from me, me, me. Freedom from suffering. But of course the self cannot do selflessness.

wining friends? influencing ppl? are you responding to my post about members criticizing each other? or are you theorizing about zen?

"freedom" is an abstraction, an idea, a view. selfishness or self-referentiality is the reality of ppl, and is one of the reasons why on this forum there are attacks, threats, and mocking others. posts that attempt to convey "correct buddhadharma" or "right zen view" in those polemical threads :grr: as precisely "self trying to do selflessness." a futile task!

be free,
guo gu
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 am

Selflessness is also the reality of people what?

Who knows how we will act when next challenged?

Comings and goings

This is why we practice IMO. It conditions

m
Michaeljc

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Guo Gu wrote:
macdougdoug wrote:Selflessness isn't a tool one uses to make friends and influence people. Selflessness doesn't really exist, it just means freedom from me, me, me. Freedom from suffering. But of course the self cannot do selflessness.

wining friends? influencing ppl? are you responding to my post about members criticizing each other? or are you theorizing about zen?

"freedom" is an abstraction, an idea, a view. selfishness or self-referentiality is the reality of ppl, and is one of the reasons why on this forum there are attacks, threats, and mocking others. posts that attempt to convey "correct buddhadharma" or "right zen view" in those polemical threads :grr: as precisely "self trying to do selflessness." a futile task!

Just replying to Partofit : Selflessness is not a tool one uses to manipulate other people.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:00 pm

As for the heated discussions with swear words etc we have been having on the forum : This forum is real life. We must do our best in being aware of our own motivations; we must do our best in understanding and accepting where our interlocutor is coming from.

Before bashing others we must first take a look at ourselves. This may be particularly difficult for those who have come to identify with the forum; the forum has become a part of ourselves and so we want to defend it, control its image etc... This is all normal human behaviour.

Firstly do no harm; secondly accept the differences of others; third : smile and offer a cup of tea; fourth : answer questions or offer jokes or poetry.

Insisting that they be a different person is none of the above.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 pm

macdougdoug wrote:Firstly do no harm; secondly accept the differences of others; third : smile and offer a cup of tea; fourth : answer questions or offer jokes or poetry.

Yes; let those who liberally violate the TOU take note, and take that pleasant advice. Some, either by virtue of being internet trolls, being mentally disordered, or not taking to heart that they formally accepted the TOU in order to become posting members -- or all of the above -- have not been doing this.

macdougdoug wrote:Insisting that they be a different person is none of the above.

Right, and no loss that it is none of the above. But allowing them to be the same person somewhere else instead is a demonstrated win for all.

That's a moderator function, sadly missing.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:20 pm

It would seem that we are now experiencing anarchy whenever we enter the ZFI.

Of utmost importance during anarchy is Impeccable Behaviour. (if not it just won't work) However Anarchy usually fails because we always assume that impeccable behaviour means "you must behave impeccably"; whereas what it really means is "I must behave impeccably".
Just like in buddhism we work on ourselves. For others we offer : compassion (which can also be a way of working on ourself)

We can't always make things go away. What shall we do then? I vaguely remember some buddhist text about being clean amidst utter filth and being at peace during times of war.

PS. I imagine being a Moderator is a bit like being a policeman, nurse and fireman; difficult job with high burnout rate.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby [james] on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:10 pm

macdougdoug wrote:It would seem that we are now experiencing anarchy whenever we enter the ZFI.

Of utmost importance during anarchy is Impeccable Behaviour. (if not it just won't work) However Anarchy usually fails because we always assume that impeccable behaviour means "you must behave impeccably"; whereas what it really means is "I must behave impeccably".
Just like in buddhism we work on ourselves. For others we offer : compassion (which can also be a way of working on ourself)

Thank you for stating this.
[james]

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Buddhism