Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

practice in daily life

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: practice in daily life

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Guo Gu wrote:
partofit22 wrote:Often times selflessness doesn't result in more than enough rice, as it does in the story- Sometimes selflessness leads to selfishness and being taken advantage of- So one needs to be kind and take care of themselves as well when the rice doesn't arrive- And that too is life, just as much as red is red and green is green- Not everyone is moved by openness and love-

thank you. yes, i agree. but if selflessness leads to selfishness, then it's not selflessness.

also, selflessness or selfishness are not monolithic "things" or a either or situation.

but to get back to the subject, be kind to others in speech--or typing words out to others--and don't jump on the bandwagon to criticize or try to correct others based on different beliefs/view points, etc. especially when vexations are present in one's mind... and especially when the person one's criticizing is troubled by so-called disabilities (in western medical diagnosis). this is basic etiquette of how to treat another human being. pls don't respond if you don't like what is being said by the other person, and his/her thread will not get traction and will fade in its own accord.

if i don't point this out on the forum, then i'm not doing my job as one of the teachers of this forum. as a teacher sometimes i have to say things. that said, i will not point this out ever again. this forum should be open to all views and should be mature enough to monitor by itself, by its members. when i was asked to be a teacher of this forum, i hesitated because i didn't know anything about online buddhist forums, but decided to help anyway. if members here continue to criticize each other, new comers, ppl with illness, ppl who are lonely, adherents to multiple religions/beliefs, then this forum would not be something i will spend any time on or be associated with. and shall stop posting here.

be free,
guo gu

Often times selflessness doesn't result in more than enough rice

It appears I should have left it at that- :)

Guo Gu, your playful manner is appreciated -- and your efforts- Some of which pertain to making corrections- Some of which may have been interpreted as criticism, at times- Depending on the heart/mind doing the reading and the way in which they responded- Which is why I said that sometimes compassion isn't recognized-

Should you decide to disengage from participating here, for whatever the reason, be it as you described or another matter that is private, that is what you will do- I hope that for the most part it was enjoyable and that you encountered some mutual respect over the course of these past several years- We can't choose our parents, our siblings or our extended global family who are free to come and go as they do-

Thank you for practicing and being a teacher-
partofit22

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:27 pm

[james] wrote:
macdougdoug wrote:It would seem that we are now experiencing anarchy whenever we enter the ZFI.

Of utmost importance during anarchy is Impeccable Behaviour. (if not it just won't work) However Anarchy usually fails because we always assume that impeccable behaviour means "you must behave impeccably"; whereas what it really means is "I must behave impeccably".
Just like in buddhism we work on ourselves. For others we offer : compassion (which can also be a way of working on ourself)

Thank you for stating this.

Yes, thank you-
partofit22

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Michaeljc wrote:Selflessness is also the reality of people what?

Who knows how we will act when next challenged?

Comings and goings

This is why we practice IMO. It conditions

m

:Namaste:
partofit22

Postby [james] on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Guo Gu wrote:
if i don't point this out on the forum, then i'm not doing my job as one of the teachers of this forum. as a teacher sometimes i have to say things. that said, i will not point this out ever again. this forum should be open to all views and should be mature enough to monitor by itself, by its members. when i was asked to be a teacher of this forum, i hesitated because i didn't know anything about online buddhist forums, but decided to help anyway. if members here continue to criticize each other, new comers, ppl with illness, ppl who are lonely, adherents to multiple religions/beliefs, then this forum would not be something i will spend any time on or be associated with. and shall stop posting here.

be free,
guo gu

Good advice often bears repeating, from time to time, in one way or another.
How would a decision to stop posting help sentient beings here embroiled in bickering, oneupmanship, blood letting and other pastimes? It's a part of what people do. You are a teacher, here and elsewhere. You have to be involved with that ... no?

Or, perhaps you could reregister incognito. Secret agent bodhisattva.
[james]

Postby partofit22 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Deciding to step back is a compassionate act.
partofit22

Postby macdougdoug on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Let us not only be compassionate with those that we perceive to be less fortunate but also with those in positions of power. Authority is its own burden and most shall succomb to its guiles. See michael jackson, anakin skywalker and any crazy guru you care to mention. If Guo gu dissapears from this forum I for one shall seek out his wise words wherever he posts.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm

macdougdoug wrote:If Guo gu dissapears from this forum I for one shall seek out his wise words wherever he posts.

Better yet is to practice 7-day Ch'an retreat with him leading.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Also one could reread all the gems left in any number of threads here- Or copy them and create a file- Don't forget to include all the times he smiled and laughed!
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 pm

On retreat, see him scowl... . ;) (Compassion takes any necessary form).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Avisitor on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:03 am

The task at hand is to watch one's breath
When thoughts or noise arise, to let them come and let them go
Bring the attention back to the task at hand

And so it is the same when people come here to scream and shout.
Let them. This is where the journey begins.

The teachers have come and some have gone
All have been compassionate in their efforts
I wish them well. And thank them for their service.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Sorry, got a message that I was not being PC.
Avisitor

Postby Lunarious1987 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:36 am

I can't easily read all this. What is the consensus about daily practice from all thats been said? Can i take time to wake up before i meditate or must i do it immeaditly?

Thank you
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby Avisitor on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:53 am

Lunarious1987 wrote:I can't easily read all this. What is the consensus about daily practice from all thats been said? Can i take time to wake up before i meditate or must i do it immeaditly?

Thank you

What does your teacher say you do?
If you don't have a teacher then please go to Zen center and start your learning there with a good instructor.

Keep in mind ...
What is it that you want to learn?
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Sorry, got a message that I was not being PC.
Avisitor

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:05 am

Lunarious1987 wrote:I can't easily read all this. What is the consensus about daily practice from all thats been said? Can i take time to wake up before i meditate or must i do it immeaditly?

Thank you

Awakening is not of time, ofcourse our thoughts say something else in this relative manifesto since we always think in the past or the future, or we read stories about someone who awakened at age 34 and has a story before and after, but in reality none of this applies.

You can wake up right now or you can take your time, I don't really see the difference.

But as someone's signature (quoting a teacher on ZFI) goes,
"some think there are awakened, others think there are not awakened"
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:24 pm

fukasetsu wrote: or we read stories about someone who awakened at age 34 and has a story before and after,

A psychological doctor, one Dr. Richard Maurice Bucke, of Canada, published his book in 1901 (yes, 116 years ago), which is essentially a study of individuals who have "awakened", in Bucke's view. His book is, Cosmic Consciousness -- A Study In the Evolution of the Human Mind. This book is still in print.

Case-studies of some three dozen people are given, and include such famous figures as Jesus, Buddha, Dostoevsky, etc.

Statistics are also given regarding age at the time of the onset of Cosmic Consciousness (awakening... ) in the person. The average age in his sample is age 27.

--Joe

p.s. hmm, there's an informal notion of a "27 Club", a cadre of rock-and-roll stars who died at age 27. I think it has over half a dozen "members", and the ones who come to mind are Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Brian Jones (hmm, Jimi, Janis, Jim, and Jones... lots of "j"s), and then more recently one Kurt Cobain. Mama Cass and Karen Carpenter passed at age 32.
desert_woodworker

Postby Guo Gu on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:35 am

hi all,
glad this phenomenon of relating to fellow forum members is being discussed... it's certainly an aspect of part of the "practice in daily life," especially nowadays when for many ppl, much time is spent on the internet.
i like avisitor's note about: what do you want to learn? a similar question can be asked whenever we post:
what do i want to share (as what we share says something about ourselves)?
giving and taking is always reciprocal and reflexive....
be kind and reflexive,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks Joe sounds fun and interesting, I see it on a Dutch bookie site for 13.49 so I'm gonna order it.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 pm

fukasetsu wrote:Thanks Joe sounds fun and interesting, I see it on a Dutch bookie site for 13.49 so I'm gonna order it.

Fuki, too-cool!, Jimbo.

If you want to, we can chew-the-rag about it (i.e., "discuss"). This is a book I've had -- and digested -- since 1975. No biggie; just fun.

--Joe

ps Here's Jimi.

Too many times posted here, I blush from my ignoring discipline or good sense. But, the Germans in the audience didn't yet quite understand what they are seeing and hearing, do they? It's a a bit perverse, therefore! Or, their time has not yet come.

We can ignore them, prior, and present -- and just look and listen, now.

And, hope to try to understand (?) how Jimi so naturally played his Gibson Stratocaster upside-down and backwards (for those of us who are not Southpaws, as he was). No, but for him it was old-business.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Haha the audience, hey thanks, Joe. I can tease my friend from Munich with this.

Yes should be fun discussing the book if I start reading it soon.

ps ignoring discipline or good sense depends on the crowd and enviroment (conditions I could have said) :ninja:
fukasetsu

Postby Guo Gu on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:29 am

hi all,
how are you all doing? are you taking good care of yourself, your loved ones, and the difficult people and challenging situations in life?
be well,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby ed blanco on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Guo Gu wrote:hi all,
how are you all doing? are you taking good care of yourself, your loved ones, and the difficult people and challenging situations in life?
be well,
guo gu

Dear Guo Gu et all, I am taking care of myself. At 73 I feel 53, and that is really good.

Of course the grave matter thingy is there. Who knows when, but really, who cares!

Yesterday after sitting and our service, my friend Mano (Butsujo) emphatically pushed Reverend Sheng-yen at me, again. "Read one book only for a while: METHOD OF NO METHOD", he said.
Okumura roshi recommends Master Sheng-yen to him often.

You had to have been there to get the weight of this suggestion. I felt quite happy and this morning down right light of being.

Thank you Reverend friend and teacher, for you work and care here. And thank all you ZFI regulars too for the same.

In gassho, in gratitude.

:O:
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Buddhism