Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

Teacher Sexual misconduct -Eido Tai Shimano, ZSS, and others

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: Teacher Sexual misconduct -Eido Tai Shimano, ZSS, and ot

Postby genkaku on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:15 am

Jok_Hae wrote:

genkaku wrote: I don't disagree with the content of the article.

Just to be clear: It was Jok Hae who wrote, "I don't disagree with the content of the article."
genkaku

Postby Spike on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 am

Martin Hara, from Genjo’s gmail link:

“On another matter, Eido Roshi will be attending DBZ for OBON on August 11th-12th. He will also conduct
a special ceremony on Sunday with honored guests from Japan, to inaugurate the new Samon Gate for DBZ.”

Shinge reply email to Spike, on ZFI, Wed May 09, 2012 3:40 am:

(Spike) "3. Does Eido Roshi still have access to ZSS property in any way, under any condition?"

(Shinge) "Under very restricted conditions: only by permission, with direction, and supervision, during a time of no official gatherings or programs, for approved reasons, and very briefly."
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby genkaku on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:39 am

A letter posted in the Shimano Archive gives some sense of the incremental return to favored esteem of Eido Shimano and the needs and desires of the Zen Studies Society:

EIDO ROSHI Segaki and Obon /
1 message
Martin Hara Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM
To: sangha list
Dear Dharma Brothers and Sisters,
The Segaki All Day Zazen-Kai at Kips Bay on July 22nd, 2012 was a beautiful time day with Eido Roshi and Aiho. I wanted to acknowledge those who participated in this timeless ceremony. It was a full house and your Zazen made this Segaki very special.

Attached is a photo of the shrine that Roshi had set up for Segaki. Thank you all for making this day complete.

On another matter, Eido Roshi will be attending DBZ for OBON on August 11th-12th. He will also conduct a special ceremony on Sunday with honored guests from Japan, to inaugurate the new Samon Gate for DBZ. This will be an auspicious weekend and an opportunity for all Sangha members to share and honor our Dharma lineage for all times.

HOWEVER, I have just been informed of some talk about CANCELLING OBON due to a lack of Sangha response or support. Cancelling OBON to our Rinzai tradition would be like the Christian Church canceling Easter due to inconveniences. I believe that THIS is not possible as long as there are Sangha members alive who understand the importance of Segaki and OBON as part of our dharma practice and tradition. This is one time where showing up will make a difference.

Please, if you have any intention of attending OBON August 11th -12th, 2012 at DBZ, please register now! Call DBZ for registrations at (845) 439-4566. Email DBZ: office@daibosatsu.org , The weekend cost for room and meals is $250 per person.
Also, if you cannot attend, please contact your friends and family who may be interested.
Please let the ZSS Board know that you are there to be counted and that Dharma will continue.

Thank you with Love and Deep Respect,
Gassho,
Zensho
Zensho Martin Hara
genkaku

Postby Anders on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:51 am

Wow. That is disappointing to read.

----

Prayers with Shinge Roshi. Hope she has a swift recovery.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"
--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Dan74 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:21 am

Dropping in on this thread makes for a grotesque and surreal spectacle.

I mean what does one have to do these days to make himself unfit for spiritual work? Obviously exploiting and traumatising vulnerable disciples, lies and manipulation, sexual misconduct bordering on rape are insufficient.

The Buddha was said to be a healer. A doctor, a healer of bodies, would lose her license for medical negligence and any number of breaches of professional code of conduct. You'd think that a healer of the heart would be held up to an even higher standard... but once again it seems that we live in alternate realities.
Dan74

Postby Carol on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Dan74 wrote:Dropping in on this thread makes for a grotesque and surreal spectacle.

I mean what does one have to do these days to make himself unfit for spiritual work? Obviously exploiting and traumatising vulnerable disciples, lies and manipulation, sexual misconduct bordering on rape are insufficient.

The Buddha was said to be a healer. A doctor, a healer of bodies, would lose her license for medical negligence and any number of breaches of professional code of conduct. You'd think that a healer of the heart would be held up to an even higher standard... but once again it seems that we live in alternate realities.

This is an object lesson in what can happen when reverence for the teacher is mistaken for reverence for the dharma.

Those of us who have teachers know the feeling of gratitude and love that arises when a teacher has helped us to see by pointing in the right direction at the right time, I know I feel it deeply.

But, as Bodhidharma said, "Vast emptiness, nothing holy."

If we turn that gratitude and love into blindeness, into a static reverence that doesn't see this moment and the next and the next and act & respond accordingly, then we are caught in delusion again. A serious tragedy -- both for the student and the teacher, IMO -- caught in the net.

This spectacle unfolding at ZSS before all our eyes is a great lesson -- for all zen teachers and students.

A great koan goes like this:

"Are you awake?" the master asked himself each morning.
"Yes, Yes," he answered.
"Don't be fooled by others," he exhorted.
"No, no," he answered.

Who are those others?
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby christopher::: on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Carol wrote:This spectacle unfolding at ZSS before all our eyes is a great lesson -- for all zen teachers and students.

That really is the key thing. Thanks Carol.
::::: Buddha Nature: Heart of the Dharma :::: Tao & Zen (Facebook page) ::::
"You are the sky. Everything else, it’s just the weather.” ~Pema Chodron
christopher:::
Founding Member

Postby Wallace on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:04 pm

christopher::: wrote:
Carol wrote:This spectacle unfolding at ZSS before all our eyes is a great lesson -- for all zen teachers and students.

That really is the key thing. Thanks Carol.

Indeed, a religion that can't convert tragedy into meaning is not worth much.
Wallace

Postby genkaku on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:50 pm

Of peripheral and associative interest, perhaps, here is a small opinion piece that appeared in today's local paper.
genkaku

Postby Nonin on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:33 pm

Genkaku neglected to mention that he wrote the article he linked to in the above post.

Hands palm-to-palm,

Nonin
Soto Zen Buddhist Priest. Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin Katagiri Roshi.
Abbot and Head Teacher, Nebraska Zen Center / Heartland Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
http://www.prairiewindzen.org
Nonin
Teacher

Postby Wallace on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm

genkaku wrote:

Of peripheral and associative interest, perhaps, here is a small opinion piece that appeared in today's local paper.

There seems to be two basic directions. Digging in or investigating what's going on and honestly dealing with that, however awful it may be. Or focussing on appearances, essentially to maintain the status quo. I think spiritual practice leans towards the former.
Wallace

Postby genkaku on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:32 am

Digging in or investigating what's going on and honestly dealing with that, however awful it may be. Or focussing on appearances, essentially to maintain the status quo. I think spiritual practice leans towards the former.

Spiritual practice, perhaps. But spiritual organizations? I don't know, but I suspect that most if not all organizations have a DNA strand marked "self-preservation."
genkaku

Postby unsui on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 am

genkaku wrote:I don't know, but I suspect that most if not all organizations have a DNA strand marked "self-preservation."

Yes, definitely a challenge! My experience has been that even in a Buddhist organization, it can be difficult for the founders and board not to become attached to the life and survival of the organization simply because of an identification with the organization's purpose and the good that was been brought about. As board members of an inter-Buddhist organization that quite obviously had become outdated, we still "needed" 2 dukkha-filled years to close it down. It was great practice, though!
May we extend This Mind over the whole universe so that we and all beings together may attain maturity in Buddha's wisdom
unsui

Postby Wallace on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:04 pm

unsui wrote:... because of an identification with the organization's purpose and the good...

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who devotes their life to a tradition when their tradition gets tarnished.
Wallace

Postby genkaku on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:25 pm

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who devotes their life to a tradition when their tradition gets tarnished.

Wallace -- I don't know which is more to be feared -- a tradition that never gets tarnished or one that does. I mean that.

Traditions that are alive are no more alive than the aliveness of their constituents, and any serious practicing constituent has run into more than one sink-hole of tarnish along the way, don't you think? Assuming there's some willingness to clean off the tarnish rather than simply obscure it behind pious, regurgitated words, I think tarnish may be a pretty good reminder ... not pleasant, perhaps, but still, useful.
genkaku

Postby Carol on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:46 pm

genkaku wrote:

Wallace -- I don't know which is more to be feared -- a tradition that never gets tarnished or one that does. I mean that.

Traditions that are alive are no more alive than the aliveness of their constituents, and any serious practicing constituent has run into more than one sink-hole of tarnish along the way, don't you think? Assuming there's some willingness to clean off the tarnish rather than simply obscure it behind pious, regurgitated words, I think tarnish may be a pretty good reminder ... not pleasant, perhaps, but still, useful.

I wish there were a "like" button for this.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby Wallace on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Carol wrote:
genkaku wrote:

I wish there were a "like" button for this.

+1
Wallace

Postby Spike on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Shinge Roshi wrote:Dear Zen Studies Society Sangha,

So many of you have written beautiful cards and emails and have phoned regarding my health. Please know that I am grateful for your concern and your chanting, and it has helped a lot. I have taken every imaginable test, and the results are very encouraging: no sign of stroke, my heart is functioning fine now, and the congestion in my lungs has cleared. After a few days' rest, I was able to lead the three-day summer sesshin at Hoen-ji, and I am now looking forward to O-Bon, which is such a deeply meaningful ceremony for all of us.

As I know you all know, sitting and sharing the Dharma is incomparably the best way to heal. At the same time, I am learning to listen to my body, and to yield when rest is needed. This Mind is unlimited, but our bodies are not. I will do my best to model this for all of us.

We are really fortunate in having a great group of residents at Dai Bosatsu Zendo, three of whom will begin 1,000-days training as monks at the end of Golden Wind Sesshin. All who did spring kessei are returning, and several new kessei students will be joining us in September, bringing our total to about fifteen.

Our expanded board of directors benefited tremendously from a 12-hour training in non-profit best practices on July 8 with a professional board facilitator from An Olive Branch. The board will be meeting once a month for the next six months to work on a host of important topics identified at that meeting, and we'll keep you informed as our work unfolds.

We had a wonderful first annual Family Weekend in July, held in the spirit of Nyogen Senzaki's Mentorgarten. Including residents, there were around 65 of us, ranging in age from a few months to over 70 years old. The lake, of course, was a tremendous draw— from catching and releasing newts to swimming, boating, and walking the trail. Quite a few parents and children did zazen together in the Beecher House zendo, and Zudi Fuller, who turned 5 that weekend, joined us for morning service (along with Nyozan, her father). There were merry outdoor meals prepared by Yusen and her helpers, including s'mores over hibachi coals. A troupe of children followed Carlos up to hear the evening konsho. Everyone made kites with dragon imagery and then raced along the lawn letting them soar. For more on the Family Weekend and photographs, click here.

The following weekend we were hosts for both a yoga group and Nyogetsu Ronnie Seldin's Shakuhachi retreat. Nyogetsu treated everyone to a beautiful concert on Saturday night.

Last weekend, a large AA group met here. With their enthusiasm and deep introspection into their own path, they were an inspiration to all. Several members of the group helped with O-Bon preparations, and will return to help out during that event. Their support is very much appreciated.

Many Sangha members and delightful newcomers have given so generously of their time and energy to help make all these events possible, and we are very grateful to everyone. With enthusiasm, attentiveness, and a dynamic spirit, let us continue!

Gassho,

Shinge Roshi
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow. --R.H.
Spike

Postby ratzen on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:10 pm

On July 23, 2012 on a post from Shimano archives written by Martin Hara " On another matter, Eido Roshi will be attending DBZ for OBON on August 11th-12th."

In post by Spike:

(Spike) "3. Does Eido Roshi still have access to ZSS property in any way, under any condition?"

(Shinge) "Under very restricted conditions: only by permission, with direction, and supervision, during a time of no official gatherings or programs, for approved reasons, and very briefly."

And now this post by Shinge Roshi : "After a few days' rest, I was able to lead the three-day summer sesshin at Hoen-ji, and I am now looking forward to O-Bon, which is such a deeply meaningful ceremony for all of us."

Will Eido Roshi be at O-Bon? Shinge Roshi needs to be transparent and answer this question directly. If Shinge Roshi and ZSS allow Eido Roshi at DBZ for O-Bon then what of her words that Eido Roshi would NOT be allowed at official gatherings or programs.
ratzen

Postby genkaku on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Follow the money:

"Eido Roshi will be attending DBZ for OBON on August 11th-12th. He will also conduct a special ceremony on Sunday with honored guests from Japan, to inaugurate the new Samon Gate for DBZ."

--- From Playful Moon
genkaku

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Buddhism