Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

Teacher Sexual misconduct -Eido Tai Shimano, ZSS, and others

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: Teacher Sexual misconduct -Eido Tai Shimano, ZSS, and ot

Postby Genjo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:...
What's that saying about "strange bedfellows"? Of course reconciliation of past divides is usually a good sign. Synergies appear in quite unexpected places.

Will Jun Po Roshi's renewed involvement help Shinge Roshi develop greater independence from the gravitational well of Eido Roshi, or will Jun Po Roshi now be pulled by Shinge Roshi back into the Eido Roshi vortex? Life is always good for surprizes.

At this point, I don't expect to train or teach at ZSS, because the current hierarchy, can't bring themselves to admit their culpability organizationally, can't bring themselves to exclude Eido Roshi from the properties (except for funeral services), can't get past having Eido Roshi's possessions cluttering both temples (Shinge has yet to stay in the Abbot's quarters at DBZ), haven't yet written more democratic bylaws with more separation of powers and therefore can't reach out more effectively to those who have been harmed or alienated. Given these conditions, many, myself included, will continue to feel excluded.
Last edited by Genjo on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abbot of Dai Bai Zan Cho Bo Zen Ji (Chobo-Ji) temple, Seattle, USA; psychotherapist and certificated spiritual director.

http://www.choboji.org
Genjo
Teacher

Postby Wallace on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:26 am

Wallace wrote:
Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:It is indeed true that a person may enlightened to some regard, yet the person is still human and may behave badly, even delusory, or commit sexual abuse.

This is an interesting point but it's not clear what you mean by "a person may enlightened to some regard." Would you please consider phrasing this in a way that your meaning is more apparent?

You have not clarified, Gregory Wonderwheel, but I would like to mention something I've just read. In the Mahāyāna tradition, of which Zen is part, both vipaśyanā and metta are believed essential to enlightenment. Without the absolute, the relative can degenerate into pity and sentimentality, whereas the absolute without the relative can lead to nihilism and lack of desire to engage other sentient beings for their benefit, or much worse. Of course for some a true desire to help others may have never been particularly strong, so it may not be as though the realization of emptiness eroded something that was never there to begin with.
Wallace

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 am

Wallace wrote:
Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:It is indeed true that a person may be enlightened to some regard, yet the person is still human and may behave badly, even delusory, or commit sexual abuse.

This is an interesting point but it's not clear what you mean by "a person may be enlightened to some regard." Would you please consider phrasing this in a way that your meaning is more apparent?

Yes, my statement is terse and probably guaranteed to cause confusion. It has to do with the nature of enlightenment and the function of language. Take, for example, the following sentences:
I love chocolate ice cream.
I love my mother.
I love my job.
I love my wife.

The word "love" is the same in each sentence yet means something different in each sentence.

It is the same with the word "enlightenment." Sometimes people hear the word "enlightenment" and assume that the word always means the deepest, most profound, penetrating and widest enlightenment possible, that is, anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. However, reading the sutras it soon becomes clear that enlightenment, like love, comes in varying shades and degrees. Just looking at the label we can identify four levels or layers to the enlightenment (bodhi) cake:

1) bodhi,
2 sambodhi,
3) samyaksambodhi, and
4. anuttarasamyaksambodhi.

For instance, in the Surangama Sutra Purnamaitreyaniputra says,
"World Honored One, although Ananda and those like him have become enlightened, they have not yet cast out their habits and outflows. We in the assembly have reached the level of no outflows. Yet, although we have no outflows, we still have doubts about the dharma we have now heard the Thus Come One speak."
[...]
The World Honored One then told Purna and all the arhats in the assembly who had extinguished their outflows and had reached the level of no study, "Today the Thus Come One will explain in depth the true, supreme meaning within the supreme meaning in order to cause all of you in the assembly who are fixed-nature sound-hearers and those arhats who have not realized the two kinds of emptiness, but are dedicated to the superior vehicle, as well as the others, to obtain the place of still extinction, the one vehicle, the true aranya, the proper place of cultivation. Listen attentively and I will explain it for you."

In this excerpt we can identify at least four levels of enlightenment which I would loosely correlate with the four levels based on the labeling above:
(1) “Bodhi”: equivalent to the enlightenment of Sravakas (hearer-disciples or “sound-hearers”), like Ananda, with continuing outflows and habits (i.e., residual karmic ruts),
(2) “Sambodhi”: equivalent to the enlightenment of Sravakas (hearer-disciples or “sound-hearers”), like Purnamaitreyaniputra, without continuing outflows (but perhaps still with habits as they are not at the stage of no-more-births) but focused on samatha and samadhi (“fixed-nature”),
(3) “Samyak-sambhodi”: equivalent to the enlightenment of Arhats who are without outflows and habits and so are at the stage of no-study and no-more-births, yet who have not realized the two kinds of emptiness, of things (dharmas) and of the person, that is also called the two kinds of egolessness, and
(4) “Anuttara-samyak-sambodhi”: equivalent to the enlightenment of the Tahtagatas (Thus Come Ones) that attains the One Vehicle, the realization of the true forest-born (aranya).

So when faced with a teacher who is exhibiting continuing residual karmic habits (such as Eido Roshi), it does not mean that he or she has no enlightenment or that the enlightenment is false or that they can not assist others to enlightenment, only that the enlightenment is at what I’m calling the first or second level. Thus the enlightenment even at that level may be blazing and crystal clear, but the habit formations are not fully removed and the person seems to have a big rock still in their stream of realization. (For the big boulder metaphor, listen to Genjo Osho’s talk Boulders in the Stream of Dharma.) This identification of different levels to enlightenment is something that many people have either not encountered before or don’t understand, because they were taught that enlightenment is always and only of one kind: the unsurpassed completely equal enlightenment of the Tathagatas, anuttasamyaksambodhi.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby Wallace on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 am

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:
Wallace wrote:
Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:It is indeed true that a person may be enlightened to some regard, yet the person is still human and may behave badly, even delusory, or commit sexual abuse.

This is an interesting point but it's not clear what you mean by "a person may be enlightened to some regard." Would you please consider phrasing this in a way that your meaning is more apparent?

Yes, my statement is terse and probably guaranteed to cause confusion. It has to do with the nature of enlightenment and the function of language.

No, it's simply that I could not determine your meaning from the language that you used. It would be clearer to me if you had put it something like "a person may be enlightened to some degree, and because they are enlightened to a degree they may..." You're literally talking about levels of enlightenment. Do you sincerely believe that this is a new concept for Hammacher?

If by chance Hammacher does have some idea of the levels you mention then maybe his incredulity is really about how a disciple (the first two levels you list - one with continuing outflows and habits or residual karmic ruts) can be regarded as a Master.

Also, in the Mahāyāna tradition, of which Zen is part, both vipaśyanā and metta are believed essential to enlightenment. Without the absolute, the relative can degenerate into pity and sentimentality, whereas the absolute without the relative can lead to nihilism and lack of desire to engage other sentient beings for their benefit, or much worse. Of course for some a true desire to help others may have never been particularly strong, so it may not be as though the realization of emptiness eroded something that was never there to begin with.
Wallace

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 am

Maybe Baizang's FOX can say something about this.... is an enlightened being free from karma? .... careful!
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby genkaku on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Now appearing on The Buddhist Channel: "The Shimano saga: Selling off to pay the rent?"
genkaku

Postby Jok_Hae on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:25 pm

genkaku wrote:Now appearing on The Buddhist Channel: "The Shimano saga: Selling off to pay the rent?"

Thanks Adam. Is there some reason the author isn't cited? Or did I just miss it?

*clicking around, I notice that the website provides credit for some articles and not others. I notice the "Zen has no morals" article is also not credited. I'm not crying conspiracy, just curious. Perhaps it is better to ask the website directly. :peace:

Keith
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby genkaku on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Keith -- All I know is it ain't mine.
genkaku

Postby Jok_Hae on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:26 pm

genkaku wrote:Keith -- All I know is it ain't mine.

I was sure of that...it just seems strange to offer up an article without citing the author. Before anyone asks, I don't disagree with the content of the article.
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby Genjo on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Jok_Hae wrote:
genkaku wrote:Keith -- All I know is it ain't mine.

I was sure of that...it just seems strange to offer up an article without citing the author. Before anyone asks, I don't disagree with the content of the article.

Nor mine, and likewise I don't disagree with the content.
Abbot of Dai Bai Zan Cho Bo Zen Ji (Chobo-Ji) temple, Seattle, USA; psychotherapist and certificated spiritual director.

Genjo
Teacher

Postby Spike on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Jok_Hae wrote:
genkaku wrote: I don't disagree with the content of the article.

Two points I disagree with.

First, I'm protective of flora and fauna (disclosure: I worked for The Nature Conservancy (TNC) for 21 years). I am on record in a previous post stating that selling TNC a conservation easement would be a good thing. Has ZSS had its Catskill land scientifically inventoried? I doubt it. Do they know best practices for timber removal? Are they aware how precious their watershed is, and are their manangement decisions in the best interest of what is downstream? In fact, do they even have a management plan for their natural land? I've never heard of one.

I believe the DBZ land is essentially an inholding in the Catskills Reserve, if I remember correctly. TNC would probably transfer the easement to New York State. The NYS Natural Heritage Areas program would probably do an inventory, and the area would become a part of the state's managed area system in the Catskills--all while ZSS retains fee simple ownership, if they decided to pursue such a scenario (i.e., 'not a speck' of actual DBZ dust would have been sold off). A better outcome, for the land and its natural inhabitants, then picemeal development or benign neglect.

"Kobutsu Malone attempted to point out that any payment for the land would amount to the support of a "serial sexual predator" and further, were Shimano's depredations become the subject of a lawsuit, the Conservancy might find itself dragged into a legal matter that was not of its own devising. The bad publicity associated with such a legal battle might not be to the Conservancy's benefit."--Buddhist Channel

Second, I defer to Carol or another law expert as to TNC guilt or potential legal complicity. To me it is really a stretch to associate TNC's effort to save natural lands in this particular case with some kind of 'guilt by association' with Shimano. ZSS will spend its money as it is obliged to. Shimano has his own karma, and 'in the readiness of time' he will fully pay for it. No one has to try to accelerate that process. So does ZSS, and that process is likely to be ongoing, with or without the involvement of TNC.
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow --R.H.
Spike

Postby Genjo on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 am

Spike wrote:
Jok_Hae wrote:

...To me it is really a stretch to associate TNC's effort to save natural lands in this particular case with some kind of 'guilt by association' with Shimano. ...

Yup, it's a stretch alright, but it makes me sick to think that most of the monies from this transaction may well end up in Eido Roshi's pocket. The Carlsons who gave much of the monies to establish the properties, would turn over in their graves if this were to come to pass. This precious resource should be used for protecting, growing and improving Zen training in the West. First and foremost for ZSS the monies should be used to help heal the organizational ills that contributed to this fiasco, and some portion reserved to assist those most directly harmed by Eido Roshi's actions. I do hope that ZSS and TNC do one day work out an agreement, but only after a retirement package for the Shimanos has been worked out that doesn't gut the deal or the organization.
Last edited by Genjo on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genjo
Teacher

Postby Carol on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:16 am

Spike wrote:Second, I defer to Carol or another law expert as to TNC guilt or potential legal complicity. To me it is really a stretch to associate TNC's effort to save natural lands in this particular case with some kind of 'guilt by association' with Shimano. ZSS will spend its money as it is obliged to. Shimano has his own karma, and 'in the readiness of time' he will fully pay for it. No one has to try to accelerate that process. So does ZSS, and that process is likely to be ongoing, with or without the involvement of TNC.

I'm not an expert in this area ... but I don't see any "guilt by association" if ZSS sells a conservation easement to TNC. Protecting the land from development, piecemeal sell-off, and other bad things seems like a good idea, whether or not the money is used to pay Shimano's retirement package. Both ZSS and Shimano have their karma to work out. IMO bankruptcy would be a good outcome for ZSS. Sorry Genjo, but keeping it going as a place for growiing and improving Zen training in the west just seems like wishful thinking ... it's not a place where I would send anyone for such training, and isn't about to be any time soon given the inability to face down what has happened and make it right. So, bankruptcy would be a good object lesson for others who think they're outside the laws of karma.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 am

Carol, you seem to make some good points. It seems to me that it's about seeing the direction of the river. If bankruptcy wants to happen, let it. If bankruptcy is on the horizon (and I don't know), then sustaining a training center exists apart from what is happening.

If there is to be a training center that survives, there must be a complete surrender to outcome of it's failure or success. The pulse of what wants to happen must be found. Corruption arises simultaneously with an attempt to move the river where it doesn't want to go... And, the cross-fire will be intense.

Linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Spike on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Changes to Dai Bosatsu Zendo Kongo-Ji Summer Schedule:
Dear Sangha,

We at The Zen Studies Society hope you are all enjoying the summer. We want to let you know that Shinge Roshi was taken to the emergency room on Saturday morning after losing consciousness. A battery of tests ruled out cardiac arrest and stroke, but did reveal mild emphysema and degenerative disc disease.

We have reviewed the summer schedule at Dai Bosatsu Zendo Kongo-Ji with an eye to moderating her commitments, and to consider projected attendance and event preparation. As a result, we are cancelling Samu Sesshin (August 3-8). We will continue to host O-bon (August 11-12), but with a more reserved format. Aside from these changes, we will continue to offer the events published on our Calendar for August and September. We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause.

Thank you
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow --R.H.
Spike

Postby Nonin on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 pm

I just spoke to Shinge Roko over the phone, and she's recovering quite well. All the tests came back negative, so that's a good sign. However, she needs some rest and has decided to step back from her schedule at both Hoen-ji in Syracuse and ZSS for a time until she regains her strength. The burden placed on her by her abbacy at two places and the stress from trying to negotiate the situation at ZSS have obviously taken a toll on her health.

I have placed her on our temple health and well-being list, so we'll be chanting her name every morning during service. She can use every bit of healing energy that we can send her way at this time.

Hands palm-to-palm,

Nonin
Soto Zen Buddhist Priest. Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin Katagiri Roshi.
Abbot and Head Teacher, Nebraska Zen Center / Heartland Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
http://www.prairiewindzen.org
Nonin
Teacher

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks, Nonin,

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby Quiet Heart on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:28 am

:) There's a Shakesperean sonnet that goes something like this (I'm trying to quote it from memory, so I might not have it exactly correct).

They that have power to hurt, but will do none.
Who, moving others, are themselves as stone,
Cold to temptation, and to anger slow.
These rightly do inherit heaven's graces.
They alone the Lords and Masters of their own faces.
We others but stewards to their excellance.
For that summer flower is to the summer sweet,
but should such flower with some base infection meet,
the rankest weed outbraves his dignity

Actually I think Shakespere intended that to be a commentary on some of the high ranking political or religious figures of his time, and he had no intention of making a comment on any anything "Buddhist" (which he probably didn't even know existed).
But it still is rather pertainent to this topic, don't you think?
:)
Last edited by Quiet Heart on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Quietness is the beginning of all Things
Quiet Heart

Postby Genjo on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 am

Nonin wrote:I just spoke to Shinge Roko over the phone, and she's recovering quite well. All the tests came back negative, so that's a good sign.... She can use every bit of healing energy that we can send her way at this time.

Agreed! Sending supportive Nen (primal heart/mind energy) to Shinge Roshi. And I hope all who read this do the same.

Meanwhile, back at the fort (DBZ & NYZ) it looks like the O-Bon festival scheduled to be at DBZ August 11th-12th, where Eido Shimano Roshi has been invited to be a special guest for the opening ceremony of the $100,000+ Samon Gate, is in danger of being canceled due to "a lack of Sangha response and support." (See: http://www.shimanoarchive.com/PDFs/2012 ... Sangha.pdf) Also in New York City, Martin Hara, who was chosen a short time ago to serve on the Executive Committee at NY Zendo Shobo-Ji, just recently sponsored an off campus all day Zazen-Kai, held July 22nd, led by none other than Eido Shimano Roshi. I worry even more with Shinge's medical leave of absence that the active old guard at NYZ will soon invite Eido Roshi to continue to teach at the center, rather than just a few blocks away.

As Eido Roshi endlessly said, "May True Dharma Continue", please just not with his continued involvement. Both Shinge Roshi and the rest of the old guard are still having a hard time letting him go, and it is bankrupting and killing the organization he helped found. Undoubtedly, this is also contributing to Shinge's exhaustion and stress. May her medical leave result in a quick and full recovery.

With palms together,

Genjo

Genjo
Teacher

Postby genkaku on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 am

Jok_Hae wrote:

Just to be clear: It was Jok Hae who wrote, "I don't disagree with the content of the article."
genkaku

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Buddhism