Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:42 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

Belief

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: Belief

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Not terribly off topic, Joe. It was believed humans had only so many organs but now have 1 more. And, yes, it will result in another area of medicine. :)

I did not know about the new old constellation. I will google it. I like astrology, but dont know if I believe in any of it. Its just interesting. Just like calendars... :)
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:37 pm

p., Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:Not terribly off topic, Joe. It was believed humans had only so many organs but now have 1 more. And, yes, it will result in another area of medicine. :)

Nifty. I'll look into it (no, not Medical School).

partofit22 wrote:I did not know about the new old constellation. I will google it. I like astrology, but dont know if I believe in any of it. Its just interesting. Just like calendars... :)

For my curious friend, the name of the constellation is Ophiuchus. Just look at any star map of Epoch 2000.0, and see that the line of the Ecliptic ("Zodiac") passes through the boundaries of this constellation. I think it also catches a boundary in Epoch 1950.0, as well.

Like you, I have no belief in astrology's proclamations. But there are many 'astrologies', worldwide. And I know that the Dalai Lama is always located each incarnation to some extent via reliance on some astrology or other that the Tibetan Lamas know how to exercise. So, I stand in awe, sometimes, and scratch my 'ead.

On my best and most generous days, if asked, say, by the Press about astrology, I like to say that it is perhaps just one more way of "focusing one's Intuition". Like throwing the I-Ching. Or looking at Tarot cards. I don't recommend these things, mind you! But sometimes they're better than nothing. Sometimes they're worse. Best of all of course is correct Zen Buddhist practice. ;) Or other correct Buddhist practice. :tongueincheek:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:p., Teresa,

partofit22 wrote:Not terribly off topic, Joe. It was believed humans had only so many organs but now have 1 more. And, yes, it will result in another area of medicine. :)

Nifty. I'll look into it (no, not Medical School).

partofit22 wrote:I did not know about the new old constellation. I will google it. I like astrology, but dont know if I believe in any of it. Its just interesting. Just like calendars... :)

For my curious friend, the name of the constellation is Ophiuchus. Just look at any star map of Epoch 2000.0, and see that the line of the Ecliptic ("Zodiac") passes through the boundaries of this constellation. I think it also catches a boundary in Epoch 1950.0, as well.

Like you, I have no belief in astrology's proclamations. But there are many 'astrologies', worldwide. And I know that the Dalai Lama is always located each incarnation to some extent via reliance on some astrology or other that the Tibetan Lamas know how to exercise. So, I stand in awe, sometimes, and scratch my 'ead.

On my best and most generous days, if asked, say, by the Press about astrology, I like to say that it is perhaps just one more way of "focusing one's Intuition". Like throwing the I-Ching. Or looking at Tarot cards. I don't recommend these things, mind you! But sometimes they're better than nothing. Sometimes they're worse. Best of all of course is correct Zen Buddhist practice. ;) Or other correct Buddhist practice. :tongueincheek:

--Joe

Yes- And like all things can potentially lead to other best of all or other betters one bets are best like hidden lamps and gateless gates-
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:48 pm

p.,

partofit22 wrote:Yes- And like all things can potentially lead to other best of all or other betters one bets are best like hidden lamps and gateless gates-

Neat. Yes, indeedy.

Dunno if you know, but in our Great Zen Buddhist Bodhisattva vows, recited daily a number of times each day on sesshin, or at ordinary daily sits at the zendo or center, one of the four vows treats the great multiplicity and variety of "approaches to Dharma", and their usefulness as tools and avenues to practitioners.

As far as translations go, I give, for example:

"Dharma Gates are countless;
I vow to wake to them
."

or:

"Approaches to Dharma are numberless;
I vow to master them all
."

Like that,

:Namaste:,

--Joe
desert_woodworker