Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:55 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

Walking Meditation ?

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Walking Meditation ?

Postby lok on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:31 pm

anyone practice walking meditation ?

I have started walking early in the morning. As a long time sitting meditator i'm getting familiar with walking and interesting how mind is a little harder to tame than in sitting.
lok

Re: Walking Meditation ?

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Lok,

lok wrote:anyone practice walking meditation ?

Well, kinhin is a traditional practice taught and practiced in Zen Buddhist circles, with the Jikijitsu (time-keeper) usually leading the sangha in the circumambulation of the zendo or Ch'an hall. Of course, it can also be practiced outdoors. Speeds may vary, from very slow, to very, very fast (but not "running": still always one foot on the ground). The "shasshu" hand-position or mudra is usually used in the slow-walking phase. In fast-walking, arms usually swing.

This is one of the Zen Buddhist practices dedicated to bringing meditative clarity and calm (or, our samadhi, if it's developed) into the sphere of ACTIVITY. The focus is on walking. Just walking. One finds one can do this without scaring-away samadhi. Great training... . Kudos!, and bows, to our compassionate ancestors who transmitted our practices to the present generation, where we now have responsibility.

Another such practice is samu, mindful working. Or prostrating. Eating. Etc. And etc.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby lok on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:02 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Lok,

lok wrote:anyone practice walking meditation ?

Well, kinhin is a traditional practice taught and practiced in Zen Buddhist circles, with the Jikijitsu (time-keeper) usually leading the sangha in the circumambulation of the zendo or Ch'an hall. Of course, it can also be practiced outdoors. Speeds may vary, from very slow, to very, very fast (but not "running": still always one foot on the ground). The "shasshu" hand-position or mudra is usually used in the slow-walking phase. In fast-walking, arms usually swing.

This is one of the Zen Buddhist practices dedicated to bringing meditative clarity and calm (or, our samadhi, if it's developed) into the sphere of ACTIVITY. The focus is on walking. Just walking. One finds one can do this without scaring-away samadhi. Great training... . Kudos!, and bows, to our compassionate ancestors who transmitted our practices to the present generation, where we now have responsibility.

Another such practice is samu, mindful working. Or prostrating. Eating. Etc. And etc.

--Joe

Thanks Joe,

at the Zendo I used to attend Kinhin was part of it, to break up sitting periods.
I am now practicing outdoor,early morning walking meditation.
I was just looking for anyone else that practices as well and looking at different ideas on it.

Focus on feet and earth is a method, passively watching..

I have always liked breath awareness and at times counting but in a walking setting does not seem to work as well for me.
lok

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Lok,

lok wrote:at the Zendo I used to attend Kinhin was part of it, to break up sitting periods.

Yes, kinhin can be seen to "break up" the sitting periods. But as an important practice in itself -- in its giving us experience and considerable practice in bringing samadhi to the realm of activity and action -- kinhin is, well, "an important practice in itself".

Focus on feet and earth is a method, passively watching.

Ch'an Master Sheng Yen taught us that the attention is on the bottom of the foot that's on the ground. And at other times, he taught that the attention can be on the "front" of the foot on the ground, and not so much on the arch of the foot's sole. Perhaps different teachers and sanghas will use a different focus, or even teach differently at different times.

I have always liked breath awareness and at times counting but in a walking setting does not seem to work as well for me.

As kinhin is an entirely different and separate practice from zazen, I never carry-over any zazen method to kinhin, but suspend it entirely for the entire period of kinhin, slow or fast. An exception could occur when one is working on a koan, or maybe especially on a first koan, when a teacher might advise that one should hold the koan at all times, no matter whether sitting, walking, working, eating, etc.

Interesting!, that you might try to keep attention on the breath during kinhin. I enjoy the physical focus on the foot (and have long since grown accustomed to it. I'd be hard-pressed to change, now!).

I hope the walking is going well, as a practice. With the seasons set to change rapidly, now, it can be a very fine outdoor practice indeed.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Return to Practical Buddhism