Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

I find what others find interesting, to now be quite boring

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: I find what others find interesting, to now be quite bor

Postby anka on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Maitri,

Your post struck a cord with me. I am a young practitioner and had the same falling out with social media as you did. Simply one day didn't use it..that day then turned into a week.. So on and so forth. Placing a word to this feeling is extremely difficult but bordom comes close . Perhaps simple non attachment is a better explanation.

Since starting to practice there have been days where my girlfriend will think something is bothering me because I am quiet. One time she even asked if I was depressed. This was not the case but it is hard to explain the feeling, my best attempt was as follows. " I am not happy or sad or mad or depressed. I just simply am"

Very hard to explain but I hope others here know the feeling.
anka

Postby Avisitor on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:15 pm

anka wrote:Since starting to practice there have been days where my girlfriend will think something is bothering me because I am quiet. One time she even asked if I was depressed. This was not the case but it is hard to explain the feeling, my best attempt was as follows. " I am not happy or sad or mad or depressed. I just simply am"

Being quiet ... one still must take care of one's responsibilities of life.
This may mean talking to family or girlfriend about what one feels or is going through
Communications ... key to getting along with others
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Sorry, got a message that I was not being PC.
Avisitor

Postby anka on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Avisitor wrote:Being quiet ... one still must take care of one's responsibilities of life.
This may mean talking to family or girlfriend about what one feels or is going through

Thank you :Namaste:

Perhaps my original post made it seems this "quiet" mode is a common occurance. This is a once a month thing.

However, since practicing I have come to really enjoy a quiet environment. It seems odd as I grew up in the TV and video game overstimulation age.
anka

Postby Maitri on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:32 am

anka wrote:Maitri,

Your post struck a cord with me. I am a young practitioner and had the same falling out with social media as you did. Simply one day didn't use it..that day then turned into a week.. So on and so forth. Placing a word to this feeling is extremely difficult but bordom comes close . Perhaps simple non attachment is a better explanation.

Since starting to practice there have been days where my girlfriend will think something is bothering me because I am quiet. One time she even asked if I was depressed. This was not the case but it is hard to explain the feeling, my best attempt was as follows. " I am not happy or sad or mad or depressed. I just simply am"

Very hard to explain but I hope others here know the feeling.

I wish there was a better word for the feeling than mere boredom. lol :lol2: But, I think non-attachment is a good term for it. Also, during meditation, something that has been revealed to me is that I value myself. I didn't always value myself, and I needed or sought out validation from men/relationships and social media provides a false sense of value, I think. It's great to communicate with people as we are here, and social media is a good and convenient tool to stay in touch with friends and family, but I no longer need to be validated by others. Before we love others, we have to love ourselves, and zen has helped me in this regard, so letting go of face book and other social media type things, has been refreshingly effortless. It's interesting that your gf notices your quietness and takes it that way. Most likely this is because we are expected to be constantly busy, talking...socializing. Non stop. It is okay to be quiet, to be contemplative. But, I can understand that maybe she just isn't used to this new you? Is she interested in exploring Zen? Thank you for commenting. :Namaste:
Maitri

Postby Maitri on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:34 am

Avisitor wrote:
anka wrote:Since starting to practice there have been days where my girlfriend will think something is bothering me because I am quiet. One time she even asked if I was depressed. This was not the case but it is hard to explain the feeling, my best attempt was as follows. " I am not happy or sad or mad or depressed. I just simply am"

Being quiet ... one still must take care of one's responsibilities of life.

very true. :)
Maitri

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:02 am

Last week I found this thread to be interesting. ;)
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby cam101+ on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 am

Yes, and one day you will find them interesting again. This is just how it goes in the world of duality and non permanence.
cam101+

Previous

Return to Practical Buddhism