Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:18 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

Work Practice/Practice at Work

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: Work Practice/Practice at Work

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:00 am

Sit regularly

Zazen will take care of it

You will notice changes

No need to reason and manipulate

m
Michaeljc

Postby another_being on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, but concentrate the mind on the present moment.

~Buddha~

Once we become aware of our actions, we can decide whether or not it’s beneficial and, if it’s not, we can decide not to repeat that action. If we’re aware of the habit energies in us and can become more intentional in our thoughts, speech, and actions, then we can transform not only ourselves, but also our ancestors who planted the seeds. We are practicing for all our ancestors and descendants, not just for ourselves; we’re practicing for the whole world.
When we’re able to smile at a provocation, we can be aware of our ability, appreciate it, and continue in this way. If we’re able to do that, it means our ancestors are also able to smile at what is provoking them. If one person keeps calm and smiles at a provocation, the whole world will have a better chance for peace. The key is to be aware of what our actions are. Our mindfulness will help us understand where our actions are coming from.

Thich Nhat Hanh

MANY roads lead to the Path, but basically there are only two: reason and practice. To enter by reason means to realize the essence through instruction and to believe that all living things share the same true nature, which isn’t apparent because it’s shrouded by sensation and delusion. Those who turn from delusion back to reality, who meditate on walls,’ the absence of self and other, the oneness of mortal and sage, and who remain unmoved even by scriptures are in complete and unspoken agreement with reason. Without moving, without effort, they enter, we say, by reason.

-- Bodhidharma

:Namaste:
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby bubuyaya on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:07 am

bubuyaya wrote:
bubuyaya wrote:
JessicaLeigh wrote:
Let's talk about work practice.
I work in retail so much of my work day is spent stocking product, building displays look pretty, and interacting with customers. I spend a lot of time at work, and it's becoming increasingly important to me that I learn a way to make use of this time for my practice.

One common suggestion is to practice single-minded focus on the task at hand.
Another way I've heard this articulated is: be aware of the movements of the body.
I try to bring myself back when I notice wandering thoughts.

Right practicing must lighten your life.

When you walk you are the walking, and the walking is you, so you walk by no walking, because you are always the same you.
When you work you are the working, and the working is you, so you work by no working, because you are always the same you.
When you do single minded focusing you are the doing single minded focusing, and the doing single minded focusing is you, so you do single minded focusing by no doing single minded focusing, because you are always the same you.
When you aware you are the awaring, and the awaring is you, so you aware by no awaring, because you are always the same you.
When you do any try you are the trying, and the trying is you, so you try by no trying, because you are always the same you.
When you are wandering you are the wandering, and the wandering is you, so you wander by no wandering, because you are always the same you.

Let's see what Jesus said,
(17) Jesus said, "I shall give you what no eye has seen and what no ear has heard and what no hand has touched and what has never occurred to the human mind."
(77) Jesus said, "It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

Let's understand Buddha's teaching in Diamond Sutra.
Subhuti, when any zen people say that Thatagatta is either coming and going
either walking and working, he don't yet understand what Thatagatta said about Zen.
bubuyaya

Previous

Return to Practical Buddhism