Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

Facial muscles

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Facial muscles

Postby Michaeljc on Wed May 20, 2015 10:19 am

This is one of these ‘just sharing topics’. Make of it what you will

Although I have been sitting for a number of years it is only within the last couple that I have become aware of facial muscles. I have found them to be a very good indicator of my degree of relaxation during Zazen. I don’t consciously focus on this but just arrive there from time to time. It is not uncommon to find that even after 30 minutes these muscles will tell me I am not fully relaxed. If I then allow these muscles to simply hang off the scull things are for the better.

I abandoned clenched teeth many years ago and now find the tip of my tongue slightly between my teeth. The jaw is in a natural relaxed position. I sometime sneak a look at others during a group sit. The clenched teeth expression just seems to jar somehow with the rest of the posture. I propose that the jaw cannot be relaxed in this position.

A talking point maybe?

m
Michaeljc

Re: Facial muscles

Postby Caodemarte on Wed May 20, 2015 2:41 pm

AFAIK,
Teeth should not be clenched during zazen, but rest very lightly. Tongue tip should be placed on upper palate, roof of mouth, upper teeth roots area to reduce saliva. Face should be relaxed. Slight half smile helps calm and relax face.
Caodemarte

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed May 20, 2015 4:30 pm

I tuck the chin in, a bit.

Not much.

When I teach beginners some fundamentals of sitting in my Buddhist Yoga class series (if they have no established sitting practice yet), I say regarding this tucking-in of the chin, "just ten-percent". And not so that it hurts behind the ears... .

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Guo Gu on Thu May 21, 2015 1:14 am

Michaeljc wrote:This is one of these ‘just sharing topics’. Make of it what you will

Although I have been sitting for a number of years it is only within the last couple that I have become aware of facial muscles. I have found them to be a very good indicator of my degree of relaxation during Zazen. I don’t consciously focus on this but just arrive there from time to time. It is not uncommon to find that even after 30 minutes these muscles will tell me I am not fully relaxed. If I then allow these muscles to simply hang off the scull things are for the better.

I abandoned clenched teeth many years ago and now find the tip of my tongue slightly between my teeth. The jaw is in a natural relaxed position. I sometime sneak a look at others during a group sit. The clenched teeth expression just seems to jar somehow with the rest of the posture. I propose that the jaw cannot be relaxed in this position.

A talking point maybe?

m

michael,
i teach this regularly. here's a audio file recording of how to relax: http://www.tallahasseechan.com/media/gu ... tation.mp3
enjoy,
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Michaeljc on Thu May 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Thank you Guo Gu

What attracted me to Chan/Zen from the beginning is the simplicity of its' essential foundations

m
Michaeljc

Postby lobster on Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 am

Michaeljc wrote:Although I have been sitting for a number of years it is only within the last couple that I have become aware of facial muscles.

Indeed. Me too. :heya:

For me particularly around the eyes and internal organs in the rest of the body. The brain too can be 'relaxed' or loosened ...

I hope to be floating soon :<.<:

:blush:
lobster

Return to Practical Buddhism