Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:04 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

The Foul Wind

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

The Foul Wind

Postby chairmanMeow on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:21 pm

My inlaws have this dog.
A small and neurotic animal.
Four legs and a stomach that runs from potential threats, she is very much like a plankton.
Men and dogs have at least 4,000 years of coevolution,something went awry with this one.
She always has an awful smell no matter how many times you wash her,
When she runs she is a foul wind blowing by.
I friggin love dogs prob more than most people I know, but this one is like a hyena that stalks your plate.
You are but a meaty shield that she can hide behind for a large predator to eat first while she escapes.

I cant say that I like her, but I will fill her food and water dishes. Shes a little shot out, but I refrain from making her nerves worst, even on the days she tries me. (when an animal pisses all over where you sleep outta spite, arghhh) This is the most I think you can expect from anyone. Its easy to fall into some expectation that you have to love everyone, but I say it should be amended to simple tolerance. Ultimately she cant help what she is... I just wish she'd stay the hell away from me.
Buddhism is to life, whats salt is to food.
Iv never walked into a restaurant and ordered a bowl of salt, have you?
chairmanMeow

Re: The Foul Wind

Postby littletsu on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:02 pm

chairmanMeow wrote:Its easy to fall into some expectation that you have to love everyone, but I say it should be amended to simple tolerance. Ultimately she cant help what she is... I just wish she'd stay the hell away from me.

As long as it feels like fulfilling some kinda expectation it is not the real thing, I think. This amendment can be useful to start with, but ultimately it would mean to abandon the bodhisattva ideal, wouldn't it?
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby chairmanMeow on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:09 pm

Im noticing a thing lately, when I totally abandon an Ideal, give it the chance to fail and be total BS thats when any depth of truthiness in it actualizes for me. Its only when Im willing to throw it away is when I can see what Im willing to picking up.

For all intensive purposes I hate this dog, But it would kill me to let her suffer. Funny eh?

Perhaps it is something worth abandoning if its an obstruction to the clarity of itself..nothing holy.
Buddhism is to life, whats salt is to food.
Iv never walked into a restaurant and ordered a bowl of salt, have you?
chairmanMeow

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 pm

chairmanMeow wrote:This is the most I think you can expect from anyone. Its easy to fall into some expectation that you have to love everyone, but I say it should be amended to simple tolerance.

"Likes or dislikes" are natural, I don't mean emotional reactivity (for that comes from grasping and avoiding based on one's attachments) but it's more about aquired tastes, for instance I hardly ever have met a zen teachers who aquired the taste of heavy metal (I mean the music) that doesn't mean one has to hate that music, it's just not one's taste. The same applies to humans or animals, you can't like everyone's form or behaviour but that doesn't mean there's an automatic aversion attached to it, that comes from rom one's own attachment. The sense of loving everyone has nothing to do with one's so called conditioned character or conduct, I love everyone equally but I don;t mistake behaviour for the person (since there's no such thing) Also reminded of a quote from Jackie Robinson;
I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.

I don't like the taste of vanilla (well I do but it's just an example)
but it would be silly to then form some emotional contraction, problem is when one still believes himself to be a person, then one will from one's own psycho-ideal (mostly subconcious) picture create likes and dislikes from whatever is in opposition or conformity from that mental picture. So the other person or animal will then trigger that in the mirror, in the end all likes and dislikes are just a reflection, which is no problem, shit only hits the fan when we imagine those "others" to be something they're not (like a person) That's what happens when we deal with humans or animals, towards vanilla or an ugly car that usually doesn't apply.
Differences are never in opposition.
fukasetsu

Postby Chrisd on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:34 pm

chairmanMeow wrote:Im noticing a thing lately, when I totally abandon an Ideal, give it the chance to fail and be total BS thats when any depth of truthiness in it actualizes for me. Its only when Im willing to throw it away is when I can see what Im willing to picking up.

This seems like the core principle of any genuine spiritual practice to me. Eventually that way of learning does not only apply to ideal's but also to emotion/thought constructs. What needs to be known is known and the emotional garbage is filtered out. I've yet to see how far this form of effortless learning goes.

Scientifically speaking, when you drop the Ideal in consciousness maybe the "unconscious" gets a chance to work at it?

Gary Weber wrote:Complex, insightful problem solving is actually done "off line" in primary consciousness. When answers are found, they are sent through the lateral prefrontal cortex back to secondary consciousness which framed the problem. you can actually detect that the problem has been solved w/EEG w/100% accuracy, 6 to 8 seconds before "you" know it.

Good luck with the dog... seems like a hard one.
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Chrisd wrote:Good luck with the dog... seems like a hard one.

Next life it is his wife probably, then he needs luck, a dog is just a doggie :PP:
fukasetsu

Postby Chrisd on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:56 pm

:lol2: significant insight is always proceeded by significant challenge?
Chrisd

Postby TigerDuck on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:59 am

chairmanMeow wrote:I friggin love dogs prob more than most people I know, but this one is like a hyena that stalks your plate.
You are but a meaty shield that she can hide behind for a large predator to eat first while she escapes.

I cant say that I like her, but I will fill her food and water dishes. Shes a little shot out, but I refrain from making her nerves worst, even on the days she tries me. (when an animal pisses all over where you sleep outta spite, arghhh) This is the most I think you can expect from anyone. Its easy to fall into some expectation that you have to love everyone, but I say it should be amended to simple tolerance. Ultimately she cant help what she is... I just wish she'd stay the hell away from me.

This is a typical example compassion turn to hatred that happened not only on you, but to many people including myself.

Without wisdom (particularly wisdom of emptiness), compassion is beautiful in the beginning, but can be bad at the end.

Through nonconceptuality, he is immovable.

[Nagarjuna]
TigerDuck

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:52 pm

TigerDuck wrote:This is a typical example compassion turn to hatred that happened not only on you, but to many people including myself.

Without wisdom (particularly wisdom of emptiness), compassion is beautiful in the beginning, but can be bad at the end.

People often add "me and mine" to dharmas (and compassion is a dharma because it arises dependently) which is a mistake because then it becomes some ideal or mental picture as if "compassion" belongs to a character or personality, like we have made a volitional choise to be compassionate, it simply doesn't work like that, it's more a perversion then it has anything to do with compassion.
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Chrisd wrote::lol2: significant insight is always proceeded by significant challenge?

Did you mean significant smell? :lol2:
fukasetsu

Postby Chrisd on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:59 pm

:PP:
Chrisd

Return to Practical Buddhism