Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

5 Big Problems With Compassion Baiting

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: 5 Big Problems With Compassion Baiting

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Linda,

It's wonderful to see that so clearly stated. Thank you!

--Joe

ps (you know, though? Sometimes I see Avalokitesvara as real, and I'm one of her arms, and you're another, etc. Granted, I'm a kind of a bony arm, but an arm nonetheless, and with a thousand or so about her person, why should there not be some variety? )

Linda Anderson wrote:There is no Avalokiteshvara or magic wand. There is the possibility of compassion for ourselves and others that arises naturally. Compassion is not about sympathy. When compassion arises naturally, there is no separation, we feel the suffering. In the deepest sense, we are helping as if it was us suffering with no sense of obligation or false egoic agenda. The mystery of compassion simply responds to what is needed. Nothing added.
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:57 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
ps (you know, though? Sometimes I see Avalokitesvara as real, and I'm one of her arms, and you're another, etc. Granted, I'm a kind of a bony arm, but an arm nonetheless, and with a thousand or so about her person, why should there not be some variety? )

A little imagery is always fun... are you the rightie or the leftie... I'm a rightie (omg, in more ways than one)
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:04 am

Well, hi, Linda. No, I don't think it's too personal. I am dexterous, as one of Avalokitesvara's arms. I lean leftwards politically, although I otherwise stand straight. And, I am only as right as I need to be.

So far in this life, it's been a good formula.

Now, ...what if I had been left-handed?

--Joe

ps (you know the funny thing they say: "...If a guy can't be anything else, you've got to at least let him be RIGHT"). ;)

Linda Anderson wrote: are you the rightie or the leftie... I'm a rightie (omg, in more ways than one)
"The abundance of Nature is not a matter of its 'providing' ". -- William James, c. 1901.

"I'd like to say thank-you on behalf of the band and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition". -- John Lennon, clowning on the Let It Be album (1970) recording session.
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:20 am

man oh man, I know that Joe. You are just right, left is good too. ;)
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:41 am

Linda,

Yes! Cheers.

Chowder! Manhattan, or New England.

It's Friday, Chowder Day, on this side of the Date-Line. And Aloha-Friday, in Hawai'i. And time for fried Congrio in Chile.

One of these days, I'll split into seven or eight, and eat in -- and haunt -- all my favorite places. Oops!, "haunt"! It just may be so... .

'til then,

--Joe (the Gustatory, skinny, Astronomer)

Linda Anderson wrote:man oh man, I know that Joe. You are just right, left is good too. ;)
desert_woodworker

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:35 am

New England, ofc!
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Chrisd on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Kojip wrote:
Chrisd wrote:I think the people that abuse would rather shroud themselves in mistery rather than openly claiming a thing as being free of self-delusion.

Hi Chris, I was speaking of those who work with the abused, not abusers. "Compassion baiting" among Buddhists doing social work. sorry for not stating that clearly.

Rereading your post, I see where I misinterpreted it. Funny how that works, suddenly a different view.
Chrisd

Postby Chrisd on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:20 pm

fukasetsu wrote:Do you understand why the question is false? seeing the false as false is true practise.

It's person-based. As if there is an individual that could commit a sex offense or could become enlightened.
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:There is no Avalokiteshvara or magic wand.

Linda there is no truth, only dreaming. ;)

index.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Chrisd wrote:
It's person-based. As if there is an individual that could commit a sex offense or could become enlightened.

Ouch no, that's philosophy. Your "close" with the initial observation of it's person based, but the 2nd part can be the very conceptual conviction why certain master are capable of such offenses!

Always being attentive and never "leaving practise" (aka self-inquiry) will spontaneously show the falseness of the very base we imagine to be and base everything we do, say and think of, this is very cool and 'liberating' to witness. If you see that the question is person based then what does that say about the philosophical addition?
fukasetsu

Postby Chrisd on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:15 pm

If you ask me, it's all false. Yet there is communication.
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I appreciate that, but whenever the false isnt seen as false, the communication will be dependend on that (delusion) base. Being always attentive and observative can make one see this process and when its seen it automatically cuts itself of or liberates itself, like it never happened, like seeing things in a mirage, which in itself is a mirage. The false will keep happening and a false base fearing his own non-existence will slip in like a thief in the night, only the false tries to reinforce or show itself. perserverance and attention is vital for not getting caught up in minds narrative, whenever a question is formed ask yourself the very base by which it came into being, in that way we cannot be tempted to grant some sort of reality to our own thoughts.

It's not all about "no-thought" and "non-dual" samadhi, for the false can experience that too, actually every experience is. Attentive introspection 24/7 it's not about the contents of the experience, but seeing the very base of all experiences. Also checking up on ones reactivity, it doesnt hurt to drink a beer and attent a football game every now and then, otherwise it's all peace/samadhi/bliss and one would imagine there's neither self nor vasana anywhere :peace:
fukasetsu

Postby Carol on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:32 am

Linda Anderson wrote:There is no Avalokiteshvara

Maybe not, if you take such things literally. On the other hand, Bodhisattvas abound throughout space and time and within us all, without separation and without anything extra. Avalokitshvara has appeared in my life at just the right times. I've been blessed to see her and feel her caress, and I'm grateful.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby Linda Anderson on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:42 am

Carol wrote:

Maybe not, if you take such things literally. On the other hand, Bodhisattvas abound throughout space and time and within us all, without separation and without anything extra. Avalokitshvara has appeared in my life at just the right times. I've been blessed to see her and feel her caress, and I'm grateful.

Carol, did you read my whole post .... you seem to have stopped too soon. ofc she lives in us.... come on!

Linda Anderson wrote:
There is no Avalokiteshvara or magic wand. There is the possibility of compassion for ourselves and others that arises naturally. Compassion is not about sympathy. When compassion arises naturally, there is no separation, we feel the suffering. In the deepest sense, we are helping as if it was us suffering with no sense of obligation or false egoic agenda. The mystery of compassion simply responds to what is needed. Nothing added.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Carol on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:26 am

Linda Anderson wrote:
Carol wrote:

Carol, did you read my whole post .... you seem to have stopped too soon. ofc she lives in us.... come on!

Linda Anderson wrote:
There is no Avalokiteshvara or magic wand. There is the possibility of compassion for ourselves and others that arises naturally. Compassion is not about sympathy. When compassion arises naturally, there is no separation, we feel the suffering. In the deepest sense, we are helping as if it was us suffering with no sense of obligation or false egoic agenda. The mystery of compassion simply responds to what is needed. Nothing added.

Yes. I read your whole post.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby TTT on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:27 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Linda,

Yes! Cheers.

Chowder! Manhattan, or New England.

It's Friday, Chowder Day, on this side of the Date-Line. And Aloha-Friday, in Hawai'i. And time for fried Congrio in Chile.

One of these days, I'll split into seven or eight, and eat in -- and haunt -- all my favorite places. Oops!, "haunt"! It just may be so... .

'til then,

--Joe (the Gustatory, skinny, Astronomer)

Linda Anderson wrote:man oh man, I know that Joe. You are just right, left is good too. ;)

Hello, sorry to brake in to the question.

what do you mean?
Spring time
TTT

Postby TTT on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:30 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Linda,

It's wonderful to see that so clearly stated. Thank you!

--Joe

Linda Anderson wrote:There is no Avalokiteshvara or magic wand. There is the possibility of compassion for ourselves and others that arises naturally. Compassion is not about sympathy. When compassion arises naturally, there is no separation, we feel the suffering. In the deepest sense, we are helping as if it was us suffering with no sense of obligation or false egoic agenda. The mystery of compassion simply responds to what is needed. Nothing added.

There are 4 arms in my pic, on Avalotitisvara. Left polisy, is good if neccesery.
Spring time
TTT

Postby chairmanMeow on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:59 am

HA HA HA Iv bonked many in the head with my stick in the name of compassion,
Iv made people feel awful exposing things in the blind spots of their hearts in compassion,
Iv thumped my niece on right in the butt when she got a hold of the bleach under the sink outta compassion
Iv been foolish and lied and cheated to protect someone else and prob will do it again someday outta compassion
The list is endless and I will not end it anytime soon.

Compassion is not what you do, its the why you do something, and has many many faces. We make many ripples dealing with other people what defines us is the attitude in which we make them. When someone wrongs you do you cut back and recoil or do you ask what possesed this thing that happens?
Buddhism is to life, whats salt is to food.
Iv never walked into a restaurant and ordered a bowl of salt, have you?
chairmanMeow

Previous

Return to Practical Buddhism