Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:11 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Practical Buddhism

Meditation Journal

Discussion of Zen Buddhism-in-action, application in daily life.

Re: Meditation Journal

Postby Ko_Shin on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 pm

20 minutes of zazen today at work during lunchtime
"Whether the water is cold or warm, only you will know, and it is not something you can describe to others."
Master Hanshan Deqing "Essentials of Practice and Enlightenment for Beginners" Translation by Guo-gu Shi
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 pm

chanting and 12 minutes of zazen this morning at home
"Whether the water is cold or warm, only you will know, and it is not something you can describe to others."
Master Hanshan Deqing "Essentials of Practice and Enlightenment for Beginners" Translation by Guo-gu Shi
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:06 am

Yesterday, one day retreat, zazenkai, sutra service, zazen and walking, brown bag oryoki, dokusan and a dharma discussion.
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:02 am

chanting and 20 minutes of zazen tonight at home
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 am

Tuesday evening practice at GBZC, chanting 2 periods of zazen with walking in between and dokusan
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:57 pm

chanting and 20 minutes of zazen in my hotel room this morning
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 pm

12 minutes of zazen down by the river today during lunchtime
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:43 pm

chanting and 20 minutes of zazen this morning in my hotel room
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:39 pm

chanting and 15 minutes of zazen this morning at home
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:13 pm

chanting and 20 minutes of zazen this morning at home
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:49 pm

chanting and 20 minutes of zazen this evening at home
Ko_Shin

Postby HAN SEN on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 am

This will sound horrible, but good news is I'm back into sitting again. I've been sporadic about meditation, yoga etc. but got an early start age 16, 1967. Was into TM (1972-78) for a few years, very diligent. Then in the church, prayer and meditation again, very diligent, some sessions an hour long each. (1978-) Then in 1999 began Buddhist-based "formal" mindfulness sitting, and then introduced to zazen along the way. in 2009 i hit a major breakthrough, but began coasting after that. This fall I half way expected to retire but not yet able to do so, not managing stress well so re-established the sitting routine. I'm back up to 20 minutes but i get the best result after 45 min so increasing as schedule allows. I sit daily at 5AM, 9AM on weekends. I didn't realize i'd been coasting downhill that long, from 2009 to 2017. Denial is a funny mechanism, delusional. I regard sitting as a highly effective practice, but sadly i've been very sloppy with it.
HAN SEN

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:35 am

Mop up. Then just go at it at standard and sustainable speed. You are the helmsman.

Don't neglect how a teacher and sangha could help. It's enormous.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Ko_Shin on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:39 pm

20 minutes of zazen at work during lunchtime today
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Saturday morning practice at GBZC, sutra service, 3 periods of zazen with walking in between, dokusan and a dharma discussion
Ko_Shin

Postby Ko_Shin on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Ko_Shin

Postby HAN SEN on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 pm

HAN SEN wrote:This will sound horrible, but good news is I'm back into sitting again. I've been sporadic about meditation, yoga etc. but got an early start age 16, 1967. Was into TM (1972-78) for a few years, very diligent. Then in the church, prayer and meditation again, very diligent, some sessions an hour long each. (1978-) Then in 1999 began Buddhist-based "formal" mindfulness sitting, and then introduced to zazen along the way. in 2009 i hit a major breakthrough, but began coasting after that. This fall I half way expected to retire but not yet able to do so, not managing stress well so re-established the sitting routine. I'm back up to 20 minutes but i get the best result after 45 min so increasing as schedule allows. I sit daily at 5AM, 9AM on weekends. I didn't realize i'd been coasting downhill that long, from 2009 to 2017. Denial is a funny mechanism, delusional. I regard sitting as a highly effective practice, but sadly i've been very sloppy with it.

Oddly, Rains Retreat season, which has some relevance if you enjoy reading the Buddhist origins of it, has brought me great blessings this year (2017). It ended on Oct 5, but rather than back away from practice, i am moving into it. The fact that i began moving into it during the Rains period was oddly appropriate, but not at all done from my side. I'm wondering if an ancestor invoked something regarding her offsprings' offsrings. My notes are precise about which practices I am drawing from, some are clearly from Zen, some from Chan, Thein, Thai Forest, Tibet, India...

One assertion every Buddhist scholar makes is that the original practice recorded in the Nikaya texts is Dhyana. Jhana, Dhyana, Chan, Son, Zen, Thein, they are translations of this same name. The same texts are quite clear about the Path, as it is, on the meditation cushion. But it is what it is. The definitive list of practices I wish to follow up on in the near future as well as going forward over a sustained duration:

formal sitting practice (zazen & qi gong)
walking meditation
while standing (qi gong & yoga)
whilst reclining & body scan
something regarding pranayama
mindfulness of eating
tenzo style kitchen work (vegan & vegetarian)
noble silence
Dharma Studies
Practice Journal
5 Precepts
Living Close to Nature
HAN SEN

Postby HAN SEN on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:21 pm

This is written for the purpose of my own Practice Journal. It will unfold of its own accord...

Should my practice touch on yours, as a practitioner, feel free to sketch in the margins. I'm not lacking in words, and too many words are offered to me each day. Mostly i want to practice, as the only knowledge - is that which arises from direct experience. _/\_
HAN SEN

Postby Ko_Shin on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:52 pm

chanting and 20 minutes of zazen this morning at home
Ko_Shin

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Buddhism