Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:13 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

Postby Meido on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Friends,

I'm very pleased to announce that my book The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice is currently in production with Shambhala Publications, and expected to be available in February or March 2018. Shambhala distributes through Penguin Random House, so this should be available in all the usual places one finds books these days.

I wrote the book originally as a sort of reference for my own students, since there are comparatively few works pertaining to Rinzai practice out there. Naturally the primary "guide to practice" is oral instruction from one's teacher. However, these days I am often contacted by distant folks who haven't yet found a teacher, but might in the meantime benefit from starting to practice in some way. So the intent of the work has broadened over time, and I hope it will be useful especially for people in that situation. The book contains instruction for a number of things that are safe to begin on one's own - methods of relaxation and releasing fixation, basic breath cultivation, zazen, chanting, and more - along with photographs detailing body usage.

I'll use this thread in the future to post updates, and by all means feel free to ask any questions. I am happy to discuss what it contains in a general way. When it does come out, should any of you read it I'd be happy for discussion...and it will be fine to say that you have found it useful for lining bird cages!

Finally, I'd like to thank all of you here. Discussion with you folks over the years provided some of the seeds for this book, and I'm deeply grateful for that.

:Namaste:

~ Meido
Korinji monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺]: http://www.korinji.org
Madison Rinzai Zen Community/Ryugen-ji [機山龍源寺]: http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community: http://www.rinzaizen.org
Meido
Teacher

Re: The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Hearty congratulations, Meido!

And profound thanks for thinking of all of us favorably enough to put this book out there for us all.

May I ask you please to implore the publisher to please speed-up the presses? THANKS!, :)

--Joe

p.s. In your lineage, do students and others call you by a title? Roshi? Sensei? I've sometimes addressed you here as Roshi, but I should have asked, first (yes, it means "Old Man", literally, I think: Oops!). :tongueincheek:

p.p.s. In Amateur Radio, "Old Man" is an old-fashioned ham-radio appellation, used on-air or off with another "ham", and is rather an honorific. If you have a call-sign, you're an "Old Man", it seems. Part of our history... .
desert_woodworker

Postby Meido on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks, Joe.

No speeding up the presses, it's a long production process, perhaps partly because the distributor is so big and with so many projects in the pipeline. However, Shambhala does beautiful work (as evidenced by Guo Gu's book, and others), so it's good. I'm also grateful to have the time to make revisions and get everything as close to right as possible.

Titles: in the usual Rinzai usage, roshi is just used for teachers who received inka shomei, i.e. lineage holders, and who could be qualified to serve as the shike or training master of a monastery. I'd translate it "venerable teacher." But that's something for students to use for their teachers...around here no need to worry about it, just Meido is fine. And otherwise, we'd have to start remembering who around here to call Osho, Laoshi, Rokoji, etc. :)

~ Meido
Meido
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Meido,

Meido wrote:Thanks, Joe.

No speeding up the presses, it's a long production process, perhaps partly because the distributor is so big and with so many projects in the pipeline. However, Shambhala does beautiful work (as evidenced by Guo Gu's book, and others), so it's good. I'm also grateful to have the time to make revisions and get everything as close to right as possible.

Yessir, indeed, Shambhala does some of the best. And a lot of it. "Roger", understood; no speeding-up the presses. Good reasons, I see. :rbow:

Meido wrote:Titles: in the usual Rinzai usage, roshi is just used for teachers who received inka shomei, i.e. lineage holders, and who could be qualified to serve as the shike or training master of a monastery. I'd translate it "venerable teacher."

Certainly, and that's the way I've always taken it (say, among those I've known in Maezumi's line, or in the Diamond Sangha of Aitken Roshi; and, etc.).

And, oh!, mea culpa, thanks: I didn't mean "Old Man", I had that wrong for a moment: I meant "Old Teacher". I think that squares with your "venerable teacher", in meaning.

Meido wrote:But that's something for students to use for their teachers...around here no need to worry about it, just Meido is fine. And otherwise, we'd have to start remembering who around here to call Osho, Laoshi, Rokoji, etc. :)

Again, the line "just don't call me late to dinner" comes to mind. Thanks, Roshi! ;)

Kudos, congrats!, and waiting expectantly here in the desert for the publication date (no, not gonna have a litter of kittens),

Pls. take best of care,

--Joe (Tennen)

ps We should see a crescent moon in this evening's twilight-sky. Another lunation ( 't's called )... . Clear skies, -J.

joe_preaching_the_Law.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Guo Gu on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:01 am

meido,
happy to see it's coming along.
congrats!
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.org/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby Avisitor on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:19 am

Meido wrote:Friends,

I'm very pleased to announce that my book The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice is currently in production with Shambhala Publications, and expected to be available in February or March 2018. Shambhala distributes through Penguin Random House, so this should be available in all the usual places one finds books these days.

I wrote the book originally as a sort of reference for my own students, since there are comparatively few works pertaining to Rinzai practice out there. Naturally the primary "guide to practice" is oral instruction from one's teacher. However, these days I am often contacted by distant folks who haven't yet found a teacher, but might in the meantime benefit from starting to practice in some way. So the intent of the work has broadened over time, and I hope it will be useful especially for people in that situation. The book contains instruction for a number of things that are safe to begin on one's own - methods of relaxation and releasing fixation, basic breath cultivation, zazen, chanting, and more - along with photographs detailing body usage.

~ Meido

Books are wonderful and great for beginners.
However, nothing will ever replace the teachings and practice at the hands of a skillful teacher.
Thank you and the other teachers who make themselves available to us who are seeking
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby TigerDuck on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 am

Through nonconceptuality, he is immovable.

[Nagarjuna]
TigerDuck

Postby Meido on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you for the well-wishes, folks, I appreciate it.

Joe: nice to see a photo of you. I like having faces to go with the names here!

~ Meido
Meido
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Meido,

Meido wrote:Thank you for the well-wishes, folks, I appreciate it.

Joe: nice to see a photo of you. I like having faces to go with the names here!

Thanks. Likewise, I've liked seeing your face in your avatar photo from the start, here.
I use the Bodhi-tree leaves as avatar because I grow the trees at home, and prefer to feature their (Ficus religiosa) leaves rather than my own mug. :tongueincheek:

I'll make an(other) exception here today, though, and try to get away with the claim that the pic I posted yesterday was the "Before" photo, from, well, eons ago. Now, after some goodly amount of Ch'an- and Zen-Practice, here is the "After" photo (with the transmogrification still in-process now, mind-you:

joe_kinderg.jpg

And if that was Kindergarten, here is a Garden photo (tomato-planting time in the desert):

joe_garden.jpg

:Namaste:,

--Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Meido, thanks so much for the recommendation on the Intro to Victor Sogen Hori's ZEN SAND (2003). The free downloadable PDF file is great to have. And...

...I ordered the book (as I mentioned), and received it the next day! I see that the seller is only up the road from me in PHX, though (~110 miles NNW). But, great service.

I'll see what I can do with all the capping phrases, making up some 530 more pages beyond the 100 pages of wonderful Introduction (to Rinzai practice). This is bound to put me in a new mindset regarding koan-practice (I only did a little with Ven. Sheng Yen, and Patrick Hawk Roshi).

BTW, I loved it when Sheng Yen on Ch'an retreats brought out his specifically "Rinzai" aspect. Wow! He could embody and do that WELL. I really cottoned to it and it did me good in early days with him.

Oh: I have a couple more books coming, these by Prof. Heine, which are rather more academic treatises on aspects of koan practice. He's been prolific about that in the past ten years or so, it seems.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby jundo on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:55 am

Lovely! I look forward to reading it.

Nine Bows, Jundo
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby organizational on Mon May 01, 2017 1:22 pm

nice to see your photo!!

--joe

...a nice piece of memoir
Follow White
organizational

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon May 01, 2017 2:28 pm

org'l,

organizational wrote:nice to see your photo!!
...a nice piece of memoir

Good to see you, too! Oops, that's the comedian in your avatar image, not you. Maybe you'll post a personal photo of yourself?

(I think there's a thread for that here at ZFI: I'll search for it, and edit this post with information about it, if so).

tnx,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby organizational on Mon May 01, 2017 5:10 pm

hello dsrt.,

My connection through internet is with cell (mobile) phone.
I have enough photo to share :) but have a technical problem.
The copy paste portion is not working.When i get a tech help

I'll give it a try

thnx,
Follow White
organizational

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Mon May 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Glad to see this coming. Great expectations.
_/|\_ Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Mon May 01, 2017 7:09 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:And, oh!, mea culpa, thanks: I didn't mean "Old Man", I had that wrong for a moment: I meant "Old Teacher". I think that squares with your "venerable teacher", in meaning.

老師: laoshi, roshi, old teacher, old master. Digital Dictionary of Buddhism: ([py] lǎoshī [hb] rōshi) Basic Meaning: old master. Senses: • A Chan/Seon master; esp. one who has trained for many years, and is regarded as being enlightened. In this case, 'old' does not refer so much to age as to long and deep experience. Syn.老禪師. [Ockbae Chun]

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby organizational on Mon May 01, 2017 7:29 pm

All-right!

_/l\_
Follow White
organizational

Postby flutemaker on Tue May 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Meido wrote:and by all means feel free to ask any questions

Meido-sensei:

Speaking of the string and the beads (as discussed earlier elsewhere):

For beginner [and other] students, why is it so customary to anchor their attention onto the [physical] breath (the "string"), and not the heartbeat "pulsation" (the "beads")? Please advise!

Investigatory,

FM

flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed May 03, 2017 3:51 am

FM, et al.,

flutemaker wrote:For beginner [and other] students, why is it so customary to anchor their attention onto the [physical] breath (the "string"), and not the heartbeat "pulsation" (the "beads")? Please advise!

I'd hazard that it's because the breath's physical functioning is traditionally associated with the mind and the will, and the heart's physical functioning is not.

I'd note, too, that only the one organ's oscillations can be suspended for appreciable periods, and not the other's (barring dire consequence). ;)

I remember faintly too some words that describe various parts of the nervous system, and organ functioning, and how some organs are related to one or the other of the systems: autonomic system; sympathetic system; parasympathetic system (etc.).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby lobster on Wed May 03, 2017 8:10 am

flutemaker wrote:Investigatory,

The question I'll leave but that is the most useful mala in a long while. Emptiness or a heartwarming cup in each swing ... :)X

Are you one of those traditional flutists who wears an empty basket on their head? (Komusō). Bravo. Time they were updated with a less formal attire, tin tea cup mala seems ideal ... :)X
lobster

Next

Return to Zen Buddhism