Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:26 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

DANA DONATIONS for a JAPANESE SOTO MONK in TRAINING

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

DANA DONATIONS for a JAPANESE SOTO MONK in TRAINING

Postby jundo on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 am

Kakunen (廓然) is a middle aged Japanese fellow who got the calling for Priest Ordination as a Soto Zen monk. A long time friend of our Sangha, he is now training at Japanese Soto monasteries in Japan and, frankly, he is trying to keep up with the other monks who are mostly kids half his age, and sticking it out despite some other health challenges that knock him down from time to time. He keeps getting back up and is hanging in there despite all the rigors and extreme physical demands of Zen training in Japanese monasteries, sitting and laboring in the snow and cold this past winter. He is now at a temple called Tenryuji in far western Japan, and will soon undergo a period of intensive training at Eiheiji or one of the Soto-shu's other training temples.

He is also nearly broke, no money.

Unlike many of the younger monks who come from temple families, he lacks an established temple and parishioners to support him. To be a monk and to train in Japan takes a surprising amount of money just for equipment (robes, bowls, pieces of equipment and clothing you cannot even imagine from head to foot ... ), not to mention room and board. Below is a picture of him in gear for Takuhatsu (much borrowed, something not acceptable at the training temples), and it will give you an idea:

ImageImage

He writes that the money will go for Robes and Clothing, eating Bowls and other monk's equipment, required books and stationary, sleeping mat, transport to get to the monastery. He may also need to use some funds for medical care for his condition, as he has few resources and is on his own.

There is no set amount that he seeks, he cannot promise what will come of this and if he can even survive the process, and his training will likely take at least a year or two depending on his condition. He does say that, if he can make it through, he wants to someday become a monk who helps people also suffering in life like him.

For now, he has opened a PayPal account...

http://www.paypal.com

His account can be found via his email : monk.kakunen[a]gmail.com

If you feel moved to offer some support, there is much merit in this.

Gassho, Jundo

At his Shukke Tokudo Ordination last year ...

Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Re: DANA DONATIONS for a JAPANESE SOTO MONK in TRAINING

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 am

So blessed: to be a monastic, and a monastic in poverty. A rich resource for all Beings... .

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Jundo,

Does the fellow have a PayPal account-name you could divulge, to which a few spondulicks can thereto be forwarded? tnx,

--Joe

ps ("divulged" either privately by PM, or else in-the-clear, works for me... ). _/\_
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Jundo,

It's good to see the "schematic" of a Japanese Zen Buddhist monk's kit.

I think I last saw this in ... no!, it's not in there (D.T. Suzuki's, THE TRAINING OF THE ZEN BUDDHIST MONK); must have been somewhere else.

Would be nice to have the key to the number codes (although some items are intuitively clear to I.D.).

BTW, I send along this cartoon, perhaps off-topic, or ...Not? :)

--Joe

as_many_as_five.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby HePo on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

dw wrote:
Would be nice to have the key to the number codes (although some items are intuitively clear to I.D.).

- it is the travelling outfit of a Soto zen monk
4.jpg

1  網代笠(あじろがさ)Ajiro-gasa
2  墨染(すみぞめ)の直綴(じきとつ)Sumizome-no-jikitotsu
3  小袖(こそで)Kosode
4  坐蒲(ざぶ)Zabu
5  直綴の裳(も)の部分 Jikitotsu-no-mo
6  脚絆(きゃはん)Kyahan
7  草鞋(わらじ)Waraji
8  丸紐(まるひも)Maruhimo
9  應量器(おうりょうき)[浄巾と共に風呂敷で包んでいる]Ohryoki
10  袈裟文庫(けさぶんこ)Kesabunko
11  鉢単(はったん)Hattan
12  風呂敷 Furoshiki
13  後付(あとづ)け行李(こうり)Atozuke-no-kohri
14  手巾(しゅきん)Shukin
15  頭陀袋(ずだぶくろ)Zutabukuro
16  絡子(らくす)[丸く見えるのは絡子の環珮(かんぱい)Rakusu
17  坐蒲につけられた前後の印(しるし)Zabu-ni-tsukerareta-zenngo-no-shirushi
3.jpg

for more info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HePo

Postby jundo on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:56 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Jundo,

Does the fellow have a PayPal account-name you could divulge, to which a few spondulicks can thereto be forwarded? tnx,

--Joe

ps ("divulged" either privately by PM, or else in-the-clear, works for me... ). _/\_

Thank you. I sent you a PM.

Gassho, Jundo
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:17 pm

jundo wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:Jundo,

Thank you. I sent you a PM.

Thanks, Jundo, I acknowledge receipt of your PM.

I waited a few days so that after an interval we could bump this thread back to the uppermost storey. :heya:

:Namaste:,

--Joe (Tennen)
desert_woodworker

Postby Guo Gu on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:05 am

jundo,
does he have family in japan? is he receiving support from them?
guo gu
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby jundo on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:45 am

Guo Gu wrote:jundo,
guo gu

He has no family to speak of, and the few he has are in no financial condition to help him. I know because I have met some of them.

Gassho, Jundo
jundo
Teacher

Postby jundo on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:50 am

jundo wrote:
Guo Gu wrote:jundo,
guo gu

He has no family to speak of, and the few he has are in no financial condition to help him. I know because I have met some of them.

Gassho, Jundo

Let me add that he has already been engaged in serious Practice for two or three years, at Antai-ji (Kodo Sawaki/Uchiyama Roshi's temple) and elsewhere. Those Soto-shu temples, however, are not authorized to provide recognized monastic training to become a "fully ordained" Soto-shu priest in Japanese Soto-shu because technically they are not included among the formal Soto-shu Training monasteries. It is all rather complicated about which temples can do that and which can't. Now he is being sent to one of the places that can. However, he is not someone who is brand new to all this, and he knows exactly what is involved and the hardness of Training, as he has been on this Path for awhile now.

Gassho, J

SatToday
jundo
Teacher

Postby jundo on Wed May 03, 2017 3:55 am

Kakunen wanted me to post this, with much gratitude for those who helped. Thank you too.

He departs today, and he will not be allowed outside access (no phone calls, no email of course, no newspapers, no visits or visitors) for several months during the start of training ...

I leave Tenryuji and go to Zuioji!

Thank you for helping always.

jundo
Teacher

Return to Zen Buddhism