Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

Gregory's Blog

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

Gregory's Blog

Postby Meido on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:29 pm

An occasional plug is in order, I think, for the blog that our own Gregory maintains...it is worth following.

http://wonderwheels.blogspot.com/

In particular, I have deeply appreciated his reminders over the years that Zen is an expression of the One Vehicle. These days especially when many Buddhist traditions - along with their sometimes triumphalist rhetoric - are in unprecedented encounter with one another, this point becomes even more crucial: that so-called hierarchies of vehicles are not for classifying others, but for correcting oneself and one's own practice.

~ Meido
明道禅徹
The Rinzai Zen Community: http://www.rinzaizen.org
Korinji monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺]: http://www.korinji.org
Madison Rinzai Zen Community/Ryugen-ji [機山龍源寺]: http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
http://rinzaiheartland.blogspot.com
Meido
Teacher

Re: Gregory's Blog

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Meido wrote: this point becomes even more crucial: that so-called hierarchies of vehicles are not for classifying others, but for correcting oneself and one's own practice.

So true, but yet it's a deeply rooted habit to classify so-called others, the one vehicle is also as an expedient concept easy to get lost upon,
that there are no two or three vehicles, doesn't mean the one vehicle means "one" vehicle. For if it is not two, then it can't possibly be one as well. "the one vehicle" is doctrine, not practise.

it reminds me of an Erasmus quote btw.
erasmus.jpg

But cool blog from mr wonderwheel indeed, always enjoyable and inspiring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:34 pm

dear fuki,

fukasetsu wrote:"the one vehicle" is doctrine, not practise.

I don't mean to say we differ.

But I'd say the one vehicle is a result. And, it can be put into practice.

(eh!, nit-picking, maybe... ).

--Joe

ps it's an ("the" embracing- ? ) aspect of Nature, and hence of Human Nature. Call it one, or call it zero. Just don't call it late for dinner.
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks Joe, yes that's clear to me, I just meant anyone can read those words "one vehicle" and have their own fabrication on it, just a reminder that scripture is not truth, but expedient means.
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:47 pm

f.,

fukasetsu wrote:...scripture is not truth, but expedient means.

Can we say Scripture points?

Funny, in my youth, older people taught, "It's impolite to point."

Nowadays, Meteorologists say, "DO point".

Err-r, or is that "dew-point"?

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Mon May 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the plug and kind words Meido and Fukasetsu.

Meido wrote: this point becomes even more crucial: that so-called hierarchies of vehicles are not for classifying others, but for correcting oneself and one's own practice.

fukasetsu wrote:So true, but yet it's a deeply rooted habit to classify so-called others, the one vehicle is also as an expedient concept easy to get lost upon,
that there are no two or three vehicles, doesn't mean the one vehicle means "one" vehicle. For if it is not two, then it can't possibly be one as well. "the one vehicle" is doctrine, not practise.

This point is essential. When the One Vehicle movement arose it was in response to the fracturing of the Buddha Dharma into what was conventionally called "The Eighteen Schools." Originally, the One Vehicle and the Great Vehicle were synonymous. It was "One" because it included all, and it was "Great" because it included all. But human nature being what it is, our deeply engrained ancient habits of antithetical conceptualizations, such as vikalpa and parikalpita, led some to once again bifurcate the Dharma into "Maha/Great" and "Hina/Small" and thus bring back the problem of exclusion and arguments over the Dharma. Since "One Vehicle" has not been as subjected to the exclusivity misinterpretation as the term "Mahayana/Great Vehicle" has, I like to use it when ever appropriate.

This idea of "For if it is not two, then it can't possibly be one as well." is a slippery fish indeed. We can also say, "since two is illusion there can only be one", which is the practice, and not the dogma, of the One Vehicle.
In other words, there is the "One" of illusion, parikalpita, such as 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc., and there is the "One" of relativity, paratantra, such as the digital 1 and 0 , and there is the "One" of parinispanna when standing on zero or 1=0 emptiness/sunyata, since everything is empty there is only the one, since there is only the one, there is no-one, i.e. none.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Return to Zen Buddhism