Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:12 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

Undarkening

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

Undarkening

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Even on a beautiful desert-Spring early morning as this, with migrating White-Winged Doves returned to our warming clime, and Mourning Doves cooing and calling, Cactus Wrens singing, and Mocking Birds going through their repertoire, I'm yet beset with my displeasure with the inadequacy and deviousness of the word "Enlightenment". ;)

I feel it's a bad choice for the translators of Olde to have chosen, in their translations of Hindu and Buddhist scriptures to English. Oh, well, they're moulderin' in the ground, those translators.

But we've been a victim of misleading indications from their choice of word for over 200 years, and yet still give them the benefit of supposition of their authority, ...as if they knew what they were talking about!

(No blame!: they had no [practice-] teachers; and WE didn't really, until, say, the 1960s, when pioneer teachers came in greater numbers [a few... ] to the West, or when quite liberal Roshis opened a few seats in Eastern zendos to Westerners).

I think that what's truer than the implications of and indications of "enlightenment" as a word may be found in a word I've been wrestling for, for quite a while. Right now I suppose it is "Undarkening".

And I'd say that awakening occurs when there is such an undarkening.

Generalizing can be fraught with pitfalls, but I'd say in general that awakening occurs when our true nature is (suddenly... ) uncovered. The opaque and limiting shroud of illusions, delusions, self, other, and habits suddenly tears like a sheet of butcher-paper before one's open eyes, and there is nothing, everything stops, and all our original Human inheritances are suddenly in full force and freely operating, darkness no more in any corner, and no corners at all. All is open as great Space. And true Wisdom (a.k.a. prajna) and true Compassion (a.k.a. karuna) arise in seamless and spontaneous response to circumstances in daily, busy, working life. Marvellous!

People, let's say, with " 'Dogen'-on-their-minds", i.e., use the entrenched speech and speak of "Practice-Enlightenment". Icch. They mean well, but don't savvy to the fact that their speech is at least 200 years out-of-date, and never was even one bit correct (no thanks to those old translators of Olde).

"Practice-Undarkening", I'd say. :tongueincheek:

And wishing All just that.

And never-mind "...the Buddha's Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree, upon seeing the Morning Star".

Uh-uh: "the Buddha's Undarkening". :heya:

truly,

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
desert_woodworker

Re: Undarkening

Postby [james] on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:50 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:"Practice-Undarkening", I'd say. :tongueincheek:

"Lighten up" comes to mind.
[james]

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes, Mr. Rainy-day window. :tongueincheek:

Brighten up,

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby [james] on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Yes, Mr. Rainy-day window. :tongueincheek:

--Joe

Yay!
[james]

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Zen Master Hakuin's (1686-1768) heart and voice resonates, through Mr. Waddell's translation, among the weeds of the present day:

"I left home to become a Buddhist monk when I was fourteen. I became discouraged before even a year was out. My head had been shaved smooth, I wore a black robe, but I hadn’t seen any sign of the Dharma’s marvelous working. I happened to hear that The Lotus Sutra was the king of all the scriptures the Buddha had preached. It was supposed to contain the essential meaning of all the buddhas. I got hold of a copy and read it through. But when I had finished, I closed it with a heavy sigh. “This,” I told myself, “is nothing but a collection of simple tales about cause and effect. True, mention is made of there being ‘only one absolute vehicle,’ and of ‘the changeless, unconditioned tranquillity of all dharmas.’ But on the whole it is what Lin-chi dismissed as ‘mere verbal prescriptions for relieving the world’s ills.’ I’m not going to find what I’m looking for here.”

I was deeply disillusioned. I didn’t get over it for quite some time. Meanwhile, I lived as the priest of a small temple. I reached forty, the age when one is not supposed to be bothered any longer by doubts. One night, I decided to take another look at The Lotus Sutra. I got out my only lamp, turned up the wick, and began to read it once again. I read as far as the third chapter, the one on parables. Then, just like that, all the lingering doubts and uncertainties vanished from my mind. They suddenly ceased to exist. The reason for the Lotus’s reputation as the “king of sutras” was now revealed to me with blinding clarity. Teardrops began cascading down my face like two strings of beads—they came like beans pouring from a ruptured sack. A loud involuntary cry burst from the depths of my being and I began sobbing uncontrollably. And as I did, I knew without any doubt that what I had realized in all those satoris I had experienced, what I had grasped in my understanding of those koans I had passed—had all been totally mistaken. I was finally able to penetrate the source of the free, enlightened activity that permeated Shoju’s [Hakuin's then-teacher] daily life. I also knew beyond doubt that the tongue in the World-honored One’s mouth moved with complete and unrestricted freedom. I realized I richly deserved a good thirty hard blows of the staff, just like Lin-chi!
    "

--Hakuin, The Essential Teachings of Zen Master Hakuin, Norman Waddell
But, alas, even Mr. Norman Waddell is taken-in by the "enlightenment"-word. We could, and can now, do better. ;)

--Joe

Expedient_Means_Lotus_Sutra.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby [james] on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:58 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Yes, Mr. Rainy-day window. :tongueincheek:

Brighten up,

--Joe

Brightenlighten
Lightenbrighten
[james]

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Internet advert campaign for a new laundry bleach? --Joe :) :heya:
desert_woodworker

Postby [james] on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Difficult defilements?
Stubborn karma?
Persistent dissatisfaction?

Undarken today with "Brightenlighten"
(certain conditions may apply)
:) :cry: :) :cry: :)
[james]

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 pm

James, as Ad-Man -- may have missed a "brilliant" career!
The bonze of Charlotte Street, or maybe Madison Avenue. :lol2:

(not even from Arizona..., but shows he has a sense of Yuma!)

--J.

yoga_laundry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:59 am

Entry in a future hyper-net encyclopedia:

"Zen Buddhism, a school known for "Sudden Undarkening" (among its other unique features), a feature previously known as "Sudden Enlightenment", the term deprecated since ancient times (c. 2000 C.E. ). "Sudden Unbenighting" was bandied for an interval, but never gained as great favor, and although correctly descriptive was nonetheless popularly considered unwieldy (yet remains in persistent use within academic circles)."

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 am

[james] wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:Yes, Mr. Rainy-day window.
Brighten up,

Brightenlighten
Lightenbrighten

There once was a Lady from Brighton
whose face was so light she could frighten.
She departed one day,
In a Relativistic way,
...And returned on the previous Thursday.

--Joe

Lady Lynn Sarah Francis Russell-Photonic_of Brighton.jpg
desert_woodworker

Postby [james] on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 am

Tamonata Sutta

Darkness

Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"There are these four types of people to be found existing in the world. Which four? One in darkness who is headed for darkness, one in darkness who is headed for light, one in light who is headed for darkness, and one in light who is headed for light.

"And how is one the type of person in darkness who is headed for darkness? There is the case where a person is born into a lowly family -- the family of a scavenger, a hunter, a basket-weaver, a wheelwright, or a sweeper -- a family that is poor, with little food or drink, living in hardship, where food and clothing are hard to come by. And he is ugly, misshapen, stunted, and sickly: half-blind or deformed or lame or crippled. He doesn't receive any [gifts of] food, drink, clothing, or vehicles; garlands, perfumes, or ointments; bedding, shelter, or lamps. He engages in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, and mental misconduct. Having engaged in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, and mental misconduct, he -- on the break-up of the body, after death -- reappears in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. This is the type of person in darkness who is headed for darkness.

"And how is one the type of person in darkness who is headed for light? There is the case where a person is born into a lower class family -- the family of a scavenger, a hunter, a basket-weaver, a wheelwright, or a sweeper -- a family that is poor, with little food or drink, living in hardship, where food and clothing are hard to come by. And he is ugly, misshapen, stunted, and sickly: half-blind or deformed or lame or crippled. He doesn't receive any [gifts of] food, drink, clothing, or vehicles; garlands, perfumes, or ointments; bedding, shelter, or lamps. He engages in good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, and good mental conduct. Having engaged in good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, and good mental conduct, he -- on the break-up of the body, after death -- reappears in the good destination, the heavenly world. This is the type of person in darkness who is headed for light.

"And how is one the type of person in light who is headed for darkness? There is the case where a person is born into an upper class family -- a noble warrior family, a priestly family, a prosperous householder family -- a family that is rich, with much wealth, with many possessions, with a great deal of money, a great many accoutrements of wealth, a great many commodities. And he is well-built, handsome, extremely inspiring, endowed with a lotus-like complexion. He receives [gifts of] food, drink, clothing, and vehicles; garlands, perfumes, and ointments; bedding, shelter, and lamps. He engages in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, and mental misconduct. Having engaged in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, and mental misconduct, he -- on the break-up of the body, after death -- reappears in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. This is the type of person in light who is headed for darkness.

"And how is one the type of person in light who is headed for light? There is the case where a person is born into an upper class family -- a noble warrior family, a priestly family, a prosperous householder family -- a family that is rich, with much wealth, with many possessions, with a great deal of money, a great many accoutrements of wealth, a great many commodities. And he is well-built, handsome, extremely inspiring, endowed with a lotus-like complexion. He receives [gifts of] food, drink, clothing, and vehicles; garlands, perfumes, and ointments; bedding, shelter, and lamps. He engages in good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, and good mental conduct. Having engaged in good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, and good mental conduct, he -- on the break-up of the body, after death -- reappears in the good destination, the heavenly world. This is the type of person in light who is headed for light.

"These are the four types of people to be found existing in the world."
[james]

Postby flutemaker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:51 am

desert_woodworker wrote: like a sheet of butcher-paper before one's open eyes, and there is nothing,

Look, I would never talk to you again, Mr. WoodMaster, but this is yet another mysterious case on the forum ...

So, at 14:00 local time (GMT-3) while walking in the hills I was about to liken something to... kind of in a theater, a giant curtain -- it just drops down to the floor, together with everything whatsoever -- so it all was just a colorful painting, drawing on the curtain...

Just read this your post, thought to share.

Worst Regards,

FM
flutemaker

Postby Linda Anderson on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 am

smell the roses, Joe ... :daisy:
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:56 am

FM,

You're a good man, :Namaste:, Charlie Brown.

BTW, things are looking-up, in Astronomy.

sonrisas y risas,

--Joe

ps another place, if I may, I'd like to relate to you, FM, experiences of long-sitting in movie theaters as a child of 10 or 11 or so, and the effect on vision which lasted for days afterward. Relevant to our practice. See what you think.

wm_adv.gif

flutemaker wrote:So, at 14:00 local time (GMT-3) while walking in the hills I was about to liken something to... kind of in a theater, a giant curtain -- it just drops down to the floor, together with everything whatsoever -- so it all was just a colorful painting, drawing on the curtain...

Just read this your post, thought to share.
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 am

Linda, thanks, yes. Spring has me on an upswing. I thank my lucky stars, ...such as there Ares.

May the perfume pervade and permeate at your coordinates, too,

--Joe

ps BTW, Linda, I'm at least about half serious in this thread, in case you wondered. And sharing fun.

Linda Anderson wrote:smell the roses, Joe ... :daisy:
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby lobster on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:54 am

Some great alternatives. Might I suggest 'unfished'. :heya:

or perhaps for those of a more Nature Cooked persuasion: 'De-vegetabalised'. :hide:

The Sufi Bodhis use the term 'remeberance' but I feel 'unforgettable' is more attentive. :p:

The Mexican zenniths might use the term ¡Ay, caramba! :dance:
lobster

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 am

l.,

lobster wrote:The Sufi Bodhis use the term 'remeberance' but I feel 'unforgettable' is more attentive.

I was with the Sufis for some years, and, indeed, the practice of Remembrance of God was a strong practice. I even carried a 33-bead Sufi rosary, and used it discreetly in New York, walking on the streets (and Avenues) of Manhattan, as an assist with Remembrance-mantra mental recitation.

Alas, I know no Mexican Zennists; I wish I did, living 100 km north of Old Mexico as I do, and having some pretty good high school and university Spanish.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Avisitor on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:32 pm

A rose is a rose by any other name ....

Why get hung up on the words?

I thought this thread was going to be about how some begin Zazen or meditation and fall into the dark side, traps.
Some believe that because one is letting go of thoughts that one is trying to get rid of thoughts.
And in fact, have read in other forums where one is so proud to have this ability to walk around without a thought in their head.
Another person heralds no thoughts as the way to enlightenment (undarkening to those with a hang up on the words).

My bad. Sorry.
It has been this way for such a long time. Will this new lexicon bring more people to salvation?
Guess I can't see the forest from the trees.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Sorry, got a message that I was not being PC.
Avisitor

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Avisitor wrote:Guess I can't see the forest from the trees.

Absitively no cents of Yuma, 's ur prob.

2 ships passing in de nite,

:lol2:

--Joe

wooden_ships_on_the_water_very_free.jpg
desert_woodworker

Next

Return to Zen Buddhism