Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

Undarkening

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

Re: Undarkening

Postby flutemaker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:See what you think.

I think too much. I think why some keep their mouth firmly and properly shut about the "unimaginable" awakening, while some others are about to tell what it is like to the right and to the left, 1001 times, here, and openly, and what the aftershocks are, and how it all goes. I think "Undarkening" is a poor choice, for it all is bright and colorful from the outset. I think "stubborn" is not good as a word either, and rather "persistent" is. I think I know what being persistent means, thanks to a multi-year experiment of being properly persistent. I think I don't keep photo albums of what is happening life-practice-wise and not a master to properly express it in words (there was never need to precisely explain anything to myself) so most (if not all) of it is properly forgotten and is left behind. I think you don't and cannot know that any sort of a stubborn persistence is still dependent on the stars and their position in the sky (both figuratively and literally speaking), that can be just not right for rather prolonged time. And cannot know a number of groups and individuals I could have meanwhile contacted, remotely and in person, visiting their gatherings, and that in this country this is impolite to say "no" but the "yes" could never materialize into what is desired. And cannot know what is it like to receive rejection of US tourist visa on grounds one cannot prove they are not intending to immigrate into this paradise (God Bless America), for to prove that one must show "ties" to their home country, but one can have no ties whatsoever to any place on this planet. But what you could still remember is the old Sufi story involving the bird in the room and the clapping of one's hands to make it free. There is a time when there is no more willing to continue being stubborn and persistent, and there is a time to just have a rest right on top of the window frame. More?.. I have more.
flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:33 pm

FM,

Good deal. Tnx for your reply.

You're not out of options. As I've reiterated a handful of times, you might (could possibly, it's up to you... ) start a sitting-group there, allow and encourage it to grow, and then invite a teacher to come THERE to hold Court, err-r, hold sesshin, or other practices and teachings. If necessary for the visiting teacher, a translator could be found there for addressing the assembly in case most or all speak only (beautiful..., Chilean... ) Spanish. Of course, if it's Daniel Terragno Roshi, well, he's a native Chileno: his group's current website is here: http://www.ysdharma.org/zen-teacher/our ... acher-182/

We did this in this desert town. Five guys and 2 gals started Zen Desert Sangha in 1982. I arrived and joined in 1988, and remained a member for 21 years. We attracted Maezumi Roshi from Los Angeles Zen Center, and then Robert Aitken Roshi to come from Hawai'i to teach us at first, and then Aitken Roshi sent some of his successors to us, and one remained with us for about 20 years until his death in May, 2012 -- that was Patrick Hawk Roshi:

http://sweepingzen.com/fr-patrick-hawk- ... rt-sangha/

Initially, our group invited Maezumi Roshi by letter to come from his center in Los Angeles to Arizona to teach us here. He came, and held some 6 sesshin here over a few years. Then the sangha turned to Aitken Roshi when it was becoming harder for Maezumi to get away: Maezumi's Center had grown quite huge (!) in LA and he had lots more demands on his time and attention.

The ZDS website is here:

http://www.zendesertsangha.org/

I'm happy to share this practical Dharma information with you, and Everyone.

_/\_ ,

--Joe

Pat_Hawk_Roshi_Joe_Jukai_sesshin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby flutemaker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Happy "Undarkening" --- Up There.

Here --- There Is No Darkness.

0.jpg
flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 pm

flutemaker wrote:Happy "Undarkening" --- Up There.

Here --- There Is No Darkness.

Same here; that's what Undarkening is all about (in English). 'cept when I take a 'scope out at night. Plenty darkly-bright. Precious.

flutemaker wrote:0.jpg

Beautiful. I like the Pines. I take the sound of wind in Pines to be "the Breath of the Buddha". thanks!,

_/\_ ,

--Joe

ps Interesting photography, as always, Ani (kudos... ).
desert_woodworker

Postby flutemaker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:13 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:ps Interesting photography

Means, you noted the reflection of the "dirt road" up in the sky formed by the clouds (that one could hardly qualify for the name "dirt road"). Good if you did.
flutemaker

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 pm

flutemaker wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:ps Interesting photography

Means, you noted the reflection of the "dirt road" up in the sky formed by the clouds (that one could hardly qualify for the name "dirt road"). Good if you did.

Oh, yes. That does not escape my vision (I'm a photographer too, and painter. I "like" good composition, and juxtaposition). My teachers were Alfred Stieglitz, Ansel Adams, Edward Weston ("The Three Patriarchs of American Photography"), and Minor White, John Daido Loori Roshi, and others.

That type of cloud formation was called "Christmas Clouds", by one of my Tech friends on Tololo, Sr. Patricio Ugarte, un hombre muy capaz.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby flutemaker on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Ha-ha, at this speed soon I'll have nothing to undarken. Look up the 6.9 magnitude quake 1 hour ago some 50 km West of Valparaiso. Much stronger than Friday's 6.0.
flutemaker

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:37 am

flutemaker wrote:Ha-ha, at this speed soon I'll have nothing to undarken. Look up the 6.9 magnitude quake 1 hour ago some 50 km West of Valparaiso. Much stronger than Friday's 6.0.

I'd know El Gate anywhere!

be safe, ElG

linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 am

Linda,

Linda Anderson wrote: I'd know El Gate anywhere!

Hmm, you're thinking of "Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate, Bodhi, svaha!", there.

Or, Wumen's "Gateless Gate" (collection of koans).

Kudos.

In Chile, everything is diminutive, I mean, made so in speech. So, for example, "el Gato" becomes, "el Gatito".

It's a way of making things precious, and being informal. Want a tea? Then, order a "tecito". Want a coffee? Then, "cafecito". An after-dinner digestive herbal-tea, made with fresh Peppermint leaf, or fresh Sage? Then order una "aguita". Beer? "Cervecito". Como eso.

My favorite of the diminutive expressions in Chile comes when choosing between a small-size and large-size something-or-other. Want the BIG one, the super-sized thing-ie? Then, it's "El Grandecito".

But we do something similar sometimes. After all, we have "the Little-Bighorn". Or, "no Biggie". :tongueincheek:

Chile's a wonderful place, with wonderful people and culture. And natural beauty. And usually the best Economy in all S. America, or all Latin America, even during toughest times elsewhere, or there.

:Namaste:,

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:30 am

FM (in the A.M.),

flutemaker wrote:Ha-ha, at this speed soon I'll have nothing to undarken. Look up the 6.9 magnitude quake 1 hour ago some 50 km West of Valparaiso. Much stronger than Friday's 6.0.

I hope everyone is safe. And no damage.

Chile is faulty (so is California).

Crack it up to subduction.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun May 21, 2017 7:13 pm

May true Dharma continue,
and Undarkening not be lost.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Previous