Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 7:16 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

Meditation Techniques

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

Meditation Techniques

Postby Avisitor on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:07 am

User avatar
Avisitor
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:43 pm
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:45 pm

Can someone please post meditation techniaues here?

Buddha says in the fourth noble path, divided in 8 sections, in the last two ways, there are meditation ( reflection) and consentration (breating). Is what is between paranthesis right? What does consentraion help beside anchoring you to reality? I feel it doesn't help anchoring to reality, consentraion, only satory the moment it lasts, enlightment, but it does help me live thourgh my day and get through life. It increases my endurance and gives me a life system.

Because I otehrwise wake up at night and am a wreck.

Please talk about meditation techniques, and it would be best if you could give an overview first. Thanks.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Lunarious1987 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:57 pm

I bought a zafu a week ago ca. And i have been meditating alot, it came easily as i have tried to meditate alot when i was younger. Now I can sit for 20 or maybe 30 minutes no stress. I am ready for advanced practise. Is these advanced practise?

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Caodemarte on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:02 pm

The best (and most advanced technique) is to go to a zen or other Buddhist center and learn zazen (or other form of meditation if going to a different Buddhist group) from a qualified person who can actually see and talk to you. :Namaste:
Caodemarte
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 am

L.,

I add my voice to Caodemarte's and recommend learning "meditation" from a true teacher, in person.

I can also suggest that physical practice is very valuable for anyone who would practice Buddhist sitting of any kind. Fortunately, "Yoga", as in Hatha Yoga, as a form of physical practice, is very popular in many parts of the world now, and if it should be convenient to attend Yoga classes near you, the results of the practice should really help your meditation practice. You can prove this for yourself.

At a Buddhist practice center, you may also learn physical practice methods that are proper to the school or sect of Buddhism that the center is dedicated to. If physical methods are not obvious, one can always "ask" (the Teacher; and/or senior students).

rgds,

--Joe
User avatar
desert_woodworker
 
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 am
Location: southern Arizona, USA

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Lunarious1987 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 am

Sorry. I can't go to a Zen center because I am muslim and we do not accept you as a religion, we can look into your stuff but not adopt them strictrly speaking. You've got good things, but i said we do not accept you as a religion. Or anything else. You don't know what you are. I'll tell you what Buddha is. He is a prophet. I've actually heard that Buddhist text have been changed. Buddhas word has been changed. And it is really not Buddha speaking, it is Tathagata speaking.

Hinduism separates itself from Buddhism, Buddhism separates itself from Hinduism. There is God.

And one important thing I want to say is that this place does not allow talking about how benefical a teacher is. If you are going to say anything, say somsething useful. This place is for Zen WIHTOUT teacher.

I am not talking to you as an animal (stupidity and servitude). I actually belive I am an Ashura to the extent that is possible. I could also be a Deva. ANd i am not here to please you. You are not "non attached". Woodworker and everyone else. You are attached to pleasure. Buddha said that reason that samsara perseveres in your life is because of desire. You got desire to talk to me as if i am inferior and you got something to show or teach me. Allah says, do you teach me about your religion (if it is a religion) and Allah knows what is in heaven and earth? I WONT go to a Zendo, because you got your customs and trappings you want to keep and feel safe around but it is full of the stench of desire. You are pigs in the three poisons.

I told you Woodworker. Bodhisattvas in Mahayana detach. And not non attach. Maybe not you, but they do. Buddha do. And desire is not so bad, you really have to be non attached. Not merely wearing the arahants or bikkhus robe yet you practise immodesty and probably drink beer and dance and sing (bad songs), and watch TV. I only watch the news. Some rare times other things to keep me informed on the world.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:16 pm

L.,

Lunarious1987 wrote:I told you Woodworker. Bodhisattvas in Mahayana detach. And not non attach. Maybe not you, but they do.

If "telling" comes from your own experience and understanding, that is one thing. But it does not ring true in what you say.

One more time, "detachment" is not a Buddhist leaning. But, Non-attachment develops as one's practice matures.

It may not be possible for your practice to mature -- if indeed you wish to learn and practice Zen Buddhist practice(s) -- because one must almost always have a teacher and sangha to learn with and practice with. As you say your faith as a Muslim precludes this, then this is impossible for you to do, or you make it impossible for yourself. Sorry... .

With no proper and correct practice, anything you say about what you believe to be "Zen Buddhism" is uninformed. And I think that is the way people here and elsewhere will take your posts.

If you live as a Muslim, you may be better advised to look at the meditative practices of the Sufis, if you want to be close to some of the spirit and practice of what Zen Buddhists exercise. There are major differences of approach, practice, and philosophy, of course, but Sufism is a path devoted to the heart, and Zen Buddhism is a path devoted to opening the heart of true Compassion, informed by true Wisdom.

By the way, I'd say that a person may see Zen Buddhism as a system of medicine, medicine for waking-up, and that it need not be seen or understood as a "religion". Zen Buddhism neither "installs" nor denies a God in the universe. It is instead, in fact, a compassionate system of medicine that helps and enables us to wake-up to what is truly in the universe, and what is true of the nature of the universe and of ourselves. Thus, I would say that a truly religious, intelligent, Muslim would find no conflict with Zen Buddhist practice at a Zen Buddhist practice center, or with a Zen Buddhist teacher as an advisor of one's Zen Buddhist practice.

I opine that one may submit even much more compliantly to God when one is awake, than when one is deluded.

w/ regards,

--Joe
User avatar
desert_woodworker
 
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 am
Location: southern Arizona, USA

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Caodemarte on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Without knowing anybody's individual sect or interpretation of their own personal religion, the idea that Islam or other religions in general forbid Zen practice is most likely to be based on a misinterpretation of Zen practice as some form of idolatry (which is forbidden in Abrahamic religions).

Practicing Muslims (as well as Christians, Jews, etc.) of all kinds do come to zendos and practice Zen, without conflict with their religion. If your particular interpretation of your religion forbids it, then don't. If you don't want to go, then don't. If zazen is bad for you, don't do it. There is no external compulsion in serious practice.
:Namaste:
Last edited by Caodemarte on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caodemarte
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Lunarious1987 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:39 pm

You think you got something. You are holding air. You are not BUDDHAS and your consent is not required. Prophets had miracles, what do you have?
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:25 am

L.,

Lunarious1987 wrote:You think you got something. You are holding air. You are not BUDDHAS and your consent is not required. Prophets had miracles, what do you have?

Holding, and emptying, air.

Breath.

That is the miracle.

What do you have?

--Joe
User avatar
desert_woodworker
 
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 am
Location: southern Arizona, USA

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Lunarious1987 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:43 pm

I have something to offer. That is what I have. You have nothing to offer. The only reason you post in these threads of mine is because you want to appease your conscience since you "want" to have something to offer. Your minds are fucked up because of all of this secrecy. Buddha said let your hand be open. Islam says do not clench your fist, yet do not hold it open, something in the middle.

And Dalai Lama said that emptiness is not just a word to say and you think you are something or have achieved something, you have to live it. LIkewise with air. LIke you said it.

IF you have nothing to offer please leave. I don't want you sympathy. I however, follow God, who does miracles. You are amazed by magicians and think "wow" so you are blind.
*
Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:12 pm

L.,

See the Sufis. Their meditation methods and physical practices are great. Probably no need to look into Buddhism.

--Joe
User avatar
desert_woodworker
 
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 am
Location: southern Arizona, USA

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Lunarious1987 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm

No. Do you know what no means? The prophet Muhammed says collect knowledge as far as China. Or Japan. And the QUran say Allah is everywhere, yet he is pure. You are not ALlah if you think so. BEcause craeation and creator are different.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:34 pm

L.,

No, I am not Allah, as far as I know. I am Joe.

It seems you're closed-off to investigating the Sufi methods. Very interesting.

You brought up "breath", once. That is the miracle. Try the Buddhist method of breath, if Sufi zikr is not of interest to you to learn, in your collecting knowledge from far and wide (but often, the closest things are ignored, in greed to acquire things from far).

--Joe
User avatar
desert_woodworker
 
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 am
Location: southern Arizona, USA

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Caodemarte on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:00 am

I was always taught that there are no real or important secrets in Zen. My old Rinzai teacher said he taught "with open hands," holding nothing back. Some people have quite a deep practice with simple bowing and/or focus on breath. That said, personal meetings and sitting with others can be very helpful and supportive, but this is a very simple, very deep practice. What can be offered are non-essential, but helpful, tips and encouragement. There is no magic hidden technique to see what is in front of us. No permissions. Nothing withheld.

I am sure you can find other religions and other sects of Buddhism that may talk about having more advanced and less advanced hidden techniques or secrets. Not here.

P.S.
Because Zen is so simple and focuses on the essentials Muslim Zen practioners wokd tell you that Zen practice can be integrated with Islamic, Sufi or not, practice. However, you would have to speak with them about that.
Caodemarte
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Linda Anderson on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:21 am

Lunarious1987 wrote:I bought a zafu a week ago ca. And i have been meditating alot, it came easily as i have tried to meditate alot when i was younger. Now I can sit for 20 or maybe 30 minutes no stress. I am ready for advanced practise. Is these advanced practise?

Peace


Lunarious, if so, you are ready for practice that is neither advanced nor not advanced. To answer your question, there is no such thing as advanced practice. Only practice, if you wish to practice.... and, it's so simple tho we say so much. ofc, there are many sides, so they say. Just notice....
best
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
User avatar
Linda Anderson
 
Posts: 3613
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: Forestville, CA

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Lunarious1987 wrote:I have something to offer. That is what I have. You have nothing to offer. The only reason you post in these threads of mine is because you want to appease your conscience since you "want" to have something to offer. Your minds are fucked up because of all of this secrecy.


I disagree, Joe has plenty to offer and whatever he offers is in selfless service, that you're not able (yet) to see this doesn't change the facts. I suggest you start paying closer attention to what he says instead of reacting too soon because you don't like the words on the screen, perhaps you're not capable of understanding what is said yet so that means you must keep an open mind and politely enquire further. :)
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 6459
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Linda Anderson wrote:To answer your question, there is no such thing as advanced practice.

No, but there is a difference in the intensity of practise, the sincerity and preseverance. :)
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
User avatar
fukasetsu
 
Posts: 6459
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby Lunarious1987 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm not interested in his selfless ness. Service or whatever. He is like a fly which you shoo off then it comes back. And He talks too much. And I have a Sufi friend in now.

Peace

So, there is no advanced practiise. But meditation is two types, right? Consentraetion and reflection. Right?

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Meditation Techniques

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 pm

L.,

Whatever comes next for you, good luck.

--Joe
User avatar
desert_woodworker
 
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 am
Location: southern Arizona, USA

Next

Return to Zen Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
RocketTheme Joomla Templates

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 157 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest