Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

Dealing with doubts

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

Dealing with doubts

Postby organizational on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Dear friend,

cup0ftea,

I have read your post titled "Dealing with doubts" but I couldn't reply as you have been asked that in Ask a Teacher section.

As I am not a teacher yet moreoverly I'm at level one according to ten bulls I want to share my thoughts with you.Cause up to a close time I have had doubts, questions and thoughts dwelling around my head like you.When I wrote a simple answer I had been asking my self Did I do the right thing? Did I give the right answer? Or asking the same question in every other aspects of life.Obviously I have had many doubts..

Later, I have came acroos with the 'White' Method. Or Following white method.
In this method;You simply follow white..nothing more.I have practiced it.And ın a very small amount of time all the doubts I have were gone.You believe or not I have not even a single tiny amount of doubt in my head now.And become ready for zen practice as which that suit to a Zen Student.

In Following White Method just a non thinking mind is required.When your non-thinking thought is match with white in your mind or around sth.you, you act,you reply, you speak etc.

By this way I have settled down..

Now, I highly recommend this new Method to teachers, to new comers and all the practitioners,

I want teachers and others to teach and spread this Method to everyone,

with kind regards,
Follow White
organizational

Re: Dealing with doubts

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:35 pm

organizational wrote:Dear friend,

cup0ftea,

Doubts or the lack (gone-ish) of doubts are objects of mind, they amount to the same, why not send a PM unless you ask for other members to break down your whole post? :)
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby organizational on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:56 am

I want everyone benefit this method.
Follow White
organizational

Postby Michaeljc on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Organizational

I feel that your method probably has some merit. It is not unlike dealing with Mu or the 'sound of one hand'

Cheers

m
Michaeljc

Postby organizational on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:59 am

Yes, it is not unlike.
Follow White
organizational

Postby Herbie on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:20 pm

As an alternative you may also follow yellow. :lol2:
Although we don't know anything, let's make words! Words are inspiring.
Herbie

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Herbie,

Not all that glitters is gold. :tongueincheek:

--Joe

Herbie wrote:As an alternative you may also follow yellow. :lol2:
desert_woodworker

Postby organizational on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:46 pm

What do you mean, desert?
Follow White
organizational

Postby Jok_Hae on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Hello organizational,

Good luck with your method. It sounds like you have found a useful object of meditation and way to bring some peace to yourself. :peace:

Regards,
Keith
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby lobster on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:36 am

organizational wrote:
You simply follow white..nothing more.

How?

Follow white what? Can you explain what it means, how it works, when to do it? :peace:
lobster

Postby organizational on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Hello lobster,

You just keep your Zazen mind.whenever you want.
When your non- thinking thought match with any white (color, object)
You act, speak or put that thought in action.
Simple though.
Follow White
organizational

Postby jundo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 am

Hello Organizational,

I hope that it is right if I respond.

I am not sure what is your "white" method, but if it is helping you see through this divided world, find peace and wholeness beyond and right through all division, then live with wisdom in this wholly-holy-divided world ... then it may be a good method for you. Only you know and don't know.

Some forms of Zen Buddhism speak of "great trust" and "great doubt". The "great doubt" is more typical in Rinzai Zen, in my understanding, and the Soto Zen flavors I know do not emphasize "doubt" as part of the process as much. However, all human beings go through doubt, about themselves, about tomorrow, about their Practice, about 10,000 things.

The form of Shikantaza I practice is a form of "Great Trust" which drops all judgments except for the wholeness and completion of this moment. I sometimes say this:

Shikantaza Zazen must be sat, for the time it is sat, with the student profoundly trusting deep in her bones that sitting itself is a complete and sacred act, the one and only action that need be done in the whole universe in that instant of sitting. This truth should not be thought about or voiced in so many words, but must be silently and subtly felt deep down. The student must taste vibrantly that the mere act of sitting Zazen, in that moment, is whole and thoroughly complete, the total fruition of life’s goals, with nothing lacking and nothing to be added to the bare fact of sitting here and now. There must be a sense that the single performance of crossing the legs (or sitting in some other balanced posture) is the realization of all that was ever sought, that there is simply no other place to go in the world nor thing left to do besides sitting in such posture. ... Zazen is the one task and experience that brings meaning and fruition to that time, with nothing else to do. This fulfillment in “Just Sitting” must be felt with a tangible vibrancy and energy, trusting that one is sitting at the very pinnacle of life.

Now, getting up from the cushion, returning to the divided world, it is wise to sometimes trust and sometimes doubt, as the situation occurs. I trust my wife and I trust that the ground I walk on will not suddenly vanish (although here in earthquake Japan, even that is possible), but I do not walk across an old wooden bridge without tapping it three times, I do not hire a mechanic to fix my car without a recommendation from a friend, I do not fully trust what a politician says, I do not trust what every book says even if a "Buddhist" book. You say "You act, speak or put that thought in action" but, for me, try as I might to say/act/do always the right thing, sometimes I say/act/do the wrong thing nonetheless. I do not think that Zazen or any method will always provide me the right answer to every earthly question (it will not provide me inside information on tomorrow's weather or who to marry), although it my open my heart to make a better choice. We live in a world in which, as human beings to survive, we must sometimes trust and sometimes doubt, for otherwise we would have been eaten by tigers in the jungle long ago. It is part of our survival.

But in sitting Zazen, one experiences a Big "T" Trust in Suchness which is Beyond All Doubt and Beyond All Error, yet which holds and contains all small worldly human beliefs and doubts, right answers and mistakes. It is a Big "B" Bridge and Big "G" Ground that can never fail or fall. This is the Trust in/on/through/as which Shikantaza Zazen sits us. If the ground opens or the bridge breaks, there is No Place to Fall even as I fall. There is Nothing to Choose, a Right that is Right Through All even as I might say the wrong answer in life's quiz show. Though I leave my umbrella and get soaking wet in the rain, one knows that one was Soaking Wet in the Ocean of Wisdom all along.

Understand? Shikantaza is the Colorless-Colorful Palette that holds all the colors of this sometimes beautiful and sometimes ugly world and then some, so perhaps there is some common point with "white."

Gassho, J

SatToday
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby lobster on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 am

organizational wrote:Hello lobster,

You just keep your Zazen mind.whenever you want.
When your non- thinking thought match with any white (color, object)
You act, speak or put that thought in action.
Simple though.

Many thanks @organizational

I understand @jundo post but find your method difficult to follow. Can you elaborate?

It is great that it works for you. When you say 'zazen mind' ... is this clear, still, empty, mindful?
lobster

Postby organizational on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:52 am

Hello lobster,

First try to concentrate on the white color objects around you.
Make all the other colors and objects unnecessary and useless.
Now next step, bring your don't know mind or zazen mind as it's to say.
When a thought appears in your head just check it if it fits with the white objects around you that you have been established.
Do you find the white do only the white (objects) have appear, remain or rise?
Oor Did you feel relax cool?

Then hold that thought and put in action.
If it doesn't fit throw that thought to waste container and keep going your don't know mind.Until the next thought.But it should be a non-thinking thought.

rgds,
Follow White
organizational

Postby organizational on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:01 am

Jundo,

Thanks for sharing!!!

But I have a different question.

I lived a deja vu today.

What is the place of this deja vus in Zen?

thnks,
Follow White
organizational

Postby jundo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:20 am

organizational wrote:Jundo,

Thanks for sharing!!!

But I have a different question.

I lived a deja vu today.

What is the place of this deja vus in Zen?

thnks,

Hello,

This study reviews possible causes and the latest literature.

Episodes of déjà vu may be closely related to how memory is stored in the brain. Retention of long-term memories, events and facts are stored in the temporal lobes, and, specific parts of the temporal lobe are also integral for the detection of familiarity, and the recognition of certain events. The takeaway: The temporal lobe is where you make and store your memories.

While déjà vu's connection to the temporal lobe and memory retention is still relatively unknown, clues about the condition were derived from people who suffer from temporal lobe epilepsy (a condition in which nerve cell activity in the brain is disturbed -- causing seizures). Findings suggest that déjà vu events may be caused by an electrical malfunction in the brain.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 113530.htm

I would say that when having Deja Vu and repeating a moment ... just be in the moment AGAIN!

Gassho, J SatToday

Hello,

This study reviews possible causes and the latest literature.

Episodes of déjà vu may be closely related to how memory is stored in the brain. Retention of long-term memories, events and facts are stored in the temporal lobes, and, specific parts of the temporal lobe are also integral for the detection of familiarity, and the recognition of certain events. The takeaway: The temporal lobe is where you make and store your memories.

While déjà vu's connection to the temporal lobe and memory retention is still relatively unknown, clues about the condition were derived from people who suffer from temporal lobe epilepsy (a condition in which nerve cell activity in the brain is disturbed -- causing seizures). Findings suggest that déjà vu events may be caused by an electrical malfunction in the brain.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 113530.htm

I would say that when having Deja Vu and repeating a moment ... just be in the moment AGAIN!

Gassho, J SatToday
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby organizational on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 am

:Namaste:
jundo
Follow White
organizational

Postby organizational on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 am

I forgot this for you lobster;

New Year's kite--
out of green leaves
then back in

issa
Follow White
organizational

Postby lobster on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 pm

organizational wrote:I forgot this for you lobster;

New Year's kite--
out of green leaves
then back in

issa

:)

Many thanks :heya:

I have a clearer idea of what you are doing. :)X

It is a focus?

A lot of Buddhists 'return to the breath' as 'the white' might not be present in the dark.
Green works as a colour choice. I see green as a personification of Green Tara Bodhisattva when doing her practice. She also has a white form popular in Mongolia.

Thanks again :heya:

:O:
lobster

Postby organizational on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello lobster,

Zen is much like aikido.

If you think about the philosophy.

About following white method:

No need to focus nor any need for other colors.Of course they may give you some idea.

But it (method) rely on similtaneous happening.and momentary

match.

This will make you to find the reality.

If you become this reality (As this is much more hard as that's what we are trying for) you will have find the truth.

don't forget: becoming reality is finding the truth!

I don't know any further level in Zen.

however I am at Stage 1 according to ten bulls
Follow White
organizational

Next

Return to Zen Buddhism