Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:48 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism

Letting go of the ego

Discussions of Zen Buddhism in all shapes and sizes.

Re: Letting go of the ego

Postby littletsu on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:42 pm

From Yogi Chen's website:

"Buddhist philosophy gradually developed into four right views. The first is the Causation of Karma upon which Hinayana is based. Hinayana emphasizes impermanence and renunciation and lays most stress on the law of cause and effect, the non-egoism of personality."

This is probably a translation from Chinese, but I like the way it is put ("non-egoism").
Perhaps this 4-fold approach could shed some light on why some Zen teachers will talk about ego, and some won't at all (that is, some of them will rely more on Hinayana doctrines).
Non-egoism for me would not entail some conscious effort to "destroy" an ego, but rather an "ego-aware" work-around it, "not buying into it" (close to what Michael pointed out).

http://www.yogichen.org/cw/cw27/bk015.html

By the way, I wonder what kind of concepts and ideas they had in medieval China that can be more or less equated with what we understand as ego. Which is quite a modern idea, if I am not mistaken. Did it not start with Freud?
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby macdougdoug on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:58 pm

If I decide I want to destroy the ego, obviously I am on some sort of conflictual/psychotic ego trip.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Herbie wrote:I have looked and I have looked but cannot find an ego :lol2:

Yet without it those very words couldn't manifest.

If I decide I want to destroy the ego, obviously I am on some sort of conflictual/psychotic ego trip.

Funny thing is that many post in this thread point to the same thing regarding "letting go of ego" but in different words/expressions, which is creativity, which is also known as "ego". When there's no attachment there's also not the struggle of grasping and turning away.
Anyways it's humorous to observe how everyone wants to express their version or interpretation of it, eventhough we're aware it's already been said. But just like musicians they don't stop composing and playing or creating remixes.
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby Herbie on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:08 pm

fukasetsu wrote:
Herbie wrote:I have looked and I have looked but cannot find an ego :lol2:

Yet without it those very words couldn't manifest.

I am typing with fingers not with ego. :PP:
Although we don't know anything, let's make words! Words are inspiring.
Herbie

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:32 pm

H.,
That's what YOU think! :lol2: :heya: :dance: :)X

--Joe

Herbie wrote:I am typing with fingers not with ego.
desert_woodworker

Postby Herbie on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:13 am

desert_woodworker wrote:H.,
That's what YOU think! :lol2: :heya: :dance: :)X

--Joe

Herbie wrote:I am typing with fingers not with ego.

And that is your linguistic epxression of an idea that your brain produces habitually when your eyes see my linguistic signs in which there does not inhere any meaning.

Didn't your teachers teach you to differentiate between your ideas/thoughts that you can know and ideas/thoughts of others that you cannot know? :PP:

So the appropriate expression you may want to apply is:
"Seeing your written linguistic signs I think I know what you think although I cannot know."
Herbie

Postby fukasetsu on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 am

1-5-funny-stuff-123.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Herbie,

Ha, "Take an 'IKE, Mike"!

Glad your sense of humor is intact, if not in touch.

Feller who says he needs no teacher is now trying to TEACH! I suggest you sit quietly on those buttocks you claim you have, instead, when it comes to your teacherly urges, and keep those non-egoist fingers off the keyboard.

bye,

--Joe

Herbie wrote:And that is your linguistic epxression of an idea that your brain produces habitually when your eyes see my linguistic signs in which there does not inhere any meaning.
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Hee hee I have been biting my tongue wondering who would break first so I need not myself. Sorry for the cop-out :)
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Michael,

:tongueincheek: :lol2:

--Joe

("I'm sorry, Captain; I instinctively used the Vulcan death-grip")

ps (actually, you gave good advice, earlier on; unfortunately, ignored).

Michaeljc wrote:Hee hee I have been biting my tongue wondering who would break first so I need not myself. Sorry for the cop-out
desert_woodworker

Postby Herbie on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Herbie,

Ha, "Take an 'IKE, Mike"!

Glad your sense of humor is intact, if not in touch.

Huh?

desert_woodworker wrote:Feller who says he needs no teacher is now trying to TEACH!

Who is Feller?

desert_woodworker wrote:I suggest you sit quietly on those buttocks you claim you have, instead, when it comes to your teacherly urges,...

Ah, look obviously you are learning from my words at least. :lol2:

desert_woodworker wrote: and keep those non-egoist fingers off the keyboard.

Fingers are neither non-egoist nor egoist. Why? Because the term "ego" is a linguistic ghost. Nothing corresponds.
Herbie

Postby littletsu on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Herbie: the only difference between you and everyone else on this forum is that you think you are not welcome (why you still linger around inspite of this and launch snot-rockets all over the place is a mystery, though), while everyone else actually thinks (may not feel so all the time) that you are.
合うは別れの始めだ。
有燈就有人。
littletsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:35 am

H.,

Herbie wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:Feller who says he needs no teacher is now trying to TEACH!

Who is Feller?

Point well taken.

Indeed, this is an International forum.

You may not know the American (USA) idiom, nor this American-English dialect (some overlap with UK, and Commonwealth countries, surely, though).

Feller is not a Logger, nor Lumber-Jack in our Pacific Northwest -- Oregon-Washington states -- in my usage here. Just a fellow.

Or I may have committed a different, or other, oversight: your screen-name may indeed be just a ruse (surely purely innocent). I may have the wrong notion. Alright, then, so not a feller. A gal (again, just slang, and no slight: how could it be?).

Google, if you need to.

Howdy,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby partofit22 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:58 am

I met fellers down south and fellas up north .. :)
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:22 am

P.,

Yeppers.

I "met" gals up north, and señoritas 'neath the Equator. Howdy, --Joe

partofit22 wrote:I met fellers down south and fellas up north .. :)
desert_woodworker

Postby Avisitor on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:13 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Feller who says he needs no teacher is now trying to TEACH! I suggest you sit quietly on those buttocks you claim you have, instead, when it comes to your teacherly urges, and keep those non-egoist fingers off the keyboard.

I have seen some who need to regurgitate what they have learned cause they have not truly learned
It isn't a matter of practice what one preaches ... more that one doesn't know better and thus go on and on about something

Wait, am I going on and on about something??? ... ooops
Time to shut up and sit on that cushion again :tee:
Avisitor

Postby Linda Anderson on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:21 am

perhaps you've digest it AV... nobody can say :rbow:
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 am

Just breathe, any time after a previous breath, and keep on keeping on (that way). You're fine. No need doing penance. Pls. don't. --Joe

Avisitor wrote:Time to shut up and sit on that cushion again :tee:
desert_woodworker

Postby Chrisd on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:35 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:Just breathe, any time after a previous breath, and keep on keeping on (that way). You're fine. No need doing penance. Pls. don't. --Joe

Avisitor wrote:Time to shut up and sit on that cushion again :tee:

On the other hand, being sorry and repenting in whatever small way is possible is a way of giving and opening up from your prev. position so you're free to move forward again. From your bro Sheng Yen:

http://chancenter.org/cmc/2013/06/14/th ... sheng-yen/

And :PP:

If you'll excuse me :lol2: on the other thread about merit I touched on the cultural influence to practice forms. Asia is more community focused and Westerners inividualistic. Look at how the editors of the vid posted this at the end:
"One who has a sense of shame is humble. One who is repentant has the courage to take responsibility. This type of person is definitely well-liked."

If it was American it would have been: "this type of person is bound to be succesful!" :lol2:
Chrisd

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Chris, forgive my indulgence.

Words are expedients, they arise dependent on certain conditions and circumstances and have a correct function in those situations.
So they change according to the needs of sentient beings. But if you take them from elsewhere to here-where in a comparitive (asjemenou?)
modus it has no function (apart for the one of you know who) I wouldn't say your intellectually inclined so much (from another topic I think), but just put any word or concept in a frame and nail it on your kitchen wall... in my kitchen goose, cats and landscape are just pictures of goose, cats and landscapes, nothing locked up in a picture, they're all free. :)

2015-03-17 14.48.05.jpg

2015-03-17 14.49.05.jpg

:PP:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fukasetsu

PreviousNext

Return to Zen Buddhism