Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:38 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Practicing Zen Buddhism Without a Teacher

why begin meditation?

A place to share and discuss the practice of Zen Buddhism without teachers. Debates about whether practicing without teachers is possible or desirable are not appropriate here, nor are criticisms of Zen Buddhist practice with teachers.
Forum rules
A place to share and discuss the practice of Zen Buddhism without teachers. Debates about whether practising without teachers is possible or desirable are not appropriate here, nor are criticisms of Zen Buddhist practice with teachers.

Re: why begin meditation?

Postby chankin1937 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:51 pm

klqv wrote: naturally, i feel some resonance with buddhism - or i wouldn't have made 5000 posts here but,,, what good does formal meditation with a teacher do other people, that cannot be established through something like mindfulness?
this is probably why i have never started: i don't understand how enlightenment / meditation can act in the world.

Hello klqv,
We meditate to reacquaint ourselves with the common human goal, profound peace-of-mind.
Zen embodies the psychology of happiness in creatures with our sort of central nervous system in order to free us from the tyranny of incessant thinking. The explanation why this is true follows:
1/ Solving problems and satisfying appetites demands efficient use of conscious mental activity – all thinking - (CMA) We must think to survive.
2/ Once our problems are solved etc. CMA has completed its invaluable role and (ideally) we abstain from further using it, for the time being. Let it go.
3/ Simultaneously once our problems are solved etc. we feel content, at peace, happy.
4/ From 2/ and 3/ it becomes apparent that a reduction in CMA actually produces that feeling of happiness.
5/ It follows that practicing abstaining from CMA will produce higher and higher degrees of the feeling .
6/Even in our daily life we must confine CMA to its specific role to get our just and proper reward for our successful actions

When the Buddha said:
Nirvana is the extinction of dukkha,
he meant:
Profound peace of mind is accessible once obsessive thinking (random and habitual CMA) is abandoned

The enlightened man realises that the common human goal is not wealth, fame or power , but peace -of-mind. His motivation is to act towards that end, not towards the other inherently destructive false goals- to the benefit of humanity. He works to spread that message.
Colin
chankin1937

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Luke (kqlv),

chankin1937 wrote:We meditate to reacquaint ourselves with the common human goal, profound peace-of-mind.

Speaking-for-himself, he means, Luke.
Luke, don't buy in to the "common", etc. It's a claim made in the dark (as you can perhaps "see"). :Namaste:

Luke, I hope you're well! Take good care.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Coffee Bean on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:48 am

I started because I felt I'd give it a try.

See what the deal is.

Noticed even the first time sitting down how much noise and chatter erupted while trying to stay still with body and mind, and figured it was worth continuing until things subside. If meditation proves an easier go, then it follows life and living will too.
Coffee Bean

Postby TTT on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 am

Coffee Bean wrote:I started because I felt I'd give it a try.

See what the deal is.

Noticed even the first time sitting down how much noise and chatter erupted while trying to stay still with body and mind, and figured it was worth continuing until things subside. If meditation proves an easier go, then it follows life and living will too.

Yeah, and its not bouned to eny religion.
Spring time
TTT

Postby TTT on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:19 am

klqv wrote:i'm not seeing "insight" though, not inherently but as a means for something else.

my new sig is why i am going to practice tonight :Namaste:

This is allso a good point why one wuld meditate.
No insight, just do it!
Buddha mind, go and sitt

Ps. It became a small haiku.
Spring time
TTT

Previous

Return to Practicing Zen Buddhism Without a Teacher