Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Practicing Zen Buddhism Without a Teacher

I wonder if anyone can answer this

A place to share and discuss the practice of Zen Buddhism without teachers. Debates about whether practicing without teachers is possible or desirable are not appropriate here, nor are criticisms of Zen Buddhist practice with teachers.
Forum rules
A place to share and discuss the practice of Zen Buddhism without teachers. Debates about whether practising without teachers is possible or desirable are not appropriate here, nor are criticisms of Zen Buddhist practice with teachers.

Re: I wonder if anyone can answer this

Postby Jok_Hae on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Sleepy Wanderer wrote:Thank you all for answering. I practice zazen most mornings and sometimes evenings and/or afternoons as well. I love this practice and it continues to have a profound influence on my life. I also find myself bringing this meditativeness with me throughout the day, into all kinds of situations.

However I am not exactly a monk, I'm young and foolish, and fall in love and make music and go to parties and whatnot, and I'm loving this for now, even though or perhaps because I realize the voidness of it.

Maybe I will find a teacher some day, if I can find one who has nothing to teach and doesn't charge money for it. But right now all of my friends, the people I meet, the flowers I smell and even cold winds and blows to the stomach are my teachers and my sangha, and I don't know what more or what special things an 'actual' teacher could teach me. But if someone else knows, please tell me.

PS please don't take me too seriously :Namaste:

A teacher will help..but for the time being, as an old friend would say from time to time: "just practice and see what happens"

Your question reminded me of this:

Soen-sa replied, “You want this question to grow. This mind is not good. This is attachment thinking. You must cut off this thinking, and only do hard training. It is not important for the question to grow. What is important is one moment of clear mind. Clear mind is before thinking. If you experience this mind, you have already attained enlightenment. If you experience this for a short time, even for one moment, this is enlightenment. All the rest of the time you may be thinking, but you shouldn’t worry about this thinking. It is just your karma. You must not be attached to this thinking. You must not force it to stop or force clear mind to grow. It will grow by itself, as your karma gradually disappears.”

good luck and thanks for practicing!
Keith
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby lobster on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:43 am

Sleepy Wanderer wrote:However I am not exactly a monk, I'm young and foolish, and fall in love and make music and go to parties and whatnot, and I'm loving this for now, even though or perhaps because I realize the voidness of it.

Maybe I will find a teacher some day, if I can find one who has nothing to teach and doesn't charge money for it. But right now all of my friends, the people I meet, the flowers I smell and even cold winds and blows to the stomach are my teachers and my sangha, and I don't know what more or what special things an 'actual' teacher could teach me. But if someone else knows, please tell me.

:heya:

Sounds about right. When we are young we follow our dreaming. Dreams teach us we are asleep.

What a teacher will provide is the dream of awakening. When we are not ready, we say 'why is the dream preferred?'

You have learned to ask the question, which means you might be prepared for the answer. Go on a retreat before your mind blows away your stomach for . . . z z z . . . sorry fell asleep with the fragrance of a flower . . . :hide:
lobster

Postby Quiet Heart on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:30 am

:p:

I caught myself thinking, promising to myself "Ah, yes. Tomorrow will be a fresh new day. Tomorrow I will really bring my mind to the present moment." What could possibly be keeping me from doing it right now?
Sleepy Wanderer Posts: 21Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 pm

-----------------------------------
Living in the moment is not some thing you can just find.....it is something you have to work to get...perhaps nott olearn
In Quietness is the beginning of all Things
Quiet Heart

Postby desert_woodworker on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:14 am

Sleepy Wanderer wrote: What could possibly be keeping me from doing it right now?

You know better than any Beings in this wide Universe.

Don't let Them all down, though.

--Joe

Hubble_gravitational_lensing_image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Guo Gu on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:15 am

Sleepy Wanderer wrote:I caught myself thinking, promising to myself "Ah, yes. Tomorrow will be a fresh new day. Tomorrow I will really bring my mind to the present moment." What could possibly be keeping me from doing it right now?

sleepy and wander.
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Postby organizational on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:57 pm

qu'est-ce que c'est (French)
Follow White
organizational

Previous

Return to Practicing Zen Buddhism Without a Teacher