Welcome admin !

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:47 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Beginners Questions Forum

Books on Zen

For beginners there is no such thing as a bad question. Feel free to ask any and all questions here. Member's responses should be made within the "beginner's mind" perspective.

Re: Books on Zen

Postby clyde on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:38 am

I’m also looking forward to Norman’s book and to attending a Day Long Workshop based on his book he’s leading on Saturday, March 30, at the Sacramento Buddhist Meditation Group (SBMG: http://www.sbmg.org/).
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

DO NO HARM
clyde

Postby clyde on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:46 am

Offered without comment: The Dude and the Zen Master

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-j ... ff-bridges
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

DO NO HARM
clyde

Postby Pedestrian on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:22 pm

That book looks very interesting. Thanks for mentioning it, Clyde. Just ordered it!
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby Carol on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Pedestrian wrote:That book looks very interesting. Thanks for mentioning it, Clyde. Just ordered it!

If you're talking about Norm Fisher's new book ... I'm looking forward to it, too. Our sangha has spent the past several months reading Pema Chodron's book on Lojong Mind Training and discussing it one week each month. Very helpful stuff.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby Pedestrian on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Yes, that's the book I meant. I snooped around the Amazon preview and got hooked -- been thinking about it ever since.
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby ed blanco on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 pm

unsui wrote:
Pedestrian wrote:I have been steeping in Red Pine translations lately: I've read his versions of the Diamond Sutra, Hui-neng's Platform Sutra, and the Heart Sutra over the last several weeks, and I've got my sleeves rolled up for the Lankavatara Sutra currently.

Of course, the aforementioned sutras are at the core of the Mahayana textual legacy, and there are a lot of digital trees dead and/or waiting to die concerning matters of sutra translation between Pine, Cleary, Suzuki, et al. I'm here to recommend his annotations to various phrases, lines, and chapters. They range from historical and biographical information to subtle readings of the text, and several of them are remarkable mini-essays on their own that have been indispensable to my practice.

Red Pine opened my heart to the Heart Sutra after years of reciting it. I can remember the very moment!

But I haven't read his commentaries to the other sutras. I think I'm lazy. My study of the sutras often happens when we begin to translate them to Danish and then hold courses on them. And because of one of Gregory's comments a few weeks back, I swallowed quite a bit more of the Lankavatara.

I'm a Red Pine fanatic as well. His ZEN BAGGAGE is a delight. He uses a relax style and on the second reading after a year or so it feels like a personal tale told for me.

Other than that I keep reading the Cleary boys ad nauseum, can't even help learning some.

Peace. :O:
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby Pedestrian on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 pm

I'm really compelled by Norman Fischer's Training in Compassion: Zen Teachings on Lojong. I really enjoy his podcasts, like his speaking style, and this the first book of his I've read. Clyde, have you started it yet?

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby clyde on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:04 am

Norman’s a wonderful teacher; at least I resonate with his approach and style. I’ve listened to many of his podcasts and sat with his group a half dozen times. He has a strong sangha with some very senior students, some of whom are lay ordained and sometimes give talks.

But I’m waiting for Norman to visit Sacramento in March and plan on purchasing the book directly from him . . . and get his autograph :)

DO NO HARM
clyde

Postby Pedestrian on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 pm

That makes sense. When you do see him, please pass along my gratitude for his work!

Are there other books of his that you have read and would recommend?

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Pedestrian wrote:I'm really compelled by Norman Fischer's Training in Compassion: Zen Teachings on Lojong. I really enjoy his podcasts, like his speaking style, and this the first book of his I've read. Clyde, have you started it yet?

clyde wrote:But I’m waiting for Norman to visit Sacramento in March and plan on purchasing the book directly from him . . . and get his autograph :)

I got mine on Thursday before his talk at Book Passage in Corte Madera. I immediately started writing notes in the margins during the reading.

One thing interesting in his reading is that he didn't read verbatim like some authors do. He actually changed the wording just a little to make the reading more conversational as he spoke. Hard to describe exactly how but it was the prepositions, pronouns, and such that were slightly changed while the made points of the sentence remained the same.

I was intrigued by the distinctions he drew between empathy, sympathy, compassion and metta. Also, he made a good point about how people react to hearing about the slogans by thinking that training with slogans is somehow artificial. He said that if we look, we are always training ourselves with repetition of slogans, only the slogans are usually negative ones like "I'm right and you're wrong" or "there's nothing I can do", etc. The training in compassion is the training to be aware of how we use any slogan and these slogans are ways to train, like using an exercise bike or treadmill, to exercise our sloganeering habits in compassionate ways.

He is always interested in audience participation and opened the talk by asking the audience to turn to each other and introduce orselves and say something very brief about what led us to come to a talk about compassion and something about a pet that we have or had.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby clyde on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Although I’ve listened to maybe 100 of his podcasts and read a number of his published articles, I haven’t read any of Norman’s books. One of the first podcasts I heard was his talk on Sailing Home: Using Homer’s Odyssey to Navigate Life’s Perils and Pitfalls which you can hear here: http://www.everydayzen.org/index.php?It ... io-668-449 .

And as Gregory noted, one can hear how he engages with his audience.

DO NO HARM
clyde

Postby sinewaves on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:37 pm

I was given two books on Chan - Hoofprints of the Ox, and The Method of No-Method. Would a beginner be more recommended to study Chinese Zen, as opposed to Japanese, or is it of no difference, as it is still zen?
sinewaves

Postby Basaltic on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:37 am

Has anyone read A Guide to Zen: Lessons from a Modern Master by Katsuki Sekida? And if so, in the reader's opinion, how useful is it in developing zen practice?
Basaltic

Postby Shunyata on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:42 am

One of my all time favorites is "Zen Speaks : Shouts of Nothingness", by Chung, Tsai Chih.

In my search for a convenient link I came across the animated version of the book on Youtube. It begins at the 1:30 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbelxg-uoTU
Shunyata

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions Forum