Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Beginners Questions Forum

Books on Zen

For beginners there is no such thing as a bad question. Feel free to ask any and all questions here. Member's responses should be made within the "beginner's mind" perspective.

Books on Zen

Postby zenfascist on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm

What are some good books on Zen? I am going to the library today and am wondering.
zenfascist

Re: Books on Zen

Postby island on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Zen Canon
Zen Classics

The World of Zen
The way is to get out of the way of the way.
island

Postby Dan74 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:26 pm

More accessible perhaps are:

Zen Mind, Beginners Mind by Shinryu Suzuki
Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck
The Zen Way by Myokyo-Ni
Chan and Zen Teachings Vol 1 translated by Charles Luk.
Hoofprints of the Ox by Sheng-Yen

_/|\_
Dan74

Postby PeterB on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Yes, the Zen Way and also Gentling The Bull, by Myokyo-Ni ( who incidentally was Shoey's teacher )
PeterB

Postby Jundo Cohen on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:02 am

Oh, well, for beginners in Soto practice (and we are always all beginners) ... I recommend anything marked with ** on this list:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889

You can pretty much read right down the list.

As the other thread here has made clear ...

viewtopic.php?p=27414#p27414

... our way is not about study, words and letters ... but it is often lost without appropriate study to provide form and direction to formless, aimless practice.

Gassho, Jundo
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA AZTA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen (www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=17) & all of a Soto Sangha (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
Jundo Cohen

Postby Carol on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:44 am

Here is a comprehensive reading list from the Zen Mountain Monastery training program.

Mountains & Rivers Order Recommended Readingn List

Several years' worth of reading ... broken up into stages and sections.

:Namaste:
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby sweepingzen on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Here are the recommendations from various Zen teachers I have interviewed:

http://www.sweepingzen.com/Zen_Book_Recommendations.html
sweepingzen

Postby Carol on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 am

Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby Nonin on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 pm

Here's the Suggested Reading page from our temple website: http://www.prairiewindzen.org/suggested_reading.html

Hands palm-to-palm,

Nonin
Soto Zen Buddhist Priest. Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin Katagiri Roshi.
Abbot and Head Teacher, Nebraska Zen Center / Heartland Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
http://www.prairiewindzen.org
Nonin
Teacher

Postby fukasetsu on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:35 pm

zenfascist wrote:What are some good books on Zen? I am going to the library today and am wondering.

Compass of zen by Seung Sahn.
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby adinarda86 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:11 pm

hello

i am lookin for a book that contains a good slice of the literature of zen-containing the more famous sutras, koans, and other important writings by historical zen philosophers.

thanks for the help
adinarda86

Postby So-on Mann on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:36 am

Andy Ferguson has a book about the Zen ancestors in China, called "Zen’s Chinese Heritage: The Masters & Their Teachings." It is chock full of stories from the ancient masters, as well as biographical information. Plus it comes with this nifty poster with a chart of all their lineages.

It doesn't contain full works by the masters, because Ferguson includes so many, the chapters are short. But it allows you to put their teachings in perspective over time, and helps you associate which teachings with which teachers.

I LOVE that book, it's one of my favorites.
Facing a precious mirror, form and reflection behold each other. You are not it, but in truth it is you.
So-on Mann

Postby Choanou on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:54 am

Is there also music that could help you practicing Zazen ?I have heard about this often, meditation sounds. How does that work?
Choanou

Postby lazeplace on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:04 pm

How does it work? I can only speak of my own experience, but, this flow of becoming I think of as me is at times so caught up in appearances that by focusing on only eye consciousness or ear consciousness etc. I can at least slow the flow and it becomes easier to begin meditation. For example where I live we have a hill that is a great place to watch the sunset. Now if I go and sit beginning at the last moments when day fades into night I watch as eye consciousness peaks and then as darkness takes over I notice that my ear consciousness becomes dominate, other thoughts loose their grip and I go deeper into less and less of me and all that that might imply. So, what works musically for you is for your discovery, and it may surprise you .Tell us all what you find. I was surprised to find a work marketed under the title of "Calming Massage", which looking at the title sounded kinda cheesy and new age to be exellent listening.
Gassho
Larry
lazeplace

Postby Just Dave on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:40 pm

I have just finished a wonderful book that I know I will be returning to.

'Buddhism From Within' by Rev. Daizui MacPhillamy, an 'Intuitive Introduction to Buddhism'

This book is written in such a unique way.

Would recommend it to anyone.
Just Dave

Postby bayamo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:14 pm

sit down and shut up, by brad warner
the miracle of mindfullness, by thich nhat hanh
where is the invisible hand when it is needed to deliver a good smack!?!?
bayamo

Books:thank you and ok!:an american zen failure in japan

Postby partofit22 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:20 pm

i think this book is good for any beginner to read who wishes to remain a beginner- the tone in which it's written is respectful regarding zen practice but dispels the myth that monastic life is all it's cracked up to be by revealing the comical side of its irrationalities, how monks are human too and bump their bald heads in more ways than one and that those who decide to neither follow or lead are attempting to travel a path that's been beaten and branched over the centuries by others who sought to improve buddha's original teachings-

although the book has a very masculine voice and reads like a perpetual coming of age story about a man who seems to wish he'll never grow old he does get around to peeling back his superior veneer to reveal, like the title of his book implies, that he too is a failure like every other archer who misses the mark when enlightenment arrives because they're aiming at some pie in the sky idea of life-
partofit22

Postby mel on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 am

Greetings

I like Shunryu Zuzuki's book ZEN MIND BEGINNERS MIND. There were other works by other authors(DT Zuzuki, Taisen Deshimaru, Thomas Leary, etc) I've come across, but I have a personal preference for this particular book and author

Mel
mel

Postby hungryghost on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Not to be a huge jerk, but Thomas Leary has absolutely nothing to do with real zen practice. If your going to read him, regard it as a part of history. His LSD experiments were a spiritual failure. Some of those people found zen and other legitimate traditions. Far more of them fried their brains and never quite came back.
Just some clarification.
hungryghost
Global Moderator

Postby AlasdairGF on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:50 pm

I wonder if you're both referring to Thomas Cleary & Timothy Leary?!
StoneWater Zen in Northampton, UK - zeNN1 @ swz-northampton.blogspot.co.uk
AlasdairGF

Next

Return to Beginners Questions Forum