Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Beginners Questions Forum

Feng shui / geomancy in Buddhism

For beginners there is no such thing as a bad question. Feel free to ask any and all questions here. Member's responses should be made within the "beginner's mind" perspective.

Feng shui / geomancy in Buddhism

Postby TigerDuck on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:47 pm

I would like to ask what is the influence of Feng shui in Buddhist history?

Did Buddha ever mention anything regarding geomancy?

Let's say when someone build a temple, did they consider facing this, facing that, this shaped that shape, etc.?

Through nonconceptuality, he is immovable.

[Nagarjuna]
TigerDuck

Re: Feng shui / geomancy in Buddhism

Postby desert_woodworker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm

My Ch'an master always ridiculed it.

He'd joke about positions in the Ch'an Hall that practitioners adopted as their sitting place on intensive seven-day Ch'an retreats, and sometimes chide students about this, by bringing up "Wind and Water" ("feng-shui").

On the other hand, I had a Taoist master in New York City who taught me tai chi chuan (the late Da Liu [1902-2000] ) who was known and respected also as a geomancer. He had a beautiful tai chi compass instrument, and was occasionally called on as a consultant in the selection of placement and orientation of a new temple on the land, especially in out-of-town places like Upstate New York.

Below is a pic I found on the 'net showing a typical tai chi compass used by geomancers, very similar to that of Master Da Liu's. --Joe

five_inch_Taoist_compass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Caodemarte on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:23 pm

A major consideration in positioning big Korean Buddhist temples was getting a good view; isolation was a big factor in positioning hermitages (and a good view!). I don't know what, if any, role geomancy plays

Geomancy, probably more from Taoist and Confucian influences was an important factor in Korean state affairs. It is allegedly why Pyongyang was chosen as the capital of one dynasty.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby Larry on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm

I went to a Kwan Um sangha meeting in Hong Kong about 30 years ago when Seungsahn was visiting. Someone asked him about using fung shui for temple location and layout. He essentially responded that he would visit a site and intuitively make the right decisions.
Larry

Return to Beginners Questions Forum