Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:43 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Beginners Questions Forum

Can Zen and Pc Work/Videogames/Movies go togheter?

For beginners there is no such thing as a bad question. Feel free to ask any and all questions here. Member's responses should be made within the "beginner's mind" perspective.

Can Zen and Pc Work/Videogames/Movies go togheter?

Postby ZumoDeGuayaba on Thu May 26, 2016 10:55 am

Good day, i know this is kind of a ridicolous question, but i guess it applies to movies, tv aswell. In this era where we're distracted as much as possible by everthing. So it's actually a pretty serious question. Alot people work on pc's.
The problem with these things is that when you do them, you work with them, they suck you in for the time being. A great movie, a great videogame, work. It doesn't really matter, but you end up being totally unpresent for sometime. Do you people think it's an actual hindrance to Zen practice? For the work side of things i have read by different masters that they reccomend physical labour, to be present, be with the flow.

How do you personally view any prolonged activity that makes you unaware? If done on a regular basis?
Playing videogames for enjoyment, watching tv shows/series ect. ect. ect...?

Just out of Curiosity,

Lovingly

Zumo
ZumoDeGuayaba

Re: Can Zen and Pc Work/Videogames/Movies go togheter?

Postby Frog on Thu May 26, 2016 11:23 am

ZumoDeGuayaba wrote:How do you personally view any prolonged activity that makes you unaware?

Does it cover awareness? Shouldn't there be awareness for that activity to take place and isn't that everyday ordinary awareness always the case?

Anyway, for many people different activities (including thinking) is a way to escape underlying emotions. So if playing videogames is a way to fulfill a sense of lack for example then it's better to sit with the feelings and sensations rather than to escape into an activity. But if playing games is joyful and truly enjoyable then I don't see why make such a problem out of it. When there's joy/ease of being in present experience (any activity or non-activity) it's an indicator that the imaginary "thinker in the head" is not spinning its meaningless stories and suffering its fears and hopes.
Frog

Postby Seeker242 on Thu May 26, 2016 11:34 am

ZumoDeGuayaba wrote:Playing videogames for enjoyment, watching tv shows/series ect. ect. ect...? Do you people think it's an actual hindrance to Zen practice?

If you play video games or watch TV, instead of doing meditation practice, then most definitely!
Kill a cat, with a dried shit stick, under a cypress tree in the courtyard, while eating three pounds of flax! Only a cow goes Moooo!
Seeker242

Postby Nothing on Thu May 26, 2016 12:18 pm

ZumoDeGuayaba wrote:Good day, i know this is kind of a ridicolous question, but i guess it applies to movies, tv aswell. In this era where we're distracted as much as possible by everthing. So it's actually a pretty serious question. Alot people work on pc's.
The problem with these things is that when you do them, you work with them, they suck you in for the time being. A great movie, a great videogame, work. It doesn't really matter, but you end up being totally unpresent for sometime. Do you people think it's an actual hindrance to Zen practice? For the work side of things i have read by different masters that they reccomend physical labour, to be present, be with the flow.

How do you personally view any prolonged activity that makes you unaware? If done on a regular basis?

Just out of Curiosity,

Lovingly

Zumo

Hi Zumo :heya:

For the one who have seen, it is not problem in what activity one is involved, but for the rest of us who are conditioned, ignorant, all those activities you mentioned can be a huge distraction and hindrance to realize our true nature.
And at the same time they can be good way to work with our vexations by observing them when they arise, although that can be hard in the beginning and requires a lot of effort to bring the attention back, because the habit energy, tendencies are too strong so more or less we will be on auto pilot when engaged in those activities, because they are very easy way to escape from what is which is reality and direct our attention "outside". So in my experience I think in the begging is good to try to minimize the entertainment in which we want to indulge and instead spend more time in nature and meditation.

And if the activities you do are not a means to escape from what is, (although it demands a lot of honesty to see if the activity is way of escaping from what is, which most of the time it is or there is genuine enjoyment) but you really enjoyed them, then just try to be mindful as much as possible, same applies to work activities, like work in front of pc as you mentioned and when it comes to work activities especially if we do not like the work we are doing, by being mindful we can see how our afflictions come on the surface, which is great practice and we can make progress, both on the cushion and in daily life. :)

Viktor
"There is no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end" - James Hutton
Nothing

Re: Can Zen and Pc Work/Videogames/Movies go together?

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu May 26, 2016 3:58 pm

It's good to dedicate time for zazen, and other practice, learned in-person from a true Zen Buddhist teacher with a real lineage and an engaged sangha.

We all do other things each day besides explicit practice, yes, of course: work; housework; attending to family and friends; etc. I think that when a person is mature in Zen Buddhist practice, there is no difference between practice and daily-life.

A lot of dedicated and correct practice precedes (and follows) that stage.

An admonition or caution from Dogen Zenji is often spoken in places where Zen Buddhism is practiced together:

"Let me respectfully remind you:
Life and Death are of supreme importance.
Time quickly passes away, and opportunity is LOST.
Each of us should strive to awaken, AWAKEN:
take heed, do not squander this [precious, Human-] life."

In other words, life is short. It is important to awaken, because only then can we see what this life truly IS, and how we should live it.

Everything else, in the meantime, is a risky distraction.

We do not know if we will have any "tomorrow".

Another admonition proceeds:

"Work as if your hair were aflame!"

best,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby macdougdoug on Thu May 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Chop wood, carry water; or as they say these days: Enter data, kill zombies. Or drive car, wash dishes.

Just don't be confused by your ideas of good or bad - As for daydreaming whilst playing video games, watching TV or driving, the universe will remind you of your lack of awareness and efficiency.

Of course if you decide to watch TV during zazen...
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Re: Can Zen and Pc Work/Videogames/Movies go together?

Postby Avisitor on Fri May 27, 2016 2:26 am

desert_woodworker wrote:It's good to dedicate time for zazen, and other practice, learned in-person from a true Zen Buddhist teacher with a real lineage and an engaged sangha.

We all do other things each day besides explicit practice, yes, of course: work; housework; attending to family and friends; etc. I think that when a person is mature in Zen Buddhist practice, there is no difference between practice and daily-life.

--Joe

That sounds like a good answer.
Develop a good solid practice
And the practice will grow into the other parts of one's life
So much that there is no difference between practice and daily life

Thanks Joe
:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Note: Life is short
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Sorry, got a message that I was not being PC.
Avisitor

Postby partofit22 on Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 pm

ZumoDeGuayaba wrote:Good day, i know this is kind of a ridicolous question, but i guess it applies to movies, tv aswell. In this era where we're distracted as much as possible by everthing. So it's actually a pretty serious question. Alot people work on pc's.

Just out of Curiosity,

Lovingly

Zumo

I think what's being suggested by others, in a nutshell, is to pay attention- And I agree- :) Old masters didn't have video games or movies to enjoy, online forums to engage in conversation- Present day masters have their own blogs and websites -- and Youtube videos- It isn't the activity itself that makes us unaware-
partofit22

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:08 am

ZumoDeGuayaba wrote:Good day, i know this is kind of a ridicolous question,

Right so you're asking for yourself.

Ask more specifically without the "curiosity" mask, where's the issue, doubt or struggle?

Be specific to your own situation otherwise you'll get a bunch of philosophical views which are of no use to you at all.
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby TigerDuck on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Definitely can.

But only for practitioners who have seen nature of everything, which is free of anything.

Through nonconceptuality, he is immovable.

[Nagarjuna]
TigerDuck

Return to Beginners Questions Forum