Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 5:43 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

Ajahn Chah

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

Ajahn Chah

Postby Greggorious on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I was just reading a talk by Ajahn Chah, and at points he he rsounds remarkably like a Zen master. He mentioned at least 3 times 'Our original mind', I didn't think that was a Theravada concept? I also heard a story about a layman who walked into his Thai forest temple and asked what they taught there, Ajahn Chah gave him a copy of Zen mind, begginers mind. Interesting :)
Greggorious

Re: Ajahn Chah

Postby mikenz66 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 pm

The discussion over here might be helpful:
The mind by Ajahn Chah
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12817
Here's a quote from Ven Gavesako:
Gavesako wrote:Western readers see what they want to see in Ajahn Chah: this quote has been a bit "spiced up" in the English translation to sound like something out of Advaita teachings or similar (because the translators were into that). But if you read it in Thai and put it in the context of Ajahn Chah's teachings in general, there is nothing that strange about it, he is just talking about the way the mind gets conditioned to certain habits which is a normal Theravada explanation. And there are lots of references to Suttas and similes taken from Suttas all through his talks. He only came across Thai translations of some Zen masters at the end of his life.

Some of the other posts express different viewpoints...

:Namaste:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Bodom on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:29 am

Don’t be an arahant, don’t be a bodhisattva, don’t be anything at all—if you are anything at all you will suffer.” — Ajahn Chah

Yes, I Speak Zen

A visiting Zen student asked Ajahn Chah, “How old are you? Do you live here all year round?”

“I live nowhere,” he replied. “There is no place you can find me. I have no age. To have age, you must exist, and to think you exist is already a problem. Don’t make problems; then the world has none either. Don’t make a self. There’s nothing more to say.”

Perhaps the Zen student glimpsed that the heart of vipassana is no different from the heart of Zen.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books2/Ajahn ... t_Pool.htm

Ajahn Chah wasnt an "Arahant" a "Bodhisattva" or even a "Zen master" you see, he was a nobody. :)

Bodom

Postby myojo on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:36 pm

How people talk about understanding is extraordinarily similar even from teachers of different paths. Also it can be hugely different from teachers on the same path. There is no way to talk about .......... I have often thought that Ajan Chah sounded like an old Chan master. I feel that he's definitely the full ticket so however he talks about it is fine. He gives a very fine description of satori/kensho/path moment at the end of Still Forest Pool by the way.
I am a Soto Zen priest ordained by Mokuho Guy Mercier who was ordained by Taizen Deshimaru and served as Tenzo at the head temple in France for many years.
I live in London and until recently helped to run the Central London Dojo./Users/tomradcliffe/Desktop/Snapshot 2011-05-17 14-11-40.tiff
myojo

Postby Beatzen on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm

You can tell the caliber of a teacher by what their students do with the instruction.

I love reading Chah, but I think he must have been a great teacher to produce a fine monk like Ajahn Brahm.
It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an I.

Avatar is taken from the cover art for the Album "Reprieve" by Ani Difranco. It depicts the silhouette of a twisted old eucalyptus tree, half of which survived the Hiroshima bomb. It is still alive today.
Beatzen

Postby Buckwheat on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Bodom wrote:
Ajahn Chah wasnt an "Arahant" a "Bodhisattva" or even a "Zen master" you see, he was a nobody. :)

I wanna be a nobody :rbow:
Buckwheat

Postby Guo Gu on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:36 pm

ajahn chah had the work of chan master huangpo translated into thai some years ago. he was aware of writings by chan masters.
Founder and teacher of Tallahassee Chan Center of the Dharma Drum Lineage of Chan Buddhism
http://www.tallahasseechan.com/
Received inka from Master Sheng Yen (1930-2009) in 1995
Guo Gu
Teacher

Return to Theravadan Buddhism