Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

"What happens when you die" video by Ajahn Brahm

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

"What happens when you die" video by Ajahn Brahm

Postby Kim on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm

A very good and humorous video of Ajahn Brahm on the subject of dying, near death experiences and meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSoc ... ZZupDuprhU

Kim

Re: "What happens when you die" video by Ajahn Brahm

Postby Carol on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:27 am

Kim wrote:A very good and humorous video of Ajahn Brahm on the subject of dying, near death experiences and meditation:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA#p/u/23/BZZupDuprhU[/youtube]

Thanks. A very nice talk. I really appreciated what he said about taking morphine to ease the pain of dying ... not to worry about it, because you'll wake up when you die. Good advice.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby chicka-Dee on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Yes, thank you for posting this.. a very good talk!!! :ghug:
chicka-Dee

Postby Arjan Dirkse on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:02 am

What I'd like to know is if it's true that you defecate on yourself when you die.
Arjan Dirkse

Postby klqv on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 am

can i get a synopsis of the more interesting points??
God is dead!
klqv

Postby klqv on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:01 am

Kim wrote:A very good and humorous video of Ajahn Brahm on the subject of dying, near death experiences and meditation:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA#p/u/23/BZZupDuprhU[/youtube]

i watched about half of it so far... haha i'm so going to hell

;)
God is dead!
klqv

Postby A Medic on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:20 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:What I'd like to know is if it's true that you defecate on yourself when you die.

Yes it is true. All muscles relax, and bowel control is gone.
A Medic

Postby Larry on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:46 pm

klqv wrote:haha i'm so going to hell

Before or after you defecate yourself? :lol2:
Larry

Postby Arjan Dirkse on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:32 am

A Medic wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:What I'd like to know is if it's true that you defecate on yourself when you die.

Yes it is true. All muscles relax, and bowel control is gone.

Oh shit.

I don't wanna die!
Arjan Dirkse

Postby klqv on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:48 am

having worked in a hospital i would suggest that one time you shit yourself is nor your biggest worry :buddha: !
God is dead!
klqv

Postby chicka-Dee on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:18 am

When my oldest son was 5 years old, he became very fearful of death, after learning in Kindergarten about the soldiers who died in the war, as part of "Remembrance Day" (which we celebrate here every November 11). He became fearful for himself when he realized that one day he too would die, to the point he was getting hysterical about it, crying, wailing, very, very scared. I recalled going thru the same fear when I was about his age, and I wasn't sure what to tell him -- the usual explanations about "Heaven" weren't doing it for him. This was before the "spiritual" door was opened for me, before I started investigating Buddhism or any eastern teachings, before I had much of an interest in spirituality at all. He was so upset it was making me upset in empathy, and as I held him as he cried, I just wanted to make the pain stop for him, so I reached down deep for something, anything, and I ended up telling him that he wouldn't die. I kind of shocked myself when I heard the words that were escaping from my lips. And it had an immediate impact on him too, as he abruptly stopped crying and looked at me intently.

"You mean I won't die?" he asked. I was frozen in place, knowing I couldn't lie to my son, but wanting to offer him some comfort. I took a deep breath, and tried to make what I'd just said into a truth, with as much sincerity as I could muster. Without really thinking about it, the words came from the heart with a surprising confidence (I wasn't sure of the origion). I told him that his body would die, but he wouldn't. "Who you really are, the deepest you, won't ever die" I told him. This explanation appeased him, and I tucked him into bed, content and calm.

Then I sat and thought about what I'd told him.. it all sank in, and I felt very confident in what I'd said. I hadn't overtly realized it before, but this is what I truly believed. I wasn't sure why or how I "knew" this, but it seemed I truly did.

A few years later, I gazed upon my grandmother's dead body at her funeral, remembering her in life, and had the sharp knowing that "this" (body) definitely wasn't "her." Yes, it was her body, but in death her body was simply an object, to me. There was nothing "her" about it, except in appearance only. Her spirit (the essence of her) was completely absent.

There's a lot more I could say, but it all sounds so esoteric. What Ajahn Brahm shares in the video rings very true to my own experience. His message of joy is something I'd like to share.
chicka-Dee

Postby davidroberts on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:28 pm

In this video he mentions Pim van Lommel, a dutch doctor who studied NDE's in hospitals.
His findings are collected in book called "Consciousness Beyond Life"

http://www.amazon.com/Consciousness-Beyond-Life-Near-Death-Experience/dp/0061777250/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
davidroberts

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Ajahn Brahm is a Mahayana Theravadin, or a Theravada Mahayanan. Truly a Bodhisattva in ochre robes.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby dog on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Gregory Wonderwheel wrote:Ajahn Brahm is a Mahayana Theravadin, or a Theravada Mahayanan. Truly a Bodhisattva in ochre robes.

Well said!

I often watch Ajahn Brahm's videos, but I hadn't seen this one. Just saw it and I found it to be very, very special.

Thank you Kim for sharing it. :rbow:

dog
dog

Postby Tor_Hershman on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 am

Sir Paul was quite incorrect but Dylan had it nailed.....

OH! BTW we will no longer dodo do....IF.....this product comes to be
http://www.soundlift.com/band/music.php?song_id=143669
Tor_Hershman

Postby moon face buddha on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 am

It takes over an hour to say three words?

"We don't know"
Nullum Beneficium Est Impunitum
moon face buddha

Postby Greggorious on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Only guys like me and Ajahn Brahm, proper North London boys, know that happens at death :tee:
Greggorious

Return to Theravadan Buddhism