Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

Mindfulness of Breathing

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

Re: Mindfulness of Breathing

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:08 pm

el gatito - This subject emphasises for me the fact that very little information in this forum relates to different practitioner’s experiences during Zazen. Why is that? Watching the breath comes naturally to me during every sit. I never have to go seek it. Yet, I am unable to establish how common this is. A pity.
Cheers
M
Michaeljc

Postby Michaeljc on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:55 am

el gatito – today during odd free moments at work I am going to write something on this. It is so fundamentally important to those new to Zazen. It will be based on my own experience, which is going to annoy some people. Don’t care. If more would share their own experience and advice on fundamentals it could become cosmopolitan. My assumption is that I am ordinary and average. Therefore, what I have experienced may help others. See ya later
M

Edit (later) Well, I wrote it but cannot bring myslf to post it. I guess I am a bit gunshy now after getting slugged so often for expressing a novice's opinion :blush:
Michaeljc

Postby Michaeljc on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:49 pm

I think of you way down there. I expect spring has really kicked in with balmy days, bees, life and prolific growth. My heart will always lay in the Southern Hemisphere. Those fresh sea breezes, frigid Southerlies sweeping up from Antarctica, brilliant night skies and blue blue day skies. I could die nowhere else but dare not think of it too much. 3 months to go.
Michaeljc

Postby zengilnv on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 am

Michaeljc wrote:el gatito - This subject emphasises for me the fact that very little information in this forum relates to different practitioner’s experiences during Zazen. Why is that? Watching the breath comes naturally to me during every sit. I never have to go seek it. Yet, I am unable to establish how common this is. A pity.
Cheers
M

When I sat this afternoon outside, I noticed my breath with the nearby air, and then I saw some blades of grass nearby and thought that they too breathed this nearby air. Then, I looked up at some clouds floating by and smiled, and then went back to 'letting go of my thoughts'.

A few times during a 'sit' I will think about my posture and my breathing (for example, is it shallow or barely at all or quick or slow or with relaxed belly or thru my nose or mouth). If I ever have any worry of the breathing I usually just exhale and let the inhale occur. If concerns about breathing reach a annoying level, I would suggest 'breathing in saying “Let” and then exhaling saying “go”, and that is meant to say 'let go of tensions and worries and allow yourself to relax', (this was suggested by a yoga teacher once but I suspect would help in many situations).
zengilnv

Postby Bob Skank on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:42 am

On earth, with every breath I take, seven people die.
Bob
Bob Skank

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 am

Bob Skank wrote:On earth, with every breath I take, seven people die.
Bob

One day it will be 8 Bob :lol2:
Michaeljc

Return to Theravadan Buddhism