Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:04 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

How often do you think of death?

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

How often do you think of death?

Postby Seeker242 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:27 am

Wow, good video. :)

Kill a cat, with a dried shit stick, under a cypress tree in the courtyard, while eating three pounds of flax! Only a cow goes Moooo!
Seeker242

Re: How often do you think of death?

Postby PeterB on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:42 am

I havent watched the video....but in answer to the thread title , a number of times each waking hour...its what gives life perspective.
PeterB

Postby Larry on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:38 am

You slacker!......according to the video, Buddha said it should be with every breath :)

And I believe everything I see on TV :lol2:
Larry

Postby PeterB on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:45 am

I'm working on it Larry....

:Namaste:
PeterB

Postby PeterB on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:58 pm

I have just watched the video...its clear and to the point.
I have one caveat...I wish whoever produced it had trusted the material to speak for itself. A sound track of sub Samuel Barber music in order to tell us what we should be feeling is at best superfluous in my opinion...but perhaps thats just me.
Its one reason I avoid videos.
Worst of all is bloody flutes noodlin' away..

Grump over.
PeterB

Postby Bob Skank on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 pm

On the average I take fifteen breaths per minute. That's nine hundred breaths an hour, 21,000 breaths a day. Last year about 55 million human beings died, about 150,000 every day, so with every breath I take, seven people die.

Bob

[I could offer analogous figures for births, which outnumber deaths two to one, but birth is problematic to Buddhists.]
Bob Skank

Postby thewhitesquirel on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Rarely. I've always found death to be a premature symbol of impermanance. The amount of people who committ suicide on a daily basis is a good example of how impermance is what people are really afraid of rather than death.
Last edited by thewhitesquirel on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is nearness if it fails to come about despite the reduction of the longest intervals? What is nearness if it is even repelled by the restless abolition of distances? What is nearness if remoteness also remains absent? -Martin Heidegger
thewhitesquirel

Postby PeterB on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Death is not a metaphor for anything. Death is death and will come to each of us.
PeterB

Postby Kojip on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Didn't watch the video, sorry. ...Bhikkhu talks about death.

But I think about death every day, or rather thoughts of death come. Agreed it isn't a metaphor. Seeing a living breathing person, a who, turn into an it, is always mind blowing. I remember being no more than 6 years old and seeing another child get crushed (head and chest) under the front right wheel of a Volkswagon, while playing down at the curb. His mother, who was in a nearby ground floor apartment unit, came screaming out of the open patio door. Her grief and trauma were beyond words. That memory is like a demon that comes now and then, and I guess it always will be.
I hope death comes to me in a way that is not a shock to those around me, so that they can get used to the idea.
Kojip

Postby thewhitesquirel on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Oops. I've changed the word metaphor to symbol. Death is a symbol of impermenance. Obviously, not a metaphor.

...very slow today. :coffee:
What is nearness if it fails to come about despite the reduction of the longest intervals? What is nearness if it is even repelled by the restless abolition of distances? What is nearness if remoteness also remains absent? -Martin Heidegger
thewhitesquirel

Postby Luminous Heart on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:37 am

Impermanence makes life possible. Better back to metaphor.
When you learn to love hell, you will be in heaven.
~Thaddeus Golas
Luminous Heart

Postby Bob Skank on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:10 am

Peter is correct. Death is not a metaphor, not a symbol. Death does not stand for something else, it is not a sign for something else. Death is death.

Bob
Bob Skank

Postby thewhitesquirel on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:46 am

Bob Skank wrote:Death is death.

Bob

What? Back the tautology up, Mr. Skank! Figuratively and literally! :lol2:

Are you suggesting death doesn't also have a symbolic meaning for people? I'm not trying to set you up or anything. I'm sincerely dumbfounded as to what you're suggesting. It sounds very strange and literalistic (materialistic too) to my phenomenological ears.

Impermanence makes life possible. Better back to metaphor.

HA! Okay. Wait a minute... are you an atheist zombie whose come back from the grave to tell us how death is a permenant nothingness that you never come back from... :>.>:

Oh and I'm sorry. They only had a ninja. No zombies yet. :cry:
thewhitesquirel

Postby Luminous Heart on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:17 pm

If we cannot change, grow up, grow old, learn, forget, get sick, get well, etc etc etc, are we alive?

To me impermanence is just as much a symbol of life as it is of death.

Sometimes I feel like death, though not really dead... you know what I mean. :)
When you learn to love hell, you will be in heaven.
~Thaddeus Golas
Luminous Heart

Postby prezental on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Sorry, did not watch the video.

I just want to ask the people who told that they often think about death, what are they actually thinking about?

The lost days that would be missed? The people left behind? What comes next?

Or what?
prezental

Postby PeterB on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:54 pm

I can only answer for myself...it takes the form of remembering that I and all those I love will die, and that time flies.
A story about Ajahn Chah. He had a favourite cup. It was old and cracked had been repaired with gold coloured resin.
Someone asked him if he was attached to it. He held it up to the light and looked at it and said.." I like it very much. And in my mind I have seen it in pieces on the floor a hundred times...always be letting go. "
PeterB

Postby Kojip on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:22 am

prezental wrote:Sorry, did not watch the video.

I just want to ask the people who told that they often think about death, what are they actually thinking about?

Or what?
Loved ones who disappear one by one. The freind who died from pancreatic cancer this past winter. Jaundice. Executions. Corpses in stacks here and there. The two racoons that liquified in our garage last year. The cousin who died in her bed and laid there for weeks in the summer until she burst and the smell alerted the authorities. The grid drawn in violet colored grease pencil on my fathers head to guide the radiation therapist, and the smell of cooked bone. You know... death, what's coming to you. :heya:

.. Not lost days since I won't be here to know the difference. People who have to care for me in the dying process which can be a reeeeal drag. Not what comes next, no more next.

But hey... there is also all the great stuff, like art, and trees, and slingshotting cartoon birds into cartoon pigs in shelters, creme brulee, and a warm October evening.
Kojip

Postby Seeker242 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:48 pm

prezental wrote:Sorry, did not watch the video.

Or what?

That is explained in the video. But, you did not watch it! :)
Kill a cat, with a dried shit stick, under a cypress tree in the courtyard, while eating three pounds of flax! Only a cow goes Moooo!
Seeker242

Postby prezental on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Seeker242 wrote:That is explained in the video. But, you did not watch it! :)

I did watch it after sending my question. Thanks for the responses.
prezental

Postby Jok_Hae on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 pm

As i know some others do, I never watch the video. This time I did. And I am grateful. :Namaste:
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Next

Return to Theravadan Buddhism