Welcome admin !

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

Vipassana

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

Vipassana

Postby Muay Thai Tim on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Has anyone here practiced the labeling technique? For example, on the inhale note: rising; on the exhale note: falling; when thinking, note: thinking.

I find this technique to be very useful in gaining insight into the mind and body connection. This is the only form of meditation that I can practice and benefit from due to my schizophrenia.

Any thoughts?

:Namaste:

Tim
Muay Thai Tim

Re: Vipassana

Postby Chrisd on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:11 pm

There was a short discussion viewtopic.php?f=57&t=8831&hilit=+vipassana+and+zen+the+difference
maybe something useful there.

I've also heard of a friend that she loved it compared to Zen. I can't find her explanation. The atmosphere in practice places is a bit warmer from what I've seen and heard. I'm more attracted to cold places :ninja: :lol2:
Chrisd

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 am

Tim –
Because of your mental condition I feel that it is very difficult for anyone - bar very few - to comment with any surety on the points you make. It is appropriate for you to work out these things yourself (IMO).

Personally, I feel the technique you describe is as natural a pro-active practice as one can make. It is virtually identical to what some teachers advocate as a normal Zen technique. I doubt that it can do any harm, only good. For some of us, it may be all we need to do. Simple, clean techniques are often superior anyway. Meido often refers to ‘belly breathing’. These techniques hold the mind in the moment.

However, I would make the point that: (quote) ‘I find this technique to be very useful in gaining insight into the mind and body connection’ (unquote) is not an objective in our practice. It can only be a hindrance. Legitimate Zen insight is beyond words.

My own experience is that, providing I sit enough, these techniques come of their own accord. The mind settles and follows the moment. Often this is breath. It may also be the sound of the wind or a bird-song. I feel that these events are more powerful when they come of their own accord. In a sense, imposing a technique is rushing things and smacks of little faith. If you sit enough I suspect that labelling will fall by the wayside. When we notice that there is ‘no thinking’ Zazen is kicking in.

Don’t meddle, just sit, and let things arrive when they are ready. This approach can do no harm. It takes great faith to do nothing. What better starting point?

Just some prattle from this moment in time.

M
Michaeljc

Postby Rocket on Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Muay Thai Tim wrote:Has anyone here practiced the labeling technique? For example, on the inhale note: rising; on the exhale note: falling; when thinking, note: thinking.

I find this technique to be very useful in gaining insight into the mind and body connection. This is the only form of meditation that I can practice and benefit from due to my schizophrenia.

Any thoughts?

:Namaste:

Tim

Hi Tim

Vipassana =, more or less, "insight", ie far deeper than usual capactiy to see into realities, situations, people with a more penetrating insight. It is a direct result of the presence of the mental state referred to as Samadhi. No Samadhi, no insight. Period.

I have wondered for years about the Theravada approach, seems to me they have the cart before the horse, or , the insight before the samadhi. IN my experience they don't even mention samadhi but it has been 20+ years since I walked away from that setting, things may have changed. I don't think so.

Samadhi is a mental state characterized by relaxation and stillness … both to a degree you might think of them as an altered state. Utterly without any physical or mental tension, agenda, preferences. There is no actual content in the mind unless and until you focus your attention on something … yet one is 100% awake alert present to the moment. When one gets to the point the mind is so still all the internal noise, involuntary or invasive or obsessive thoughts no longer exist ... then we have tons more brain power at our disposal for things we chose to focus on so we have insight. It seems a lot like having twice as many brain cells yet in actuality it is only "the silence of the obsessive, non stop, involuntary, invasive rumination." The usual mental noise and rumination and obsessive thinking goes dormant.

Getting that relaxed and then getting the mind that still is quite a challenge these days. In the west, in industrialized societies, we are saturated from birth with go go go with zero value placed on stop stop stop, not even for a minute. Not even as an exerxize like jogging or whatever. So …. most of us westerners especially urban dwellers programmed that …. to achieve and acquire is the purpose of life …. have to do a bit, or a lot, of unlearning.

IF you want to you can PM me, I have a background in psychology, psychotherapy, medicine and psychiatry, and perhaps more importantly for someone with a "diagnosis", transpersonal psychology.

These comments might push peoples buttons. So far that is my experience.

Regards…..
Rocket

Return to Theravadan Buddhism