Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 am
Pathway:  Board index General Buddhist Discussion Theravadan Buddhism

Letting Go...

Discussion of Theravada Buddhism in the light of Zen.

Letting Go...

Postby Muay Thai Tim on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:38 pm

"Q: I still have many thoughts. My mind wanders a lot even though I am trying to be mindful."

"A: Don't worry about this. Try t o keep your mind in the present. Whatever there is that arises in the mind, just watch it. Just let go of it. Don't even wish to be rid of thoughts. Then the mind will reach its natural state. No discriminating between good and bad, hot and cold, fast and slow. No me and no you, no self at all. Just what there is. When you walk on alms round no need to do anything special. Simply walk and see what there is. No need to cling to isolation or seclusion. Wherever you are, know yourself by being natural and watching. If doubts arise, watch them come and go. It's very simple. Hold on to nothing. It is as though you ware walking down a road. Periodically you will run into obstacles. When you meet defilements just see them and just overcome them by letting go of them. Don't think about the obstacles you have passed already. Don't worry about those you have not yet seen. Stick to the present. Don't be concerned about the length of the road or about a destination. Everything is changing. Whatever you pass, do not cling to it. Eventually the mind will reach its natural balance where practice is automatic. All things will come and go of themselves."

Answered by Achaan Chaa.

I especially like the quote, "Don't even wish to be rid of thoughts." I think sometimes we can get caught up into thinking that we need to rid the mind of thoughts and this can bring about more suffering.
Muay Thai Tim

Re: Letting Go...

Postby Avisitor on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:37 pm

:)X

Thanks for that.
It makes sense to let go and just remain aware.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby Muay Thai Tim on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Avisitor wrote::)X

Thanks for that.
It makes sense to let go and just remain aware.

No problem at all. Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, it makes total sense to let go and be mindful, but it sure does take a lot of practice. But, I guess that is even making out to be something it's not. Mindfulness shouldn't be difficult or give us a restricted feeling; it's free-flowing and natural.

:Namaste:

Tim
Muay Thai Tim

Postby Carol on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:39 am

Moderator's Note: This topic was moved from the Zen Buddhism section to the Theravadan Buddhism section for purposes of clarity. Ajaahn Chaa is a teacher in the Thai forest tradition of Theravadan Buddhism.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Return to Theravadan Buddhism