Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:00 am
Pathway:  Board index Welcome to Zen Forum International Feedback & Support

an introduction

For constructive feedback and support questions concerning ZFI.

an introduction

Postby clyde on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:27 pm

I posted this four years ago as ZFI launched:

Subject: my introduction

clyde wrote:My name is Clyde Grossman.

I am a long time lay Buddhist practitioner, reading, studying and pondering the Dharma on-and-off for 40 years (and some years more off than on). I belong to no tradition, sect, or teacher though my focus has been mainly Ch’an/Zen, with some Tibetan Buddhism, a little Pure Land, and for the last half-dozen years the Pali suttas. All my readings (and now audio/video too) are in English or English translation. Until very recently I belonged to no sangha, I was a ‘solitary practitioner’, but about six months ago I began participating at a local sangha, the Sacramento Buddhist Meditation Group ( http://www.sbmg.org/ ) which is a peer-led, non-sectarian Buddhist sangha with visiting teachers from all traditions. The SBMG may be the only such sangha in the world and it just celebrated its 18th anniversary.

I look forward to participating here with other Zen practitioners and offer this poem:

Alone, an empty-can-sound,
Here, the chatterings of monkeys,
Still, no-soul to no-soul,
we seek community.

Do no harm,
clyde

Since then I’ve continued to participate at SBMG; I’ve become a member and have taken an active role in the sangha. Belonging to a breathe-to-breathe sangha, a community of Dharma practitioners, has been profound and taught me the significance of the Third Jewel. I’ve also attended a fair number of ‘one day’ retreats with a few Northern California based Zen teachers. And recently I did a 5 day personal retreat.

It was my hope four years ago, as it is now, that ZFI would be an open forum for Zen practitioners and people interested in Zen; the only requirement for continued membership was Right Speech and following the simple guidelines expressed in the Terms Of Service. ZFI may not be perfect or what we wish it to be, but I believe ZFI performs a beneficial service to the greater Zen Sangha and the Dharma, and is a reflection of us, its members – as we are.

Happy Birthday, ZFI! :party:
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

DO NO HARM
clyde

Re: an introduction

Postby Jok_Hae on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks for practicing Clyde, and thanks for being you!

:Namaste:

Keith
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 am

It looks like you are not just a member, but also on the board of directors.

I really like the ecumenical flavor presented by the Sacramento Buddhist Meditation Group's website.

In about 75 years it will be fascinating to see if this approach (as well as the other Western experiments in Buddha Dharma) has developed strong roots.

_/|\_
Gregory
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby Pedestrian on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 am

I'm very happy you're here, Clyde!
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby partofit22 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:00 am

happy anniversary, clyde- :heya:
partofit22

Postby christopher::: on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:56 pm

clyde wrote:Happy Birthday, ZFI! :party:

:Namaste:
::::: Buddha Nature: Heart of the Dharma :::: Tao & Zen (Facebook page) ::::
"You are the sky. Everything else, it’s just the weather.” ~Pema Chodron
christopher:::
Founding Member

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:39 am

Howdy, Clyde, hoping you're well. I haven't seen you around and about here in a while, and I hope the political campaigns are not wearing you down too much. ;)

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Return to Feedback & Support