Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 pm
Pathway:  Board index Welcome to Zen Forum International Feedback & Support

New team of moderators

For constructive feedback and support questions concerning ZFI.

Re: New team of moderators

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 am

As I mentioned earlier we can set up a money pot here : https://www.leetchi.com/en (to pay for site hosting fee together)

Its a virtual kitty or money pot where anyone (with a credit card ) can donate money, even anonymously if they wish to. Its safe and easy to set up; I'll do it if I can get a few okays from you all.

PS. I am vaguely internet savvy and have created websites in the past.

PPS. I seem to be the only potential moderator at present.

PPPS. unfortunately leetchi.com doesn't work with paypal - however shareagift.com does (I've not used sharegift before but it seems legit)
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby [james] on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks to those who have put my name forward as a moderator. I will say yes. Although I think that no moderation is mostly fine I am willing to accept that there may be situations when it could be helpful. I cannot see myself ever voting to ban someone but am willing to flow (perhaps not quietly) with the prevailing currents of the forum membership. I would also like to see moderation be a more visible process accessible for supportive and critical comment by all active members.

I have zero practical skills to offer in terms of website technical management though I can learn. Someone with that capacity is essential, I think, though not necessarily as part of a moderation team.

So if the above is ok with other moderators and others who have been posting in this thread, then count me in. To anyone who objects to my being a moderator I welcome your comments and cautions.

My own participation in the upcoming transition will have to be interrupted from January 24 to February 05 as I have already enrolled in a Vipassana meditation retreat for that time.

My votes for moderator are macdougdoug, partofit22 (who has already declined) and Littletsu

More pressing right now is effecting the transfer of domain registration to a new owner. I am unable and unwilling to be this person. I did read somewhere (Godaddy.com, I think) that ownership personal information, while required, could remain hidden from public view ... at a small cost. It might be worthwhile enquiring if the zenforuminternational.org domain name can be owned by "Zen Forum International" and paid for by the membership collectively through PayPal or something similar.

Thanks again,

james
Last edited by [james] on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[james]

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

read Carol's post, she says we need a person with a credit card. I imagine the existing structure would all be transferred to that person... no need to find other sites, etc.

as I see it, paypal might be a cleaner way to move money directly from person to person ....something to consider.

I think it's also worthy of getting clear about commitments. There are only a few people who express interest so the work would fall on those. Agree James, light moderation seems to work most of the time. Is this the next step? If not, the time left can be used for any completion felt needed.

Personally, I haven't spent much time on the forum this year. I'm happy to contribute but don't see myself participating on a regular basis.

If people want to talk, there's always the possibility of setting up a group, public or private, on Facebook... but, that's a wholly diff dynamic and there is no archive or thread tracking that we enjoy on the forum.

linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 pm

So, we now have 2 that are available. I would like to see a women on board, Teresa?

I do not see it as essential that the 'owner' is a moderator. Maybe they can have consultation but not decision rights in the moderation process.

While there are grey areas moderators are not unlike judges in that they must operate within the "law" i.e. the terms of use. The most important part of this process is friendly warnings and post deletion when the terms are compromised.

Its not what you say its how you say it, as is true in general life. It would be a great training experience for anyone interested in diplomacy and counseling.

As I see it

m
Last edited by Michaeljc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaeljc

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Linda - I feel that you would make a great moderator. Come on, make the plunge :heya:
Last edited by Michaeljc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaeljc

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Michaeljc

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm willing to contribute financially- But I'm also alright with the closing of the site- I have no idea if keeping it visible, but inactive, is an option and or if once closed couldn't be opened ever again to posting, or could- Either way, open or closed, I believe requires an owner- Also, if one were to purchase the site and keep it locked to future comments but available solely as reference could the new owner be legally held accountable for comments and postings made while under prior ownership?

A group on Facebook is an option, as Linda has suggested- Christopher:::, a founding member of this site, has a beautiful, active Facebook community already in place with a substantial following- https://www.facebook.com/TaoZen2012
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Smiles to all. Looks like the reincarnation survey-team has found most of its new pack of Lamas (llamas?).

New life! to ZFI,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Michaeljc wrote:I would like to see a women on board, Teresa?

Teresa would be lovely, on board. She has already declined to undertake and endure responsibility, woe, alas.

I remain indebted to her interminably for her finest product I've seen so far, her photo with caption, "sweater .. ".

There should be a Nobel Prize for such things.

'part_of_it'... (as I parse the parsley), Thanks! And thanks even yet again.

--Joe / word_worker-woodworker / (in-the-Desert)

p.s. See the very bottom of Page 2 in the thread here for p. Teresa's photo: :Namaste:

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=10386

p.p.s (See the same thread for other photos of hers).
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:48 am

Hi guys, wow I'm so happy to see that it looks that ZFI will continue! :)

As for myself I'm out for both owner or moderator since I decided that within a few weeks I will live tv and internet free at home,
I will ofcourse remain on the internet but only frequently when I visit family or friends.

As Linda said the 100 bucks is no issue I could pay it whole or split it with others but for me is has to be via paypal, and whoever does "own" the site will receive the payment (whatever the amount is)

As for my vote regarding moderator (or owner);
Linda, Teresa, Joe, Michael, Macdougdoug. (I agree with whoever said it that no teacher should be owner or moderator)
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:56 am

partofit22 wrote:A group on Facebook is an option, as Linda has suggested- Christopher:::, a founding member of this site, has a beautiful, active Facebook community already in place with a substantial following- https://www.facebook.com/TaoZen2012

Facebook is no option for me and there are other out there who don't go on facebook (or twitter or instagram or whatever's out there) :heya:

before you know it the entire internet begins with http/facebook :PP:
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:02 pm

fukasetsu wrote:As for my vote regarding moderator (or owner);
Linda, Teresa, Joe, [et al.]

Fuki, good to see you. Better that I remain a bedbug, and not be one of the exterminators right now.

But as I wrote, if a new mod needs or wants to step down soon or eventually, I'd consider being trained and joining the admin team. That may be for later, or never.

Meanwhile, it's great that ZFI will remain as an archive of banked and searchable information, and a source where people can discuss practice and Buddhadharma, "live", with other practitioners and with Zen Buddhist teachers. Fantastic resource.

Hoping that 2017 is great for you and your family, Marcel. Healthy and happy,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Ani - If I can get enough support here will you take over technical responsibilities? This needs to happen sooner rather than later. Personally I feel you should be free to make recommendations. You are the man for the job IMO

I can:

Provide credit card and/or make international transfer to an account in most major currencies

Thanks for your input

Michael
Michaeljc

Postby [james] on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Michaeljc wrote:Ani - If I can get enough support here will you take over technical responsibilities? This needs to happen sooner rather than later. Personally I feel you should be free to make recommendations. You are the man for the job IMO

I can:

Provide credit card and/or make international transfer to an account in most major currencies

Thanks for your input

Michael

So would you be the owner of record, Michael?
That would be fine with me.
And Anirukta managing technical responsibilities?
Also fine with me.
[james]

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:44 pm

As I recall when I was doing technical, ownership, and web-mastering duties, it was possible to pay for multiple-year registration -- and for web-hosting -- at a discount. Maybe that would be worthwhile. Earlier-on, there were concerns in some cases that certain companies might not last, so there may have been reservations about signing multiple-year agreements. But I found that "GoDaddy" has been reliable, long-lived, transparent, affordable and a known quantity, just up the road a piece from me here in the desert, to boot.

(Michael, as an aside, speaking of paying in many or any major currency, I recently acquired some uncirculated Zimbabwean ten trillion dollar serial-numbered notes. The range of denominations in Zimbabwe goes up to 100 trillion, but I did not want to max-out so conspicuously.

Intriguing and pretty, their currency. I gave some away as gifts in presentation-form at Christmas to friends who (already... ) have everything, ...and no longer much place to put it. Although it's a big number at face value, it does not take up much space. And, hard not to spend all in one place!, if you choose to spend it, seeing that it's worth nano-cents on the dollar. But, 10-to-the-tenth-power dollars..., wow. Enough to make even an astronomer's head spin).

--Joe

zimb_10Trill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert_woodworker

Postby Carol on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Reading your discussion so far, looks like you're moving in a good direction.

Here is what I want. Someone with a credit/debit card to pay the webhosting fee to Jumpline or about January 27th. I'll work with that person to make the transfer to them, so that their name and credit/debit card will be on file with the web host and not mine. If this is not paid by February 1st, Jumpline could take the site down. So this is the first priority.

I'm not sure when the domain name expires. I need to research that. I'm not sure when I paid it last, how much, or to whom!

So, as Linda has suggested, once the person whose name and credit card will be on the line with the web host steps forward -- others can contribute to that person to help cover the $98.72 annual hosting fee. Probably easiest to do that by Paypal.

~Carol
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby Michaeljc on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:27 pm

It sounds like you want us to continue on with the existing hosting e.t.c. Carol. Here is my proposal:

I make details of my active debit card available, pay the costs, and agree to become 'owner'

But I would like to hand over the mechanics to Ani. I don't enjoy fiddling around with these things. I would PM my card details e.t.c. to Ani who would be free to go with the existing hosting even if it costs a bit more. We could change it after 12 months if desirable.

I feel that we do need someone technical in the mix. Ani is highly qualified to do this.

I know that some of you will help me with costs. How we do this can be discussed later. My card is not at great risk as I only keep small amounts in it.

As owner I do not feel that I need to be a moderator. In a way being independent is more robust i.e. I cannot protect a private agenda. If Ani can give me a nom ne plume all the better.

I feel that this is the most seamless solution

Regards to all

Michael
Michaeljc

Postby Michaeljc on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:41 pm

There are people here who IMO would make great moderators (e.g. Linda) who feel the work load will be too high. It does not have to be this way.

Should a team of 3 work in shifts (say one week) of reading and be given some liberties for a quick response it could work out well. e.g If any one member was at liberty to issue courteous warnings that the terms of use were being compromised. They would refer back to other team members for any more serious response. Friendly warnings are visible and play an important role.

Rank and file can have an important part to play too: the report button. None of us like telling tales but there can become a time. I have only used it once during my time here. But, as Carol says, it can make the moderators job easier. In saying that I feel that at least one moderator should be reading all posts at any given time.

m
Michaeljc

Postby Carol on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Michaeljc wrote:It sounds like you want us to continue on with the existing hosting e.t.c. Carol. Here is my proposal:

I make details of my active debit card available, pay the costs, and agree to become 'owner'

But I would like to hand over the mechanics to Ani. I don't enjoy fiddling around with these things. I would PM my card details e.t.c. to Ani who would be free to go with the existing hosting even if it costs a bit more. We could change it after 12 months if desirable.

I feel that we do need someone technical in the mix. Ani is highly qualified to do this.

I know that some of you will help me with costs. How we do this can be discussed later. My card is not at great risk as I only keep small amounts in it.

As owner I do not feel that I need to be a moderator. In a way being independent is more robust i.e. I cannot protect a private agenda. If Ani can give me a nom ne plume all the better.

I feel that this is the most seamless solution

Regards to all

Michael

I believe if you do not continue with the existing hosting, the entire forum will be lost -- including its archives and membership lists, etc. So, that seems much better to me.

I will need to make arrangements with the webhost to transfer the account to the new owner -- that would be you. You can then appoint an administrator with technical skills to manage those things. I have no technical skills. That's not what is needed to be the owner.

So, how you arrange things after you takeover is up to you. I'd like some reassurance that the forum members like this plan and will help you out with moderation, technical maintenance and so forth ... it can be very hard to do if everyone has different visions of which way to run the forum. So keep working on that, too.

You and I will need to communicate privately so I can get your credit card info and so forth to make the changes. We'll need a secure way to do that.

~Carol
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby Michaeljc on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:35 am

OK :peace:
Michaeljc

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & Support