Welcome admin !

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:43 pm
Pathway:  Board index Welcome to Zen Forum International Feedback & Support

New team of moderators

For constructive feedback and support questions concerning ZFI.

New team of moderators

Postby macdougdoug on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 am

:heya:
If you want to take on the responsability of moderation, or if you think you know someone who might make a good candidate for the post, let's start the ball rolling here by naming names.
:Namaste:
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Re: New team of moderators

Postby macdougdoug on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:48 am

I vote for me : macdougdoug for moderator! :)X

(and I nominate desert_woodworker, partofit22 & [james]. Please respond by nay or okay)
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby anka on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:32 am

I would request Linda be one if she would agree to it. She has kept things civil even when the rest of us have slid off the rails slightly. Seems to have the perfect temperament for forum moderation.
anka

Postby Lunarious1987 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm

There shouldn't be use of force "(mod team)" for defending yourself. Like Go Gou and Avisitor said, you can pass by what you don't like like generous gentlemen. Carol and the mods shouldn't be relieved of mod responsibilities for when it gets serious, real serious. Things are allright now, it is just suffering.

Peace
- Don't be thankful to be righteous. Be righteous to be thankful.
- Shia: "We are the friends/owners of proof, wherever it bends we bend."
- Imam Hussein was once asked: what is affluence? He said : Decreasing your wishes , and being satisfied with what is enough for you.”
Lunarious1987

Postby partofit22 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Nay- I do not want the responsibility-

My choices are Linda, Macdoug and [james] who is also [[james]]
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:44 pm

I wish a teacher would be among any moderating faculty (even primarily as an advisor, if he/she would not wish to be a "decider").

This mitigates somewhat the likelihood of error-making by "the blind leading the blind". A serious matter.

Perhaps, instead, the team of teachers should always be consulted or polled (even, say, all ten ZFI teachers-of-record) on moderating matters, even if no individual teacher wishes to be a sole contactee and resource for the regular empaneled admins and moderators. I'd say the teacher(s) would not have to do Admin technical work (an important though often nearly invisible part of a forum site's web maintenance), but such willingness, technical knowledge, and skill would also be a plus (although I can appreciate that teachers are already prob. "busy enough" with their students, sanghas, and families).

Among the regular members currently nominated, I would like to see included (Mr., or Ms.?, dunno) Caodemarte. And, Littletsu.

I'd also nominate Anders, and not merely because his serving as moderator or admin might encourage him to post here more often; someone whose presence I palpably miss... .

thanks!,

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desert_woodworker

Postby Carol on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 pm

ZFI also needs new owners. I want to transfer the domain name and the web hosting to someone else.

The web hosting is with jumpline and the annual renewal in the amount of $98.72 is due on February first. So let me know beforehand who wants to takeover.

I'll need to research where the domain name is registered and the cost. I've forgotten that.

Thanks,

~Carol
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby Linda Anderson on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 pm

macdougdoug wrote:I vote for me : macdougdoug for moderator! :)X

(and I nominate desert_woodworker, partofit22 & [james]. Please respond by nay or okay)

I'll second that Doug.... I'll vote for you.

And, Desert Joe, James, Anka.

I know there are others out there that I can't think of. I'd say the most important thing is wanting a balanced and welcoming forum ... don't worry if you wonder if you are qualified. Anyone with a sincere interest would do fine. It's a great opportunity to step in, learn, grow and share. ... It's enough to do our best, notice and pay attention. my two cents.

Thanks for the nomination, I will respectfully decline. It's more than I can take on.

Also, I have unending gratitude for Carol and Gregory who along with others founded this forum back in 2009 and all the moderators who followed ....

..... Ten Thousand Times Thank You!! :hugs:

:Namaste:
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Michaeljc on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 pm

I wish a teacher would be among any moderating faculty (even primarily as an advisor, if he/she would not wish to be a "decider").

My own feeling that is that a teacher should not be part of the team. Rather that one should be invited in to a consulting role.

As for the team I would seriously consider 3 from the following:

Linda
partofit22
Desertwoodworker
fukasetsu
macdougdoug
Anders
Jock

Should they be available. We have not seen the last 2 for some time. We also need a technical member who knows their way around internet mechanics and who would ‘own’ the site. For this role I propose anirukta.

I suggest to anyone relatively new to this forum to read through past posts of those who have been mentioned. It takes time to start seeing the people behind the posts.

I like the number of 3 for the monitoring panel. It makes for balanced decisions. Unfortunately the age of smart phone texting and internet has changed the landscape. Common courtesy is under threat. But this is first and foremost a Buddhist forum with terms of use. Posters will need to be regularly (and transparently) reminded of this. Ample warning should precede any expulsion.

If we don’t regain some control this forum will die (IMO)

Cheers

Michael
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Michaeljc wrote:

My own feeling that is that a teacher should not be part of the team. Rather that one should be invited in to a consulting role.

That would do nicely, Michael, I think, and I hope the new team will approach teachers -- or a teacher -- on matters where, otherwise, it would be blind-leading-the-blind (or inmates-in-charge-of-the-Institution, as the other wise phrase goes).

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:52 pm

mdd, et alia,

Thanks for your nomination, and, mdd, I second -- "third", etc. -- your nomination of yourself (you know who you are).

I wish the "whoever-three" well, and I absent myself with gratitude from this round of empanelment.

But if some one of the newest moderators should soon or sometime in their tenure wish to step down in whichever duties, I'll try to fill the role as an "alternate", or replacement (my reasons, at this richly busy time are various, but can't be too interesting to others).

I'll say that my greater (greatest... ) enthusiasm is still in practical lay-Chan-and-Zen-Buddhist Buddhadharma, and its further development in the West. I look forward to further discussion of this and other Buddhadharma here at a 'reincarnate-ZFI', ...just like the old ZFI, ...which has set a great model from its first invention, thanks to Carol and Gregory, other kind mods, and ten or more great and generous Teachers, and its myriad Members.

I'll prefer as an ordinary member to continue to enjoy starting new threads for discussion, and to reply my best, there, and in the threads of others, come what may.

I encourage more members to start threads relevant to the purposes and speciality of ZFI, and would encourage some members who merely comment and snipe and snark at other more active members' style and purposes, to contribute more, and criticize less. It's easy to be the armchair critic, while more challenging to create, and to present positive substantive offerings instead. This is very important to a healthy forum of any specialization.

Don't forget Music, and Arts, and the physical, here: Only about a thirteenth-part of Zen Buddhist practice is something called zazen, absolutely indispensable, and defining of our sect; but, never, ever sufficient: Never once.

:Namaste:,

rgds,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby macdougdoug on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:40 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Michaeljc wrote:

Guo Gu has already commented on the subject - which I quote here:

once in a while someone joins the forum and his/her views differ from the rest of the pack here and so s/he is called out and lambasted. if ppl don't agree with their views, just don't respond. why rebuke them? everyone has his or her own view. everyone has his or her own path.

there is no need to fear internet browsers taking those (perceived) erroneous views as "correct." buddhadharma does not need to be defended. the more we rebuke others, the worse it gets. and we (despite our good intentions to help or defend the dharma) exhibit vexations and perpetuate self-grasping. not to mention we hurt others. this is not practice.

there's a history why ppl behave the way they do; there are reasons why ppl come here to this forum. some have suffered; others are actually suffering from mental illness now! still, others are just simply lonely. why is it that we cannot accept them? pls have compassion--not only for them, but for yourself... in rejecting others you have already rejected yourself.

be kind to others in speech--or typing words out to others--and don't jump on the bandwagon to criticize or try to correct others based on different beliefs/view points, etc. especially when vexations are present in one's mind... and especially when the person one's criticizing is troubled by so-called disabilities (in western medical diagnosis). this is basic etiquette of how to treat another human being. pls don't respond if you don't like what is being said by the other person, and his/her thread will not get traction and will fade in its own accord.

if i don't point this out on the forum, then i'm not doing my job as one of the teachers of this forum. as a teacher sometimes i have to say things. that said, i will not point this out ever again. this forum should be open to all views and should be mature enough to monitor by itself, by its members.
Guo Gu (my highlighting)
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 pm

To continue to quote Guo Gu, "It's all good".

But with the proviso -- please -- that, here, the TOU are respected, and not infringed.

Let's not become weak as water. Kudos!, moderators.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Carol on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Carol wrote:ZFI also needs new owners. I want to transfer the domain name and the web hosting to someone else.

The web hosting is with jumpline and the annual renewal in the amount of $98.72 is due on February first. So let me know beforehand who wants to takeover.

I'll need to research where the domain name is registered and the cost. I've forgotten that.

Thanks,

~Carol

Since no one has responded to this yet, I need to make it clear that I will not be renewing the web hosting on February 1st. So, someone or some group will need to step forward with the money before then.

Let me know who you are and we'll work out the details by PM.

Thanks,

~Carol
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Going once, going twice. A whole forum could be yours, under your ownership. You don't even have to be a 'Donald Trump' (whoever he is: all those dollars, and no ...sense ;) ).

For a small sum, it's a big gift to all who would frequent it, and contribute to it intellectually and spiritually, and benefit from its textual transactions, coming and going.

Carol, I'd front the world the hundred bucks, but some would think me suspect for doing so, while my only concern is Buddhadharma (let's let the willing new volunteer moderators divvy it up, or else solicit subscriptions. I understand, though, that a single [or corporate?] owner must be on-record, in any -- and every -- case. That is the inevitable mechanics of it. I've happily been through this deliciousness before, for various sanghas and sites).

Currently retired, :tongueincheek:

tnx,

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Carol on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 am

desert_woodworker wrote:Going once, going twice. A whole forum could be yours, under your ownership. You don't even have to be a 'Donald Trump' (whoever he is: all those dollars, and no ...sense ;) ).

For a small sum, it's a big gift to all who would frequent it, and contribute to it intellectually and spiritually, and benefit from its textual transactions, coming and going.

Carol, I'd front the world the hundred bucks, but some would think me suspect for doing so, while my only concern is Buddhadharma (let's let the willing new volunteer moderators divvy it up, or else solicit subscriptions. I understand, though, that a single [or corporate?] owner must be on-record, in any -- and every -- case. That is the inevitable mechanics of it. I've happily been through this deliciousness before, for various sanghas and sites).

Currently retired, :tongueincheek:

tnx,

--Joe

Yes. A named person or entity must be publicly named as the "owner". Also, they want a credit card for billing purposes. Talk among yourselves about who that should be. I needs to be someone on the moderation team for consistency purposes. You don't want an owner pulling the rug out. You want the owner to be part of the decision making.

So, make sure you are a compatible group, with similar moderation philosophies, and you will save yourselves a LOT of grief.

~Carol
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby Linda Anderson on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:59 am

If you folks can work out your commitments and moderator duties.....

I'm willing to pay the full amount and/or contribute to the $100 for this year. Perhaps we can use paypal or other means to transfer funds. However, I do not want to assume ownership or use my credit card for the accounts. I do not want my name appearing on any domain or other ownership accounts. The mods can work that out.

I got to thinking about the generosity that Carol and Gregory as well as all the others have extended to us all to keep this going all these years. For those of you who don't know ZFI was started after stress and strain on another forum which ultimately ended. I'm reflecting on the early years when I learned so much and also had a forum to contribute my wisdom and experience. Many a day, it opened my heart before I set off for work.

This is yours to create again. I notice we always have a lot of guests tuning in.... if you'd like to join and contribute, here's your chance.

linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:45 am

Anirukta wrote:
Michaeljc wrote:We also need a technical member who knows their way around internet mechanics and who would ‘own’ the site. For this role I propose anirukta.

My primary laptop motherboard has failed, and on a secondary one I have erroneously wrongly formatted HDD, so being at the public terminal now I am not in the best shape technically, but I will think about that. thx

Ani - what we we need is for someone to communicate with Carol to tell us what to do and when. I have a debit card that works just like a credit card that I am prepared to offer as the 'owner'. I can upfront costs. If others want to contribute I can supply my paypal address. Is this the best approach? I am prepared to take a rather passive role as a moderator if that is necessary.

Conversely if you are prepared to take over ownership Ani, become a moderator and offer your credit/debit card, you have my full support.

Cheers

m
Michaeljc

Postby Michaeljc on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 am

Linda wrote quote] I notice we always have a lot of guests tuning in.... [/quote]

Now THAT is why I feel we should monitor. If we were in a private room I would feel quite differently. I can bar brawl with the best of them :)
Michaeljc

Postby Carol on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:15 am

Michaeljc wrote:Ani - what we we need is for someone to communicate with Carol to tell us what to do and when. I have a debit card that works just like a credit card that I am prepared to offer as the 'owner'. I can upfront costs. If others want to contribute I can supply my paypal address. Is this the best approach? I am prepared to take a rather passive role as a moderator if that is necessary.

Conversely if you are prepared to take over ownership Ani, become a moderator and offer your credit/debit card, you have my full support.

Cheers

m

Decide among yourselves who will be the registered owner of this site. That person's name will be publicly on the domain name and will be given to the webhost service. They will need a credit or debit card for billing. You can all take up a collection to help that person cover the costs if you want.

I don't want to transfer ownership to someone who does not have the support of others. So first talk it out among yourselves how you want to do that. You will also need a moderation team, and as I previously said, the site owner should participate in the moderation team to help keep things together and consistent.

When you've worked out who ... I'll contact the site host and domain registration to make the transfer.

Deadline to get it done should be about Friday, January 27th.

~Carol
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Feedback & Support